The Most Friendly Pro That You've Ever Met Besides Negreanu?

Over the past year, I've had the fortune of meeting and seeing several pros. DN is by far the most friendly of all of them. The next one that I've met would be Mike Caro. Mike's a super nice guy too.Matusow would be next. Ferguson and Doyle were okay but not real friendly. Maybe they had a bad day or what not but no smiles at all. They would take a picture with you and that's it. Daniel seems geniunely happy to do it for you. Dan Harrington just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe he was pissed at being short stacked or what not but was very sarcastic when discussing hands in the tournament with me. Joe Tehan (Won june WPT tourney-I didn't know he was a pro until after) is a real prick.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lindgren is a good guy much like DN, Scotty (cant spell his last name but it sounds like wynn) is a freakin riot especially when he has chips and a few beers in them. I think they are all pretty nice its like anyone else it all depends on wich day u catch them. If u catch someone after they just took a tough beat or are busted out they are going to be in a bad mood. Marcel Luske was the biggest jerk i met but i dont blame him, also phil gordon thinks he is gods gift to poker and that you should be honoured to be in the same room as him. Like i said i have had a chance to hang out with a few of them at the bellagio and at the fulltilt poker school and they all seem pretty nice.

Gavin Griffin was really cool when I sat next to him for a while. And no, he didn't try to show me his ****. Arnold Spee was very friendly and actually even flashed me his hand a couple of times in non-showdown pots when he was on my right in what could have been steal situations, as if he wanted me to know that he was just playing his cards. And although he gets trash talked a lot, Chris Moneymaker was a really nice guy too.And when I won a main event seat through Full Tilt in 2005 they had a luncheon-seminar kind of deal and everyone there, across the board, was very friendly and accomodating: Lederer, Ferguson, Gowen, and Bloch especially. Obviously this is just good work on their part, but they really did make an effort to take questions, chat with people, etc.

Doyle seemed alright, my photo on here is with him at the WSOP and in the pic he looks like he'd rather kill himself then be there. Phil Gordon seems like a nice guy, but you can tell he just has a front about him. My brother beat him heads up in a charity tournament and he was actually salty about that...YOU'RE PHIL GORDON, NOT PHIL IVEY.

Doyle seemed alright, my photo on here is with him at the WSOP and in the pic he looks like he'd rather kill himself then be there. Phil Gordon seems like a nice guy, but you can tell he just has a front about him. My brother beat him heads up in a charity tournament and he was actually salty about that...YOU'RE PHIL GORDON, NOT PHIL IVEY.
OH..I can kinda vouch for this. A certain poker pro I talked too told me that Gordon actually talks in public (in front of cameras) in a humble matter...but he really thinks that he is god's gift to Holdem.
OH..I can kinda vouch for this. A certain poker pro I talked too told me that Gordon actually talks in public (in front of cameras) in a humble matter...but he really thinks that he is god's gift to Holdem.
Thats exactly how he came across to me, like i was privalidged to be in his company, he didnt snub me off but you could tell he was thinking he was better then this. I felt like asking him if he ever plays anymore or is just concintrating on his great commentary on Celeb poker. The joke is on him though aparently his new book is a flop and not selling at all, heard him say on tilt "I cant figure out why its not selling". Scotty is honestly such a cool guy he was ahead in the chip count so he pretty much took a break and started drinking, he was talking to me like we where old buddies from way back, and all of my questions where answered with details not just brush off.Vahedi was the same way, i have pictures of me with all of them i will post them up for u all sometime.

I have never met any, but, I'd bet they are different in the bar than they are at "work". Some, like Daniel, apparently, can deal with the interuptions for pics and autographs, but, I can readily understand why others wouldn't be as gracious at all times.I would like to toss a couple down with Scotty, I bet he is a gas in the lounge. Plus, Sexton said he buys, that's always a plus.

Hachem and Clonie were cool when I played with them. Andy Black was a prick. Men was pretty cool. Liebert hit on my wife. Phil Gordon was alright, but you could tell he had his attitude side, along with Antonio.
Men .... i saw him get kicked out of foxwoods for yelling at the dealer and floor person, he was bombed so im sure they just told him to take the night off. Aparently he is really hard to deal for and is very critical of everything, unless of course he is winning and then the world is great.

I had a chance to meet J.Chan seems nice took a pic. but he was in a hurry.Also met Doyel at the WSOP he was alone in his "Doyle's ROOM" room eating lunch, a buddy and me walked said hi and shook his hand then an assistant of his showed up and gave us each a shirt and hat saying there was no more left after these..and Doyle signed the hat for us. Very nice gentleman.This guy named Daniel negreanu came up to me demanding to stake me for the BIG GAME. He was dressed kinda strange and had a wierd looking dog inside his coat! :club:

I was in Vegas a few weeks ago during the Festa Lago (the Bellagio WPT tourney) and I met Gus Hansen (very nice - gotta picture taken with him). I also got to meet Sexton and he's just the nicest guy! I told him how much I appreciate him taking on the online gambling bill. I saw Jamie Gold at the tourney and he had a bodyguard with him the entire time :club: Scotty Nguyen was really nice as was Doyle. I saw Barry Greenstein too but he walked by too quickly - couldn't stop him for an autograph.The only one that day that I wanted to meet but didn't was Daniel!!!! Apparently he snuck into the Fontana Lounge early that day and everyone that was outside waiting for autographs were disappointed.Oh and I met Phil Ivey and got his autograph. When he walked towards the Fontana Lounge, I swear it was like a rock star walking in. He's humble and sweet but he has that aura about him. Everyone wanted his autograph!!

For me I would have to say Scotty Nyguen. But then again Ive only met one poker pro.

The thing is when most of us run into them it's usually during a tournament, and they are either having a great day or a real shittty day. I met many of them during the WSOP at one point or another.Daniel is amazingly cordial and engaging every time I've ever met him. And the total class he exhibited during the half hour immediately after his WSOP bust out was a lesson for all. Just incredibly gracious at the lowest moment.Freddy Deeb is an F-bombing riot.Men was very nice.Jesus was very nice.Raymer was cool.Annie Duke was nice. (no kidding)Gavin was a hilarious drunken Bluto.Clonie was very nice.Harmon is sweet as pie.Fidler is awesome.Shamat is very cool.Josh Arieh was a bit aloof.Tilly was surprisingly sweet.Shannon was very nice...in a fakey kinda way.Jauanda was a ghost...Hey John!...*looks right thru you*Helmuth was...ummm...just like you would think he would be.Doyle was great.Phil Gordon was arrogantly nice.Blah blah blah....i'm leaving a bunch out, but most of these players are just like us. Treat them with respect and they will respond in kind. I can't say that any of them were total A-holes. :club:

heh, maybe...just make sure you have 5$ on you if you youre gonna ask him for an autograph. :club:
Stood in hall at WSOP and talked with Raymer for near 20 minutes. Very nice guy. Signed a card, took a pic, and all that hype. Doyle was very nice, as well was Caro, bought the leather bound set of books from Doyle and got invited into the back where he signed them. Talked with Hoyt Corkins back there for quite a while. The Doyle's Room crowd were really nice folks. The Pokerstars bunch were not that great to be around (other than Raymer). McEvoy was a total @$$. Was really ashamed I got there through Pokerstars. But I got over it. LOLAll the Full Tilt crew was very nice. Even Helmuth at UB was a nice guy, even though my ol lady referred to him as "The Whiner" while we were bout 3 foot away from him. He just grinned. Maybe he thought she said winner. She's never been too subtle. This woman I have lived with for 22 years once told James Drury who played "The Virginian" on TV, that she never watched his show because Bonanza was better as far as old time westerns went. I just cringedAnd yeah, Daniel was nice too. The whole thing was a blast. Poker players are a good bunch of people.
I would like to toss a couple down with Scotty, I bet he is a gas in the lounge.
I'll tell you in a week..I'm leaving for Tulsa on sunday to play the okrahoma fall classic and he's hosting the event...I plan on drinking heavily when I'm not playing...

Saw a tourney on TV several months ago where Scotty and Daniel were on a final table. Scotty was a bit on the drunk side and Daniel was messin' with the dude's head really bad. Anybody remember which tourney that was? It was hilarious, I was a bit embarrassed for Scotty though. He needs to lay off the beer when he hits a final table. His level of understanding and awareness goes wayyyy down.