PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)MP2 ($30.85)Hero ($19)Button ($24.80)SB ($21.75)BB ($31.60)UTG ($9)MP1 ($7.60)Preflop: Hero is CO with 9diamond.gif, Tdiamond.gif. 3 folds, Hero calls $0.25, 2 folds, BB checks.Flop: ($0.60) 8spade.gif, 2club.gif, Jspade.gif(2 players)BB bets $0.5, Hero raises to $1.5, BB calls $1.Turn: ($3.60) 5heart.gif(2 players)BB checks, Hero bets $3, BB calls $3.River: ($9.60) Qdiamond.gif(2 players)BB checks, Hero bets $5.5, BB calls $5.50.Final Pot: $20.60Results in white below: BB has Tc Jc (one pair, jacks). Hero has 9d Td (straight, queen high). Outcome: Hero wins $20.60. It is very rare that I am limping in preflop, but I will once in a while to change things up with strong or drawing hands.Please feel free to pick apart all streets of the hand. I think my re-raise on the flop was a little weak, but I feel good about my bet on the turn and river.I took a little grief about my play in the chat after the hand, but over all I liked how I played it. What do you guys think? was it donkish?

i love the flop. but check the turn.when a player gives you grief about doing something like raising on a draw you really should lash back at him in whatever way makes you look as stupid as possible. and by stupid i dont mean like stupid but i mean like poker stupid. say i had to raise i was pot commited or something like that and when they go what say shutup you dont know what youre talking about i won didnt i?

3 on the turn is fine if you are putting him on a flush draw. If he is a calling station, checking the turn would be a good idea.
Well, not really because it's most definitely not a value bet. If you really think he's on a flush draw, then you'd have to bluff the river too, if it misses, since we have no showdown value, UI.
Well, not really because it's most definitely not a value bet. If you really think he's on a flush draw, then you'd have to bluff the river too, if it misses, since we have no showdown value, UI.
Good point, I was just thinking a draw might fold to a pot sized bet on the turn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the primary reason to raise this flop is so that you can take a free turn card.So take it ;)If you do not intend on checking down the turn, then I don't see much value in raising the flop with your draw.--CM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the primary reason to raise this flop is so that you can take a free turn card.So take it ;)If you do not intend on checking down the turn, then I don't see much value in raising the flop with your draw.--CM
I disagree. His opponent showed weakness at the turn. I like the turn bet, it gives our hero another chance to win the pot right there. If it doesn't work, he still has another card to come with the chance to make his straight, or pick up a scare card that he could use against his opponent as well. What I like most about the turn bet is that THAT is playing poker. Too many players take 'the book' too seriously and don't know how to play 'poker'. Real poker players make plays like that and keep their opponents off-balance. I love playing low-limits because there are so many players who've developed a nice, solid, PREDICTABLE game. A good player will take their money over and over again. BTW, there's a few really good micro-limit strategy articles at everybonuscode.com that I've read more than once. I recommend anyone who plays low limits to read them.

I like to bet draws. It's called semi-bluffing. In a heads-up pot betting this turn takes it down quite often. If not, a third bullet on the river will sometimes work. But, take my advice with a grain of salt, I only win small pots in NL cash, and I lose huge pots.

lol Cincy, we need to get you some NL confidence....
Heh, I doubt confidence has much to do with it. I play fairly solid smallballish poker, then I flop something like 2 pair and get all in against a straight or a set or something. In other words, I suck at NL cash. It's pretty simple.
I disagree. His opponent showed weakness at the turn
Not really.BB showed strength on the flop by leading out despite being out of position.He then showed that he wasn't completely bluffing by calling the raise.His turn check is obvious- and it's not necessarily weak.He may check-fold.He will often check-call.But he may also check-raise.But rarely will he ever lead out on the turn here with a stop-n-go.So the turn check itself does not really mean anything.
In a heads-up pot betting this turn takes it down quite often. If not, a third bullet on the river will sometimes work
This is turning into an expensive semi-bluff when we have to fire three bullets into this pot.And I think this is the problem with the raise.If our hand had some sort of showdown value (like if he we hit middle pair on the turn), I would bet again with the intention of taking a free showdown.This would give us a chance to win the hand immediately, and also to win at showdown if BB was drawing.But with only a draw, if we bluff a second time on the turn and miss, we enter a lose-lose situaion on the river.We can either give up, in which case we will be regretting our turn bet.Or we can spew one more time even though Villain will very likely call again.Just my thoughts...--cm