My concern is that this pronunciation doesn't enable the speaker to flaunt his awareness of the subset of culture that spawned the phenomenon. If someone verbally pronounces that you were "owned," it's quite possible that he is simply parroting other people who have said it aloud, and he may be completely clueless as to the correct spelling and derivation of the word.It's kind of like in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, when he has to spell out the name of God by stepping on a giant Scrabble board of death, and he has a "doh" moment when he realizes "Jehovah" starts with an "I" in the Latin alphabet.The point is, any schmuck could spell Jehovah the American way, but only Indy and his dying father were privy to the cooler, more historically significant spelling.I see three alternatives:1) We pronounce it "Pyowned" or "Poo-Wind" to signify our understanding that the only thing that makes the phrase "Owned" trendy is it's counterintuitive spelling; or2) We pronounce it "Owned," but add, "with a P." This approach minimizes the awkwardness of pronouncing a phonetically unmanageable word, but acknowledges the distinction between "Owned" and "Pwned"; or3) We pronounce it "Owned," and anyone aware that it's spelled with a P can give the speaker a knowing nod to signal membership in the exclusive club.I vote for "Owned with a P."
I vote #3. It's more "secret society/ I'm cooler than you and you have no clue" -ish. Matter of fact, let's start spelling it"owned" on the net and laugh at the n00bs who tell us it supposed to be pwned.
My concern is that this pronunciation doesn't enable the speaker to flaunt his awareness of the subset of culture that spawned the phenomenon. If someone verbally pronounces that you were "owned," it's quite possible that he is simply parroting other people who have said it aloud, and he may be completely clueless as to the correct spelling and derivation of the word.It's kind of like in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, when he has to spell out the name of God by stepping on a giant Scrabble board of death, and he has a "doh" moment when he realizes "Jehovah" starts with an "I" in the Latin alphabet.The point is, any schmuck could spell Jehovah the American way, but only Indy and his dying father were privy to the cooler, more historically significant spelling.I see three alternatives:1) We pronounce it "Pyowned" or "Poo-Wind" to signify our understanding that the only thing that makes the phrase "Owned" trendy is it's counterintuitive spelling; or2) We pronounce it "Owned," but add, "with a P." This approach minimizes the awkwardness of pronouncing a phonetically unmanageable word, but acknowledges the distinction between "Owned" and "Pwned"; or3) We pronounce it "Owned," and anyone aware that it's spelled with a P can give the speaker a knowing nod to signal membership in the exclusive club.I vote for "Owned with a P."
would you elaborate, please.********************************8I was reading while watching the TOC and thought Daniel had said "You got poled", apparently not.
I thought I was the one who was ignorant for not understanding the meaning of "pyowmed"... I'm in the clear!
I disagree..I hear it in my head as like, 'Phoned', but with the 'p' sound instead of the 'f' sound.
What are you lot talking about it isn't even english and your arguing over how to pronounce it!I'm still shaking my head in disbelief
What are you lot talking about it isn't even english and your arguing over how to pronounce it!I'm still shaking my head in disbelief
It's not English? For real?Portuguese? What? Oh, and I'm not sure that, "What are you lot talking.." is English either, but, I leave you be just the same. Nice of me, eh?
Do you need a large "sw" to get the fact that we're joking around?
#2 reminds me of fat with ph (and I hate that saying)
Oh snap OP, you and I went heads up in the Neg-O last week. Great match by the way.
Yeah good match!! I was soooooooooo falling asleep by the time the final table came around I looked up once and it was 3 handed...I was like, wtf happened
Yeah good match!! I was soooooooooo falling asleep by the time the final table came around I looked up once and it was 3 handed...I was like, wtf happened
I came in 3rd and was exhausted, went right to bed, how much later did you guys go?
I would have pronounced it as 'pawned'.
Why would ya pronounce it pawned though? The original word is owned, it's just a typo, so shouldn't it be pronounced as closely to the original word as possible? Hmmm, how about mobney? Should it be pronounced mob-knee or muhb-knee?