It I enjoyed Deb's confusion about Dexter's lack of emotion over the whole thing.
I actually thought the actress who plays Deb was better in that episode than I remembered. Her acting in the past has been pretty weak.
  • Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The fade to black after Hannah starts to take Harrison for ice cream before we find out what happened to Dexter — I’m sure that had some fans starting to howl at their screens. Was that a deliberate f

So I was watching the latest Dexter, stewing about what an awful actress his sister is, and I decided to look up her Wiki, to see what producer her father was, to enable her to get that job, because I

Posted Images

I actually thought the actress who plays Deb was better in that episode than I remembered. Her acting in the past has been pretty weak.
She did her signature breakdown in this episode that she practiced when Lundy died. But I have a question: why is anyone on the show surprised that Dexter is not showing emotion at his wife's death? Have they not been living/working with him for years? Obviously the guy is odd and doesn't show emotion, right?
But I have a question: why is anyone on the show surprised that Dexter is not showing emotion at his wife's death? Have they not been living/working with him for years? Obviously the guy is odd and doesn't show emotion, right?
Meh...how often do you really see your coworkers display intense emotion? To most of them he would just seem like a bland, easy going guy.His sister is a different story. Realistically, she'd have known something was wrong with him since they were kids.It's weird that she let the whole, "Why did you say, 'It was me.'?"* thing go.*that was some horrific grammar right there
Meh...how often do you really see your coworkers display intense emotion? To most of them he would just seem like a bland, easy going guy.His sister is a different story. Realistically, she'd have known something was wrong with him since they were kids.It's weird that she let the whole, "Why did you say, 'It was me.'?"* thing go.*that was some horrific grammar right there
I think it's pretty stupid that they had him say that. But his sisterwife seems to know that he felt responsible.

I felt like they totally didn't give enough weight to the whole 'your mom's dead' thing. 'Hey kids how was Disneyworld? Yeah your mom was killed by an extremely prolific serial killer while you were away. It was a whole big thing, ya know?' Deb literally said to him later, "How did it go telling the kids?....Oh they'll be alright." Yeah, they'll get over it, no biggie! Just give them about 25 years and 3 or 4 drug addictions and 10 or 12 therapists and they'll be right as rain!

I think it's pretty stupid that they had him say that. But his sisterwife seems to know that he felt responsible.
Yeah, it didn't really even make much sense. I'm sure they could have found a way to have him say something that the audience would completely understand but the cops would find suspicious.
I felt like they totally didn't give enough weight to the whole 'your mom's dead' thing. 'Hey kids how was Disneyworld? Yeah your mom was killed by an extremely prolific serial killer while you were away. It was a whole big thing, ya know?' Deb literally said to him later, "How did it go telling the kids?....Oh they'll be alright." Yeah, they'll get over it, no biggie! Just give them about 25 years and 3 or 4 drug addictions and 10 or 12 therapists and they'll be right as rain!
Yeah...but again, we can only expect so much out of a show like this. On one hand, Dexter really would have no idea how to deal with something like that (but who would), while on the other hand, you know, it would typically be done differently. But really though...what do you do in that situation? Maybe tell the grandparents first? Maybe have a grief counselor there. But yeah, you have them walk through the door, say hello, and then tell everyone that you need to talk to them. Then you tell them what happened. Yeah, it seems crazy that they didn't put more weight to the whole scene, but that's sort of how it goes. And they weren't about to spend a few episodes showing everyone's respective stages of grief in the initial hours after they found out what happened. Also, if they really went into the legit psychology behind the kids' reactions, it'd bog everything down way too much. That's not what the show is about.I'm not saying it was exceptionally done, just that it's a difficult subject and it's hard for me to criticize them too much.

It really didn't feel like a season premier at all, it just felt like another episode. At the end of last season I thought the show needed to totally revamp itself in some way, and finally when Dexter was running away I was like 'Here it is, he's really gonna go start over and we'll have a new show.' Except, of course, he didn't. In other words, I agree that it sucked. I'll probably give it one more episode but really it's pretty bad.

Damn. They just had to humanize Dexter in the last few minutes just when the show was actually getting into how a psychopath has an emotional disconnect from normal human reactions. They even had Dexter take a phrase from someone and use it in a situation he thought would be appropriate. So close.

Damn. They just had to humanize Dexter in the last few minutes just when the show was actually getting into how a psychopath has an emotional disconnect from normal human reactions. They even had Dexter take a phrase from someone and use it in a situation he thought would be appropriate. So close.
But they always walk that line, it's the whole center of the show. He's a psychopath... but there's something good about him. Also, the stuff Dexter said was all true, as in he honestly does seem to see things that way.
How about the way they humanized him when they showed him and Rita's first date (by showing how much less human he used to be)? A whole 'theme' of the show is him learning to be more human.
It really didn't feel like a season premier at all, it just felt like another episode. At the end of last season I thought the show needed to totally revamp itself in some way, and finally when Dexter was running away I was like 'Here it is, he's really gonna go start over and we'll have a new show.' Except, of course, he didn't. In other words, I agree that it sucked. I'll probably give it one more episode but really it's pretty bad.
I don't believe for one second that you'll stop watching after next week.

I thought the episode was good. Dexter is socially retarded so his lack of emotion is expected. The scene where he breaks the news to the family while wearing Mickey Mouse ears was awesome. I love the dark humour in this show and I don't agree with those who say it's poorly written. Obviously it has it's questionable moments, but for the most part, it's a well-written show.I'm amused by the complaints of Deb's crying. Her fiance turns out to be the ice truck killer and tried to kill her...she later finds out that he was Dexter's brother...her boyfriend/Daddy figure gets killed and she gets shot...and her brother's wife is brutally murdered...I'd be more than a little weirded out if she didn't shed a few tears. I think she's a little socially retarded too...not as bad as Dexter, but still...They have to keep story lines like the Angel (On-hell...lol) and (hyper-thyroid) Laguerta (sp?) storyline going so they have options later on. That story is sort of important already considering Dexter attended their wedding.And Doakes was ok, but I didn't have the love for him that many seem to have. He was a little too Mr. T- like at times.And yes, Quinn has lot a shit-load of weight.I'll miss John Lithgow!!!!!!!!

Not a ton happened but how could anything compete with the last few episodes of last season. I still got chills when during the previously on part I heard Lithgow say "Hello...Dexter Morgan."I'm hooked and a few more so called "bad" episodes isn't going to change my mind.

as LG and I said last season, there is NOTHING interesting about the mexican love story.I do not care that they are actually cuban, as it's more demeaning when you phrase it this way.

Not a ton happened but how could anything compete with the last few episodes of last season. I still got chills when during the previously on part I heard Lithgow say "Hello...Dexter Morgan."I'm hooked and a few more so called "bad" episodes isn't going to change my mind.
One of the best moments of last season...right up there with "Shut up, c***"
as LG and I said last season, there is NOTHING interesting about the mexican love story.I do not care that they are actually cuban, as it's more demeaning when you phrase it this way.
Other than it may provide Dexter with an alibi...depending on the timeline...of course.
And that is why you should still use spoilers.
I am just watching Dexter again on netflix. I don't remember coming to this thread before. This was a stupid post and I apologize to the Dexter community.
Speculation Warning:

I don't think Trinity killed Rita. I don't know who did, but I'm pretty sure it was a copycat crime.

I wondered the same thing because I don't recall Dexter ever telling Arthur about the details of how he was sitting in the blood when he was a kid. It definitely gives the writers options.