when to slowplay a flopped set of aces?

Can someone please help me with this. I seem to always lose with a flopped set of aces to runner,runner everytime I try to slowplay them. Is there a right time and a wrong time to slowplay a flopped top set?

Is it limit or no-limit?If it's limit - especially low limit, why bother slowplaying? Bet, raise, reraise. If someone's got a hand, they'll play, and if they don't they'll get the hell out of the way - or make incorrect calls.In NL, maybe slowplay the flop, but on the turn bring the hammer down. If someone wants to try for the miracle, make them pay.

Certain conditions have to exist for you to slowplay a strong hand, really. The pot has to be small (if it's big, you should be happy taking it down), there can't be scare cards out there (two-flushes, etc. Dont want to give free cards to anyone who can crack your set), and (this is where knowing your players comes in) you have to be fairly certain that your bet will scare people off (if they're calling stations, no need to slowplay, really).In other words, you don't do it too often. If in doubt, bet out.

Guest XXEddie

in limit I slowplay the flop given there not a ton of draws waiting to make my move during larger betting roundsin NL ill check all the time if there are no draws, unlikely, and ill usually bet according to how many draws could be out therebut again, i think we need moe info

Never check the flop giving a free card, but it may sometimes be correct not to make it two bets on the flop, usually only if it's a rainbow. Just remember since ace is high and low there is no flop with an ace that does not present some kind of possible straight draw.

Guest XXEddie

Just remember since ace is high and low there is no flop with an ace that does not present some kind of possible straight draw.say the flop comes A69do you really think a str8 draw is something to feargiven you are, SMART, and raise a good amount preflop(not any of that pathetic minimum raise crap)only 47, 78, T8, T7 and 48 can hit a str8.....do you really think someone has one of those

In NL I would certaintly fear a flop of A69 78 is a very reasonable holding for someone to have, people loveeeeee playing suited connectors these days, you cannot slow play in this situation. In limit I would only play them slowly heads up, any more than one opponent just bet and raise. As Eddy has already pointed out, anytime you flop a set with Aces there is always a straight draw out there, you have to bet them out if you dont want them to get broke and I hope you are raising them preflop. In NL you have a little bit more leeway for slowplaying because you should be able to get the hand heads up more frequently with your preflop raise. Then you are still looking for a very ideal flop of something like A49 where the only straight draw in an inside one and with someone calling the initial raise preflop with 23. This is a board where slowplaying is beneficial, but my thinking with AA is you win small pots or lose big ones. Be happy taking down your small pot with it unless you can get it all on preflop, or flop a monster. Trying to get 'cute' with it will cost you and you will be able to crack the aces with your suited connectors, that's where you can get your big pots imo

There's no real card that can come out on the turn that will give you much action. People are only going to stay in with a draw which will end up beating your set. yeah, but most people are smart to fold them if its raised ....MOSTMost people are smart enough to keep themselves from getting too fancy.

Depends if it's limit or NL. in limit I play it fast. In NL the way I play this depends completely on my read on the player and his style. Flopping a set against an agressive player usually means slowplaying will get you paid. On the other hand, if you're up against a tighty, you aren't going to get paid regardless so bet the pot to force him to pay for his draw (if he has one).

Can someone please help me with this. I seem to always lose with a flopped set of aces to runner,runner everytime I try to slowplay them. Is there a right time and a wrong time to slowplay a flopped top set?
Slow playing flopped ACES are quite dangerous because you can lose to a str8 from both directions! :D Think about it if the flop comes to as follow:A 10 2A K 3A 6 8 A 3 JAny of these types of flops, the turn can give somebody a straight. A set of aces should be slow played when you are good and are able to read your opponent on KK or QQ. There are many other situations in which you can slow play a set of aces but jus tkonw somebody can make a str8 on the turn. Name one flop in which there's an ace where nobody can hit a str8 on the turn :) I could be wrong but i havent thought of one yet.People tend to have a similar problem when they slow play two pair AK. It's pretty dangerous if there's another picture out there :)

The standard rule is to slowplay when your opponents can improve without hurting your hand. In no limit: If there's a flush draw or an obvious straight draw out there, you want them paying for it. If there was a flush draw out there and it hits on the turn, they'll probably slow play it back to you. If they do hit a straight or flush draw and the board pairs up, you're going to **** them in a big way. Just dont be giving them free draws to the nuts when you know that you're currently ahead. Against overly aggressive players who give you some (but not much) credit, you sometimes can afford to bet on a set that otherwise is ragged. There are certain players who (especially if you give htem reason to believe this) will always assume that someone would slow play a monster, so they'll assume they can bet you out of a pot when you come out betting initially. If they have any draws, they'll call reasonable bets too. If they've got nothing, then you wont get anything out of them anyways, so no harm done.I've exploited others' assumption of slow-playing so many times. The flop can be K,K,5 and ill be sitting with K/Q... only to give a pot sized bet. Nobody would bet with the trips they think, right? So a guy with the 5 and an ace kicker will raise me, someone with pockets between 5's and kings will raise again, and I didnt have to slow play a god damn thing. Against incompetent players though, you cant exploit it. Incompetent players wont bet without the nuts. In a way, you need people to assume that you ARENT incompetent for that to work. I guess i should be glad that i've gotten that kind of respect in home games.In limit, just bet, raise, cap.

I really don't like slow playing sets. Many times I will try for the check-raise on the flop to try to push out any draws. The vast majority of sets are just too vulnerable to slow play. Save slow playing for your made nut flushes, full houses, and the occasional nut straight.

In limit, I am pushing the flopped set of Aces. Even if a scare card comes on the turn and you are raised, you still have 10 outs going to the river. Many times it could also be someone playing Ax and catching 2 pair on the turn that is pushing back. You can't be afraid of draws in limit when you have top set no matter what comes. (with the exception of a suited flop, or a 4 card flush on board, in which you still can't get out with your 7 outs on flop and 10 on turn). So push always with top set in Limit.For NL, on uncoordinated boards it may be correct to slowplay the flop and the flop only. If you made a correct raise PF, then the boards you should be scared of are things like AJ9 or AT9, especially with 2 suits. I don't slowplay when there are 2 above 10 on the flop, otherwise, I think it's fine to slowplay it. If someone catches their 56 or 78 to make their straight, then ok, I still have those 10 cards on the river that help me to have justice to be done.So, I guess my point is, you still have a draw with top set if you are outdrawn on turn. I will take the chance of having someone outdraw me on the flop and punish them if they want to continue to the river.Just my 2 cents.

yeah, but most people are smart to fold them if its raised....MOSTI personally love playing suited connectors in NL when there has been a raise preflop, particularly if there is more than one caller (which there almost always is on the tables I play). For every nine times I whiff the flop and have to fold, there'll be another time I nail the flop and bust someone who can't get away from KK, AA, etc. And that's a +EV situation.So I'd say definitely bet out if you hit that set, unless there is an aggressor player after you who you feel sure you can checkraise.

you were awfully vague with that question. I'll try to give an answer anyway ...You can try to slowplay it if you are up against a very aggressive opponent, and you are first to act. Check it to him and see if he'll try to make a bluff at the pot. However, if you just smooth call his bluff, and there's not straight or flush possibilities out there, he'll probably know you have him beat, or at least have top pair.If you called someone's raise and are the first to act, go ahead and lead in with a bet of about 1/3 of the pot. If they come over the top, you got 'em.If it's limit poker, don't slowplay. It never really works out, and if it does, you might get one extra bet by using a check raise, but you're running the risk of giving a free card that gets someone a flush or straight draw, and you just opened up the doors to those runner runner examples you gave.