If You Are Going To Talk To Fish

This is how you talk to them. K thanks. I had this guy down 200 bucks at a .10/.20 table and he was happy as a clam till some jackass came along and told him he sucked at poker they make and you know what he did. HE STOOD UP. %^@$%#*&%&*%$No_Neck: nhhick147: nhNo_Neck: tough breakNo_Neck: you have to call with two pairhick147: nhhad toNo_Neck: yeah that is a cold deck

You know there is a big progress about talking to fish among the players.Tonight a guy said "You suck" to the table and 3-4 people hushed him.After the fish left we all explained why he shouldn't berate the fish and he apologised from us lol

You know there is a big progress about talking to fish among the players.Tonight a guy said "You suck" to the table and 3-4 people hushed him.After the fish left we all explained why he shouldn't berate the fish and he apologised from us lol
See progress already.....

i disagree. it depends on the type of fish. some people are good to berate because it sets them off steaming. these are usually lags who think they're winners. use every trick in the book to upset these people and make them want to get even with you. they hate being made fun of for losing a hand, so thats what i usually go after. others are nice happy people who just want to play. you should treat these people with a smile no matter how bad they suckout. with these people im all like wow damn you got me good one and they seem to like that. the best is when a angry lag starts with a recreational player and you chime in and now its both of you against the lag.

i disagree. it depends on the type of fish. some people are good to berate because it sets them off steaming. these are usually lags who think they're winners. use every trick in the book to upset these people and make them want to get even with you. they hate being made fun of for losing a hand, so thats what i usually go after. others are nice happy people who just want to play. you should treat these people with a smile no matter how bad they suckout. with these people im all like wow damn you got me good one and they seem to like that. the best is when a angry lag starts with a recreational player and you chime in and now its both of you against the lag.
The bolded people are pretty rare at low limit, and they will self-identify for you. I find the empty barrel fish (those that rattle the loudest) will say something rude at the table first, opening the door for some needle steaming. I'd never needle a fish who doesn't use chat or who is even marginally polite. That's just like burning cash.

Johnny Chan 'wrote' an article about this some time ago (1645 days worth, in fact), and I agree with him completely. If fish are uncomfortable in a hostile game loaded with insulting players, why on earth would they want to stay?http://www.cardplayer.com/author/article/all/31/4753As a poker player you're a sort of salesman. You have to convince players who are a lot worse than you to play a game for actual money. Emphasizing the gambling aspect of poker and creating an overall friendly atmosphere does this best I've found.EDIT: I know how it feels to be the fish and be in a hostile environment. When I started playing poker in college, like most people, I was obviously terrible. Well, one day my friend invited me to a .25/.50 NL game, and I of course agreed to come because everyone played poker. I walked into the room and was practically floored by how intimidating the atmosphere was. Everyone looked miserable and angry. I kept trying to initiate smalltalk, what are you studying, where are you staying, etc, but all I got were curt replies. We played with two decks, too, to help speed up the game, so that didn't help. Even I quickly learned that I wasn't bankrolled for this game so I took to playing their $10/$20 SNGs instead, and they were similarly hostile. In fact they were filled with cryptic discussions of M theory and gap principles and expected values, so I felt even more alienated.Then there's this one pot that signalled the end. A LAG opened in EP and I obv called with the Q6 sooted. Flop came QT6 and he pushed with AQ, I called, and he went on for like a whole minute about how I misplayed the hand calling raises with trash, Gap Theory, all this sh!t I didn't understand...and his buddies all agreed that I didn't know what I was doing. Who can possibly have fun at this game, I thought. You shouldn't feel angry after winning a nice pot. So I never went back, which was too bad for them because I was the definition of a donator.This was last week, obv, as I still call raises with Q6sooted and still donate.

EDIT: I know how it feels to be the fish and be in a hostile environment. When I started playing poker in college, like most people, I was obviously terrible. Well, one day my friend invited me to a .25/.50 NL game, and I of course agreed to come because everyone played poker. I walked into the room and was practically floored by how intimidating the atmosphere was. Everyone looked miserable and angry. I kept trying to initiate smalltalk, what are you studying, where are you staying, etc, but all I got were curt replies. We played with two decks, too, to help speed up the game, so that didn't help. Even I quickly learned that I wasn't bankrolled for this game so I took to playing their $10/$20 SNGs instead, and they were similarly hostile. In fact they were filled with cryptic discussions of M theory and gap principles and expected values, so I felt even more alienated.Then there's this one pot that signalled the end. A LAG opened in EP and I obv called with the Q6 sooted. Flop came QT6 and he pushed, I called, and he went on for like a whole minute about how I misplayed the hand calling raises with trash, Gap Theory, all this sh!t I didn't understand...and his buddies all agreed that I didn't know what I was doing. Who can possibly have fun at this game, I thought. You shouldn't feel angry after winning a nice pot. So I never went back, which was too bad for them because I was the definition of a donator.This was last week, obv, as I still call raises with Q6sooted and still donate.
Haha, good post.

Anyone kinda reverse-berate? Meaning like, reverse-psychology?Sometimes when I get a bluff called or someone slow plays me and I pay them off, I "go steaming" at the whole table, calling them all donks and fish and stuff, even if it was a good call and I made a mistake, etc. Then I nut-peddle or push a few margins and get paid off quite more often =)

you pretty much summed up my whole personality right there haha.
The bolded people are pretty rare at low limit, and they will self-identify for you. I find the empty barrel fish (those that rattle the loudest) will say something rude at the table first, opening the door for some needle steaming. I'd never needle a fish who doesn't use chat or who is even marginally polite. That's just like burning cash.
the games i play (plo8 $50 and $100) are filled with these players. the make just a little by the occasinal really bad player who sits down, and they feel they would be huge winners if it wasnt for something stupid (luck, variance, tilt). they wont get up and leave because they feel they are playing to win and where they have an edge. they do not identify me beause i try to make myself look like the moron who got lucky against their expert play. in fact i often use the times when i suckout on someone to start with them. ide bet there are more than a few players on full tilt right now who see me sit down and instantly start to tilt a little just because of the way ive made them feel in the past. i learned all this from figuring out how badbeatphil used to beat me up so badly on party btw. or maybe im totaly overestimating myself.....

Don't scare the fish a way is a good rule of thumb. It think it's good for people in general just to be nicer to others, especially on the internet. But yeah.. don't **** with my dead money, you gotta just smile and say nh if they suck out an incredibly bad beat on you, because in the long run it'll come back.

That's me. I will often times nutbar a short handed $25 nl game after a long tournament just so I can play 80% of the hands I get dealt. I've rebought 3 times once, just laughing about the way I'm playing but having fun. As soon as someone starts bitching at me for sucking out, I tighten up and try to put a beat on him. It becomes my goal to beat him with garbage, call with garbage pre-flop just to get lucky and hit the flop big, then pound him. Then I leave right away after I win a big pot so they can whine about my hit and run.Then I smoke a good cigar.Maybe I have other issues :club:
That's me. I will often times nutbar a short handed $25 nl game after a long tournament just so I can play 80% of the hands I get dealt. I've rebought 3 times once, just laughing about the way I'm playing but having fun. As soon as someone starts bitching at me for sucking out, I tighten up and try to put a beat on him. It becomes my goal to beat him with garbage, call with garbage pre-flop just to get lucky and hit the flop big, then pound him. Then I leave right away after I win a big pot so they can whine about my hit and run.Then I smoke a good cigar.Maybe I have other issues :club:
I don't care how much money I've got, I'll never attempt anything so ridiculous/foolish.Well played, sir!
wtf?Nutbarring is the sex.
QFTAfter spending 3-4 hours playing good solid poker, just cutting loose and calling with 95off because they are connected is a great way to connect with your inner donkey
On the opposite side of the spectrum, I got the YSAP speech from a 60/25/10/250.
I got the same in a donkament from someone I started calling Professor Wisdom. I was semi-short and was pushing a lot on the bubble (with 10-15x BB, at blind levels from 100-200/a to 400-800/a). Got called once when I all-inned on the button against two shorty-tighties (3-4 BBs) in the blinds with Q8s. Ended up winning a flip against 77. Professor Wisdom started calling me a one-trick pony, as I continued to accumulate chips by pushing my stack against weak limpers and weak blinds. Professor Wisdom didn't call a single one of my pushes, and even complained once about folding an A (I had KQs). I was even goading him, begging him to call my pushes with his solid hands (because I did push KK, JJ, AA, and AK a few times during this run).In the end, nobody ever called my monster hand pushes (thus my continual low M condition). A pity, really. KQ < 66, then AK < 66, small cash, gg me. I did outlast Professor Wisdom, who blinded out at the 300-600/a level. :club: