De La Hoya Vs. Mayweather

Fans of the sweet science, this is a highly anticipated fight in the boxing world. It's a great way for Oscar to go out, fighting the very best. It should make for a great boxing match if De la Hoya comes into the fight in peak condition, and Mayweather's hand isn't hurt. Anyways just getting some discussion going on who you have to win this fight, why, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Fans of the sweet science, this is a highly anticipated fight in the boxing world. It's a great way for Oscar to go out, fighting the very best. It should make for a great boxing match if De la Hoya comes into the fight in peak condition, and Mayweather's hand isn't hurt. Anyways just getting some discussion going on who you have to win this fight, why, etc.
I'm a fan of both fighters, more of floyd since we come from same city and gym, but after seeing pretty much all of their fights, I just don't know if floyd can handle oscars experience, size and power. Really I'm up in the air on this one, my heart says floyd, mind says oscar, but i like both and never wanted this fight to happen in the first place. First time i'm speechless as to who I want to win. I may just hibernate til next may so I don't have to wait.
  • 1 month later...
I'm a fan of both fighters, more of floyd since we come from same city and gym, but after seeing pretty much all of their fights, I just don't know if floyd can handle oscars experience, size and power. Really I'm up in the air on this one, my heart says floyd, mind says oscar, but i like both and never wanted this fight to happen in the first place. First time i'm speechless as to who I want to win. I may just hibernate til next may so I don't have to wait.
REally? I anticipate a Meriweather blowout. I dont think Oscar has ever been as good as Floyd at any point in his career. Guess we shall see.

current odds:May 5, 2007 - Mayweather Jr vs De La Hoya 5/5/2007 10:00 PM Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Oscar De La Hoya 1101 Floyd Mayweather Jr -240 1102 Oscar De La Hoya +200 5/5/2007 10:00 PM Mayweather Jr vs De La Hoya total rounds 1103 Over 11½ rounds -250 1104 Under 11½ rounds +210 I think the line is about perfect, couldn't bet either side at this point. As it gets closer, I'll probably be buying this one on ppv, very intriguing fight

Has the potential to be a classic. I really have no idea who's going to take it, but the best bet is Mayweather UD.

from ESPN.com:De La Hoya-Mayweather is expected to generate the largest live gate in Nevada history. The 1999 heavyweight championship rematch between Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield holds the current record with ticket sales totaling $16,830,300. The gate for De La Hoya-Mayweather could exceed $18 million because promoters have priced the tickets in the stratosphere. Ringside seats are $2,000; other tickets are priced at $1,500, $1,000, $750 and $350. By contrast, a ringside ticket for the highly anticipated Manny Pacquiao-Erik Morales rubber match at Las Vegas' Thomas & Mack Center cost just $500.The De La Hoya-Mayweather tickets are not on sale yet, but the date will be announced soon, Golden Boy said."This fight will be unlike any fight anyone has ever seen," said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer. "The promotion of this fight, from the initial press conference to fight night, also will be unprecedented in its scope. We have no doubt this will be the biggest boxing event of all time and one that will go down in the history books as such.""This is what boxing is all about, and fighting Floyd Mayweather is the type of fight that truly gets me motivated to go through a hard training camp and make the sacrifices I have to make to be the best," De La Hoya said. "We've talked about it, the press and the fans have asked for it, and now we're going to put it all on the line and fight. I can't wait for May 5."Mayweather (37-0, 24 KOs), won the welterweight title on a dominant decision victory against Carlos Baldomir on Nov. 4 and is now moving up in weight to challenge De La Hoya."I'm excited to get this opportunity to once again show why I'm pound-for-pound the best in the world and to add another title to my collection,"Mayweather said. "I respect everything Oscar has accomplished in this sport, but this time he's in over his head."Good stuff -- looking forward to it 5 months in advance

• 3 months later...
Anyone watch "De La Hoya/Mayweather 24/7" this past Sunday night?
I saw half of it then fell asleep
I saw half of it then fell asleep
It wasn't great, but I'm gonna continue to watch it.Interesting to see how each of them go about their training, the people they surround themselfs with, and the lives they live, IMO.
I think it's great that the boxing has been dominated by the Lightweights to the Middleweight division. I've long thought that these divisions offered the best of boxing. Don't get me wrong, when there is a dominant GOOD heavyweight champ its good for everybody. I just think that division has been ruined irreparably. Those guys are WAY to big to be considered anything other than a side show.De La Hoya Maywether has the potential to be one of the classics of the division and it all depends on if Mayweather comes to fight or win that night. I could easily see Floyd giving us a defensive grab move and poke fight. Although, by the way he is talking, one would think he is coming in the ring with bad intentions. Like they say, everybody has a "Game Plan" until they get HIT. I can see Floyd coming to fight and then doing the run-n-grab when De La Hoya rocks him with a left hook. We will see come May fifth. I am enjoying the 24/7 show.

I'm not really a fan of either but I'm excited about this fight just because I know it will be great. I'll take Oscar by TKO, he is the biggest, strongest fighter that Floyd has ever faced, I think Oscar will rough Flloyd up on the inside then land his combinations.

The Second Episode of 24/7.This a very interesting look into the training camps and personalities of these two men. I wonder if Freddie Roach knew that it was Roger Mayweather calling in to him on what appeared to be a radio show. The whole return of the father, Mayweather Sr, to his prodigal son is turning into an interesting dynamic of the fight and show. For those of you who don't know the Mayweathers are a boxing family. Roger is a two time world champ and is his current trainer. He is the second oldest of the three brothers and he lost his title in a brutal fight with Cesar Chavez in 89'. The youngest, Jeff, was also a title holder. Sr was a good boxer but never made it to a title fight and was sent to prison for a time. I guess that is why there is so much animosity between him and his son. The last thing any fighter needs in his camp is distraction and I couldn't imagine any bigger distraction than this three way power struggle. Oscar is coming off as a professional and family man, almost to perfect. I wonder, since he is the owner of the fight and the show essentially, if this is contrived on his part; it seems genuine. I think its a huge advantage for Oscar to be able to spar with Sugar Shane. Think about it. Who does Floyd Jr have that can give him that kind of test on a daily basis in his camp? Fity cent aka Curtis? My view is still the same. Expect a De La Hoya victory unless Floyd Jr. goes into the grab and jab mode like he did against Carlos Manuel Baldomir.

• 2 weeks later...

De La Hoya, FTW. While what Mayweather may be portraying on 24/7 is "real", I'm put off by his big mouth, bling-that, greatest-ever attitude. It will be a pleasure to see him finally fight someone that will put him to the test. De la Hoya has always been a class act in/out of the ring and I'm hoping (optimistically) that he shuts Mayweather up.

De La Hoya, FTW. While what Mayweather may be portraying on 24/7 is "real", I'm put off by his big mouth, bling-that, greatest-ever attitude. It will be a pleasure to see him finally fight someone that will put him to the test. De la Hoya has always been a class act in/out of the ring and I'm hoping (optimistically) that he shuts Mayweather up.
Twelve hours to go, I can hardly wait. I'm prepping the food and getting the grill ready for tonight.

what time does the fight start tonight?? i have to be at work til 11pm eastern time but my buddy wants to order it ppv and i said i would split it with him, but i dont want to miss anything. i know the actual ppv starts at like 9 45 pm est, any ideas on the actual main event starting time?

what time does the fight start tonight?? i have to be at work til 11pm eastern time but my buddy wants to order it ppv and i said i would split it with him, but i dont want to miss anything. i know the actual ppv starts at like 9 45 pm est, any ideas on the actual main event starting time?
What he said. I get it for free on my FTA dish !!

i just laid 50 on the golden boy. getting 8-1odds from the bar owner here in the town i live in.

What a lousy fight. Mayweather basically did the opposite of kicking someones ***. I guess if I walked up to somebody in a bar, and hit them in the face, and then ran away, round and round in circles, until I found just the right time to dart in again and throw one shot, and then run around some more- what a complete dog. he talked alot of **** to basically fight like he was afraid of De La Hoya, and then had the nerve to say that he gave the public what they wanted, and that he was going to retire because he had nothing left to prove. Really? You just spent a half an hour running away from an ageing fighter. You didn't prove ****. It's alright, though, it's time you went and made shitty rap album anyway.

What a lousy fight. Mayweather basically did the opposite of kicking someones ***. I guess if I walked up to somebody in a bar, and hit them in the face, and then ran away, round and round in circles, until I found just the right time to dart in again and throw one shot, and then run around some more- what a complete dog. he talked alot of **** to basically fight like he was afraid of De La Hoya, and then had the nerve to say that he gave the public what they wanted, and that he was going to retire because he had nothing left to prove. Really? You just spent a half an hour running away from an ageing fighter. You didn't prove ****. It's alright, though, it's time you went and made shitty rap album anyway.
There's more to boxing than kicking people's ***.
This is what MMA and the Heavyweight division of boxing have produced... how anyone could watch this fight and say that FMJr didn't dominate it doesn't understand the sport. I thought this was a tremendous fight, and FMjr is just the superior technical fighter... too fast for Oscar... great fight.
This is what MMA and the Heavyweight division of boxing have produced... how anyone could watch this fight and say that FMJr didn't dominate it doesn't understand the sport. I thought this was a tremendous fight, and FMjr is just the superior technical fighter... too fast for Oscar... great fight.
I am a huge boxing fan, and completely understand what you are saying, except Mayweather wasn't dominant in any sense of the word. He never even hurt him. If it wasn't for Oscar going after him, they may never have hit each other. It was dissapointing all around.

"Ringside punching stats heavily favored Mayweather, crediting him with landing 207 of 481 punches to 122 of 587 for De La Hoya. Mayweather also landed more power punches than De La Hoya, outscoring him 138-82." - APi didnt see the fight, and from what I have read, it sounds like it was pretty dull. lets see FMj 481/12=40 punches per rdDLH 587/12=49 punches per rdWay to bring it!! glad I didnt waste my money on this.

Looks to me that De La Hoya lost this fight when he chose Freddie Roach Over FLoyd Sr. When your business partner, Hopkins, has to stand up and yell at you to motivate you then your trainer isn't doing a large part of his job. I still remember how instrumental Teddy Atlas was in the Holyfield/Moore fight. "Your doing just enough to keep him off you, LISTEN you need to throw punches out there,......."This is a big part of a trainers responsibility, motivating your fighter to do what was working in the fight. At no point did Freddy convey the level of urgency needed after the 8th round. When it comes down to it, if De La Hoya had pressed his jab from that round on, he would have easily accumulated the points to win. He may have even caught Floyed with a follow up right/left hook combination. I think it was telling to see Floyd Sr, Oscar, and Oscars brother conversing after the fight and Freddy Roach was no where to be seen.When it comes down to it there is a reason FIGHTERS like Holyfield, De La Hoya, Barrera, and others make the big paydays almost every fight; they fight. "Boxers" like Mayweather exist only to survive a fight and posses such overwhelming speed they win. He should RETIRE because, as a fight fan, I wouldn't pay to see him fight a guy like Coto. I already know he will grab and poke his way to a boring victory like he did last night.