Playin For A Living

Hypothetically, if one were to be playing NL cash for a living, and wanted to earn $1000 a week, playing 40 hours a week online, what limit would they have to be playing?thanks for input

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetically, if one were to be playing NL cash for a living, and wanted to earn $1000 a week, playing 40 hours a week online, what limit would they have to be playing?thanks for input
.5/.10 nl....good luck

at a very sustainable 3 bb/hr, 40 hrs a week, with two tables open youd want to be playing 2/4$NL$12/hr x 40 x 2 tables = 960$plus if you played on FTP or something and had rakeback, that would boost you over the 1k mark.Someone needs to post serious answers sometimes occasionally no?Patrick

hello fellow Ontarioianto be honest, if this is something you are considering, you should stop now.you shouldnt be thinking of playing for a living without knowing what you need to know on your own.Just because you can beat a low limit 1-2 NL game and have a few good running sessions, doesnt reflect your future.Get a good sample size of 100k hands, and avg out your profits.
A good player could do this at 1/2NL online if you multitable well. I think 3 tabling 2/4NL would be the best way.Mark
Forget the NL game find a good 20-40 to 40-80 limit game and with solid aggressive play $1,000 a week is not so difficult. Shocking how weak the limit play is these days. Also, the swings are much more manageable depending on your bankroll. Any by the way your bank roll should be no less than $15,000 and hopefully more than $20,000 with 6 month of total expenses in a savings account that is protected.
Forget the NL game find a good 20-40 to 40-80 limit game and with solid aggressive play $1,000 a week is not so difficult. Shocking how weak the limit play is these days. Also, the swings are much more manageable depending on your bankroll. Any by the way your bank roll should be no less than $15,000 and hopefully more than $20,000 with 6 month of total expenses in a savings account that is protected.
haha, just dive right in the deep end huh.Doesnt sound like the poster has this kind of bankroll.
haha, just dive right in the deep end huh.Doesnt sound like the poster has this kind of bankroll.
Your kidding right.... The small no limit games will take as much of a bankroll as the 20-40 game, espeically if you plan to make $1,000 a week.
Your kidding right.... The small no limit games will take as much of a bankroll as the 20-40 game, espeically if you plan to make $1,000 a week.
I didn't say you were wrong.
meh this is mostly an assumption from a personal experience i'm sure.You think a 20 year old needs 15k to start playing 2-4NL full time?Uhhh. Nope aaa nope nope nope......also, the limit swings are much more manageable however if we assume that our hero here has no real responsibities and is young enough, he doesnt need to manage his downswings, and the potential of huge Up swings could be much more +EV for him.lets not forget the idea that our player will be playing ONLINE. there for he/she can multi-table some 1-2nl very effectively, cutting down on the swings, and not having to worry about the 15k bankroll needed for someone playing 20-40 live
meh this is mostly an assumption from a personal experience i'm sure.You think a 20 year old needs 15k to start playing 2-4NL full time?Uhhh. Nope aaa nope nope nope......also, the limit swings are much more manageable however if we assume that our hero here has no real responsibities and is young enough, he doesnt need to manage his downswings, and the potential of huge Up swings could be much more +EV for him.lets not forget the idea that our player will be playing ONLINE. there for he/she can multi-table some 1-2nl very effectively, cutting down on the swings, and not having to worry about the 15k bankroll needed for someone playing 20-40 live
My god! I think this is the second thoughtful, sane response I"ve read today!! In General no less!!Truly amazing!! GP Royal :club:
Then this is not playing for a living. It is easy to blow off $1,000-$2,000 quickly in any 1-2 or 2-4 NL game. If we are talking about some kid living at home or something sure they can take a "chance" and play with a smaller bankroll, but I do not believe that was the original posters question.

Anyone here that plays 2/4 1/2 and .50/1 NL how man PTBB/hour and per/100hands do you make. I seen in another thread but i think they were talking mirco about 9+ PTbb's/100 being average winning player in some 2+2 thread. so i was curious what people on here do at low stakes people talk about being able to make a living at.

Then this is not playing for a living. It is easy to blow off $1,000-$2,000 quickly in any 1-2 or 2-4 NL game. If we are talking about some kid living at home or something sure they can take a "chance" and play with a smaller bankroll, but I do not believe that was the original posters question.
ok. well first, anyone who blows 1000-2000 in a 1-2 or 2-4 game should stop playing anyways.and lets also remember that playing 1-2 or 2-4 with a BR of 1000 - 2000 is stupid on its own. His BR for those limits should already be established. 2nd. No i'm not talking about living at home. I'm talking about the idea of someone with very little bills, most 20 year olds who have nothing tying them down.
Anyone here that plays 2/4 1/2 and .50/1 NL how man PTBB/hour and per/100hands do you make. I seen in another thread but i think they were talking mirco about 9+ PTbb's/100 being average winning player in some 2+2 thread. so i was curious what people on here do at low stakes people talk about being able to make a living at.
depends how good you are.. I would assume 2-3bb/100 you want to be on the safe side after all.
ok. well first, anyone who blows 1000-2000 in a 1-2 or 2-4 game should stop playing anyways.
Are you saying that you've never lost 2.5 buyins or more at the 2/4 game? If you haven't, then you haven't played enough hands. Losing 3 buyins is easy to do if you are at action tables and people are willing to call off or bet there whole stack on draws or tp/tk. When the poker gods tease you with such a soft table and then smites you with suckouts, should you stop playing?
Are you saying that you've never lost 2.5 buyins or more at the 2/4 game? If you haven't, then you haven't played enough hands. Losing 3 buyins is easy to do if you are at action tables and people are willing to call off or bet there whole stack on draws or tp/tk. When the poker gods tease you with such a soft table and then smites you with suckouts, should you stop playing?
I have blown through 4 because of people pot commiting themselves with flush draws and hitting.

ok so to be safe we will say 2.5 PTbb/100 looking right now on full tilt and UB full ring games are playing 80hands an hour if you 2 table to be safe. that is 4 PTBB/100 hands. at 1/2 that =$16/hour or in 40hours 640. 2/4 that 1280 a week and 320 a week at .50 1. so you would make 33K a year at 1/2 assuming this very modest win rate. 66K a year at 2/4 and well .50 1 you might as well save your time and find a real job. So that would probably assume you have to play 2/4 NL or bigger to make a living. and at least 4/8 limit assuming the same win rate(might not be realistic might i dont' know).

well lets see, is he playing 1-2 or 2-4???and is it 1000 or 2000???There is a BIG differenceBecause I sure as hell didnt say 1000 in a 2-4 game. No. i assume what is meant is 1000 in a 1-2 game and 2000 in a 2-4 game. cuz that would make a little more sense as to why i claimed him to be a losing player
I have blown through 4 because of people pot commiting themselves with flush draws and hitting.
have you ever heard of Controlling the Pot??maybe your problem isnt people hitting draws.
ok so to be safe we will say 2.5 PTbb/100 looking right now on full tilt and UB full ring games are playing 80hands an hour if you 2 table to be safe. that is 4 PTBB/100 hands. at 1/2 that =$16/hour or in 40hours 640. 2/4 that 1280 a week and 320 a week at .50 1. so you would make 33K a year at 1/2 assuming this very modest win rate. 66K a year at 2/4 and well .50 1 you might as well save your time and find a real job. So that would probably assume you have to play 2/4 NL or bigger to make a living. and at least 4/8 limit assuming the same win rate(might not be realistic might i dont' know).
yeah but you are forgetting expenses that come with playing online, new monitors , new mice, counseling etc.
well lets see, is he playing 1-2 or 2-4???and is it 1000 or 2000???There is a BIG differenceBecause I sure as hell didnt say 1000 in a 2-4 game. No. i assume what is meant is 1000 in a 1-2 game and 2000 in a 2-4 game. cuz that would make a little more sense as to why i claimed him to be a losing playerhave you ever heard of Controlling the Pot??maybe your problem isnt people hitting draws.
Yea, losing 5+ buyins would certainly suck. I haven't done that YET, but it could happen.
Yea, losing 5+ buyins would certainly suck. I haven't done that YET, but it could happen.
see, thats where it can get into a huge debate.How many max buy-ins in a NL holdem cash game until its clear there is a leak in your game?