I would like to everyone's opinion on what constitutes a "good" NL player. I have read that in a limit game, 1 BB per hour is a solid player.How do you judge your results. Also, how large of a sample size do I need to get a good feel for where my game is?Thanks.J.

I think anything north of like 10 bb's/100 is solid, although i'm not totally sure on that. At low limits (anything 100nl or smaller) I think you can do like 25 bb/100. A good sample is generally like 20k hands.

I think anything north of like 10 bb's/100 is solid, although i'm not totally sure on that. At low limits (anything 100nl or smaller) I think you can do like 25 bb/100. A good sample is generally like 20k hands.
I'm sorry, but you're crazy! 25bb/100 sustainable? LOLANY positive winrate is good. Don't listen to these people throwing out crazy numbers. It doesn't really matter what your winrate is. As long as you make money instead of lose money. Go to twoplustwo.com, they have some good discussion threads about winrate. You will probably NEVER be able to determine your true win rate, but i think that a sample of 100k hands is neccesary to even get anywhere near a reliable winrate.

In limit, I know people measure things like BB/hour or BB/100.In No limit, is it not more logical to just measure hourly rate, as in $/hr? Obviously, if you are moving up and down limits all the time, this number would get screwed, but if you are almost 100% of the time a 1-2NL player, what is wrong with measuring winrate as $/hr?Is my thinking way off here?

I'm sorry, but you're crazy! 25bb/100 sustainable? LOLANY positive winrate is good. Don't listen to these people throwing out crazy numbers. It doesn't really matter what your winrate is. As long as you make money instead of lose money. Go to twoplustwo.com, they have some good discussion threads about winrate. You will probably NEVER be able to determine your true win rate, but i think that a sample of 100k hands is neccesary to even get anywhere near a reliable winrate.
I was beating 25 plhe on ongame network for like 30 bb/100 over about 10k hands. It's definately sustainable at low limits. You have to take into account just how stupid your opponents are.
In limit, I know people measure things like BB/hour or BB/100.In No limit, is it not more logical to just measure hourly rate, as in $/hr? Obviously, if you are moving up and down limits all the time, this number would get screwed, but if you are almost 100% of the time a 1-2NL player, what is wrong with measuring winrate as $/hr?Is my thinking way off here?
There is nothing wrong with your thinking if you always stay in the same limit. The problem is if you want to start comparing your rate from one limit to the next. (Because you're moving up or down)By using the bb/100 rate you will easily be able to tell how your stats are comparing, and you'll be able to see whether moving limits has affected your win rate. EX. you beat .25/.50 at 5bb/100 you beat .5/1 at 3bb/100In no-limit 1 bb is double the big blind.
I was beating 25 plhe on ongame network for like 30 bb/100 over about 10k hands. It's definately sustainable at low limits. You have to take into account just how stupid your opponents are.
I understand. 10k is a very small sample size. Talk to me when you have 100k hands and then you might have a point. I've beaten games for 20+ bb over 20k hands just to beat the same game for 2bb/100 over the next 20k hands. In order to determine your rate with any certainty you need a huge sample size 100k+ hands
In no-limit 1 bb is double the big blind.
This is commonly referred to as a ptbb - poker tracker big bet. It's meant to be comparable to limit winrates which are based on big bets which are of course double the big blind. You can track you winrate in big blinds/100 or big bets/100 just make sure you're using the same units when you talk to someone else. Tracking big bets/hr is interesting but slightly less useful because your hands per hour at 6-max online is going to be drastically different from your hands per hour at full-ring live. It's mostly useful in terms of "how many hours do i need to play to make $x".For low limits 2.5 or 3BB/100 is probably sustainable. For higher limits say 5/10 online 1BB/100 is considered pretty good.For NL the number I've seen tossed about is 6ptbb/100. That's generally considered about the max sustainable even at small stakes.
plhe is the juciest holdem variation on the net, period. the players are astoundingly worse than nlhe and lhe players. when i played on the pokerroom network i wouldn't join a table unless the preflop % was >= 50%