Playin For A Living

what's important is that you not overestimate your ability to beat a game, be honest with yourself about those days where you just can't overcome the rake because the game is too rocky, etc. those are the things that make you lose $.
I got in here to post this, but checky already beat me to it. You can play for a living at number of limits/levels/places. But that is all dependant on your skill level. If you can be a slightly winning player at 2/4NL, this isn't going to pay the bills. Same goes with 5/10, or 10/20NL. It doesn't matter what level you are at if you can't beat it for enough a month to pay the bills.And I would disagree with Hoosier slightly in his assesment that online is better to make the most money overall. If you can crush the same limits online as you can live, then sure. But this just isn't the case for all but the top half a percent of poker players. Online players are SOOO much better than live players. The level of play at the 2/4NL game online is MUCH better than the live 3/5 game I play in regularly, or the 10/20NL game at Commerce, or any 5/10NL game I've played at in Vegas. I mean, its not even close.I think of it this way: Anyone that gets online to play poker, is there to play poker. There are no rich guys who had a bad day at work, or just got their bonus, or just want to go drink and socialize with their buddies. These are all the people that play live, at all levels. Last Friday I had THREE guys at my table that were all out on a bachelor party. Tell me the last time you got that lucky online :)Mark
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I been playing for a living for about 2 years, never a losing month biggest downswing before this one was 8 buy ins, 8 buy in swings has happened to me quite often i would say at least 10 times in a span of 2 years. I only play online where the max buy in was 1000$ with abit of 10 20 not much. I really don't suggest playing for a living with a short role, makes it way to stressfull. By the way why would i lie about losing 30k, losing is not something i like to brag aboutHere were my numbers, I started playing for a living at 1 2, was making around 5-6k a month played 1-2nl, for about 4-5 months, then moved up to 2-4nl where my worst month at 2-4nl was 9 and my best was 21. I was putting in i would say around 40 hours a week.I play for a living and i have a great social life and i am very happy with my decision to play poker for a living, wanna make sure you do other things then play poker, I coach tennis for a college team just so i can keep my self grounded. It takes a special kind of person to be able to lose 10k in a day and still go out with you're friends have fun, i would say it took me about a 1 year before the money doesn't affect me anymore
i never said you lied, I just look at your stats and think you're a very LAG player who is either winning big or losing Big.so some of your advice is skewed.I dont know any 1-2 players who are up 15k in a month then lose 6k in a couple days.
I dont know any 1-2 players who are up 15k in a month then lose 6k in a couple days.
Ditto. 1/2 is $200 buyin right? I can't imagine losing $6K in two days. If you're single tabling, thats just a ton of buyins going down in a row. If you're 4 tabling, then you have more options but the variance is so much less. And even if you're somehow running poorly at all 4 tables, thats still hard to see.Not saying its not possible, but NL is so great because you control the variance to some extent. If a friend of mine told me he lost $6K in two days at $200NL, I'd tell him that he's getting involved in way too many big pots.Mark
i never said you lied, I just look at your stats and think you're a very LAG player who is either winning big or losing Big.so some of your advice is skewed.I dont know any 1-2 players who are up 15k in a month then lose 6k in a couple days.[/quoagreed, the swings are bigger at 5 10,i can't see losing more then 8 buy ins at 1-2nl. I 6-8 table by the way. the 30k downswing was just not normal, just tryng to say big downswings do happen to winning players.
I got in here to post this, but checky already beat me to it. You can play for a living at number of limits/levels/places. But that is all dependant on your skill level. If you can be a slightly winning player at 2/4NL, this isn't going to pay the bills. Same goes with 5/10, or 10/20NL. It doesn't matter what level you are at if you can't beat it for enough a month to pay the bills.And I would disagree with Hoosier slightly in his assesment that online is better to make the most money overall. If you can crush the same limits online as you can live, then sure. But this just isn't the case for all but the top half a percent of poker players. Online players are SOOO much better than live players. The level of play at the 2/4NL game online is MUCH better than the live 3/5 game I play in regularly, or the 10/20NL game at Commerce, or any 5/10NL game I've played at in Vegas. I mean, its not even close.I think of it this way: Anyone that gets online to play poker, is there to play poker. There are no rich guys who had a bad day at work, or just got their bonus, or just want to go drink and socialize with their buddies. These are all the people that play live, at all levels. Last Friday I had THREE guys at my table that were all out on a bachelor party. Tell me the last time you got that lucky online :)Mark
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :club:
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :club:
hehe, that was a fun table huh? :)Nutz and I are both going to go buy new plasma TVs thanks to that night.Mark
Anyone that gets online to play poker, is there to play poker. There are no rich guys who had a bad day at work, or just got their bonus, or just want to go drink and socialize with their buddies.
This statement is definitely not true. There are plenty of drunks, rich guys, recreational, and straight up bad players online. Sure there are more live, but playing 1 table live with 4-5 bad players does not compensate for the fact that you can 4-8 table online. Sure, if you are only playing 1 or 2 tables online, an argument could be made that playing live is more profitable. However, there are just too many factors (game selection, multitabling, convenience, less rake, etc.) that make online more profitable.
i never said you lied, I just look at your stats and think you're a very LAG player who is either winning big or losing Big.so some of your advice is skewed.I dont know any 1-2 players who are up 15k in a month then lose 6k in a couple days.
he's a very good player.def. one of the best cash game players on this site that you don't know about.- Jordan
he's a very good player.def. one of the best cash game players on this site that you don't know about.- Jordan
No, i know about BMW, we used ot have 3 ways with mexico.I know he's a good player, his statements just dont fit well with the OP
This statement is definitely not true. There are plenty of drunks, rich guys, recreational, and straight up bad players online. Sure there are more live, but playing 1 table live with 4-5 bad players does not compensate for the fact that you can 4-8 table online. Sure, if you are only playing 1 or 2 tables online, an argument could be made that playing live is more profitable. However, there are just too many factors (game selection, multitabling, convenience, less rake, etc.) that make online more profitable.
I sort of agree and disagree, I find a lot of the dead money online to be found at stakes like 1-2NL are usually highschool - college kids who dont understand what a Bankroll is, and transfer in 100 dollars into an account which they use to sit at a table with.similar to live, many of them just want to "try" maybe they won their homegame the night before and they think they can give pro's a run. They never plan to do much except play 1 night, if they win, they keep coming back until they lose it all anyways.
I understand what you're saying I guess. I'm not saying playing online isn't better for a number of reasons. And maybe I'm just biased I guess because my live game is so significantly better than online. But lets take a 10/20NL game for example. Online, I just can't see a random rich dude who barely ever plays poker sitting down to play that often. But you see this live ALL the time.Mark
And I would disagree with Hoosier slightly in his assesment that online is better to make the most money overall. If you can crush the same limits online as you can live, then sure. But this just isn't the case for all but the top half a percent of poker players. Online players are SOOO much better than live players.
This isnt a comparison between playing a 10/20 live and 10/20 online though.I think the level of play between stakes is probably comparable at 10x the stakes. 1/2 is probably close to 10/20 and 2/4 to 20/40.If you can beat 10/20 live, you can win more playing 1/2 online an hour. If you can beat a 20/40 live, you can win more playing 2/4 online an hour. The difference comes up when you're dealing with high stakes. Im not entirely sure that a 10/20 player online can do better than a 100/200 player live. Mostly because online 10/20's start getting pretty rough, whereas live 100/200's can still be pretty good. And if the 50/100's are as good as checky is saying, you might be able to best your online earning ability at that too... but it's close.It really depends on where you live. Most cities dont have a place that spreads games as high as 100/200.I can understand playing a bit of both. But i think that unless you play high stakes, playing live for a living is a very bad decision.

Hey folks. I didn't read most of this thread. Just wanted to mention I'll be finishing the college degree in December and will probably spend a few months playing pro until I go out and get a real job.Thanks FCP for teaching me how to win at this game, especially Actuary and the strat posters.