Calculating Your "m"

Alright i've seen it a lot around here and im really curious to what it is and how do you calculate it. I searched for it but I came up empty handed. Thanks to any info
Divide your stack by the sum of the big blind, the small blind, and all the antes. The hands you play and the way you play them depend on your M value. Ex. you will want to push with almost anything with an M value below 5.Edit: if you can be the first one in. This is another concept called first in vig.

Ignore the above poster. It's a number that tells you how many rounds of blinds you have left as described in the first response.edit: ignore 007killa, not the response on Harrington on Holdem. Read the first two volumes. M is covered in the 2nd one.

Ignore the above poster. It's a number that tells you how many rounds of blinds you have left as described in the first response.edit: ignore 007killa, not the response on Harrington on Holdem. Read the first two volumes. M is covered in the 2nd one.
And I thought you were being a jerk and was about to fire back! Couldn't believe you were saying to ignore HonH. :club:
Alright i've seen it a lot around here and im really curious to what it is and how do you calculate it. I searched for it but I came up empty handed. Thanks to any info
M=your stack size/CPRCPR=cost per round(small blind+big blind+antes)e.g. say blinds are 500, 1000, antes are 200 and there are 10 people at your table, CPR=500+1000+(10x200)=500+1000+2000=3500. If your stack size is 35, 000. M=35,000/3500=10M=Paul Magriel's number as he was apparently the first to coin it's usage.The higher the M, the better off you are. When your M gets lower, suited connectors and such generally lose their value as your implied odds are much lower, you will also tend to push with more marginal hands when your M gets to 5 or lower. Read Harrington on Holdem to get a more comprehensive definition, he talks about inflection points and such.
Does it bug anyone else when people talk in terms of big blinds instead of M?
Yah, I hate that. At the Niagara tourney, I was at, I was down to 16K in chips, so my M was less than 5 as the CPR was 3500. I'm basically going to shove or fold at this point. The dude next to me asks "How many big blinds do you have?" It irritated me a bit because it doesn't matter that I have 15 big blinds. It matters that my M is low.
They're always doing this on the PPT. Always confuses me. They'll say something that sounds semi-reasonable like "He's not in critical condition yet with 15 big blinds" and then you realize he's got an M of like 8. Major difference.
They're always doing this on the PPT. Always confuses me. They'll say something that sounds semi-reasonable like "He's not in critical condition yet with 15 big blinds" and then you realize he's got an M of like 8. Major difference.
Many pros just use 10 BB the way others use M=5. It's just an approximation anyway.

If you are literacy-challenged, buy Kill Phil. Same concept, but meshes well with smash strategy. Kind of like an idiots guide to tournament play. It has actually worked for me (and I am an idiot at poker).

• 1 year later...
lol it bugs me when people talk in terms of M and not BB.as long as you get the basic idea behind it, they mean the same damn thing, and it's easier to see how many BB you have left.
If you are literacy-challenged, buy Kill Phil. Same concept, but meshes well with smash strategy. Kind of like an idiots guide to tournament play. It has actually worked for me (and I am an idiot at poker).
That is the worst poker book ever.
who shoves 15 big blinds in an unopened pot?
Depends on the players at the table, your position, size of other stacks, money in the pot, who you're shoving into.