Explain This For Me

I have been playing hold'em for about a year. Mostly online. I suspect I am a decent low stakes player. Recently I played two 5 table $11 tourneys and won them both. Yet when I play in home games with my friends who know little about hold'em my record is only so-so. I have never had a losing night, but I don't feel like I am clearly dominating.Tonite we played 3 $50 tourneys and I placed 9th, 1st and 5th - which meant I won $75 on the night. But I figure I should be crushing these guys. Why I am not consistently winning top prize?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A while back I had a few friends at my house who knew very little about poker, but we played a few small buy in SNGs for fun. I had no chance in any of them. They were just playing every hand and and being super agressive...I tried to play my best but I could never catch a hand against them.I'm sure if we played a lot the luck would even out and I would beat them more often than not.The advantages in poker are small, and are exploited over time. Anybody that knows the basic rules of poker can beat Phil Ivey heads up one time.

Calling stations won't fold to a bluff if they have any piece of the flop, and if you fire on the turn and the river, they'll say, "well, I already had a lot invested. I had to call the rest of my chips."I've had a few times lately when I knew I had the best hand, and the other player was on a flush draw, and I bet all in for 1 1/2 times the pot after the turn, giving awful pot odds, and, of course, they called with one card to go and made their flushes.I'd rather play better players. They usually know that I have the hand that I represent and that they have bad pot odds to call.

I'm fairly certain Dane is a joke account.
Dane is certainly a joke.

In No Limit Holdem, moreso tournaments, the edge that even top professionals have is less than you may think.They definately do have that slight edge, but imo, all it takes is losing one big pot where you are a 70/30 favorite, and you can find yourself crushed.But so long as you continue to keep giving yourself that edge and feel that you consistently get your money in with the best of it, then there's nothing else you can do.

Of all the stupid things you have said, this is by far the best.
Yeah. We don't want them to make mistakes now do we? :club:
he uses sarcastic humor sans humor and sarcasm
Are you for real?
I'm fairly certain Dane is a joke account.
again, sans jokes
We make a good team.
Dane is certainly a joke.
Awestruck.
Bwahahahahaha! This thread is priceless.
JAMES D; YOU'RE AVATAR IS FANSTASTIC, THANK YOU SIR!
You're saying that you would be happy to show her your 'big slick'?(Apologies for my lame jokes and my crudity... but hey, it's the weekend :club: )

I actually agree with DaneI'd rather play good players, because I play more for fun and challenge.Whenever I play with people that have no clue, I get frustrated. I'm talking really bad players, people that say things like, "How can you fold before you at least see the first three cards?"On the other hand good players challenge me, make me play my best, and winning against them is ten times more satisfying than getting good cards and maxing the bet knowing I'll get called, while folding 40 hands in a row waiting for premium hands.If you grind for a living I can see why you want the biggest donks in the world at your table, me I play 10 hours a week max and want to enjoy those few hours the most.Played a $20 short handed SnG last night that lasted 51 minutes, 3 really good players, one donk and me. Okay 2 donks. But I had a much better time really playing my best and winning was so much sweeter.So I guess it's me and Dane against the rest of you, bring it.

Balloonguy, well it depends if you are playing for fun or for profit. If it's just for fun then it's generally more fun to play against players who know what they're doing, keep the game moving, give you interesting strategical choices. If it's for profit, it's not close, obviously you want to play against the guys asking Does a straight beat a flush?

Balloonguy, well it depends if you are playing for fun or for profit. If it's just for fun then it's generally more fun to play against players who know what they're doing, keep the game moving, give you interesting strategical choices. If it's for profit, it's not close, obviously you want to play against the guys asking Does a straight beat a flush?
For me, fun and challenge outway monetary gains.kidding, it's outweigh, I loved how you got steamed over absorbent :club:
In No Limit Holdem, moreso tournaments, the edge that even top professionals have is less than you may think.
no limit holdem is a game where good players have a far larger edge over bad players than most other games, imo.