I think it didn't win because A) there was a huge controversy on how much of it was legitimate, and how much of it (if any) was a prank B) If it was a prank, I think many, many of the voters, who bought Mister Brainwash art, would be members of the academy. C) I think there was a huge question to how reverently banksy would have taken the proceedings. I think the movie should have won best picture, I think it's easily the most memorable movie of the year.

I think I agree with all of that, except for the certainty in your final sentence. It's definitely in the running for me, though.
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think a very large part of what makes it so fascinating and borderline brilliant is the ambiguity of whether or not Banksy created Mr. Brainwash, and whether or not Mr. Brainwash is sincere. His ar

I think I agree with all of that, except for the certainty in your final sentence. It's definitely in the running for me, though.
Yeah, I meant for me. I can see how others might not like it, but for me, it's like they made the perfect movie for me. It might be rash, but I think it might have cracked my top five of all time, is how much I like it.

Inside JobReally great--I like for some of the same reasons I liked Exit Through the Gift Shop--I love watching smart people speak in measured tones about subjects that are important to them.

I've been watching a lot of documentaries lately, many that were recommended by various people in this thread. Some:Children Underground - Devastatingly sad. Absolutely utterly devastating. Two thumbs up. B.I.K.E. - Punk-hipster-druggie-bicyclists in Brooklyn. Humorous and somewhat intriguing. Gawk at them and laugh at their ironic mustaches and embarrassing bicycles. Deliver Us From Evil - Also devastating, and beautifully made. Fuckin' Catholics amirite. Waco: The Rules of Engagement - Wow. I do wish that it gave both sides of the argument fairly, but what it does show is extremely compelling.

I watched ETtGS and liked it, but I have to watch it again and give it my full attention to have more of an opinion than that.

What if Justin Timberlake actually did play Banksy in the interview portions of Exit Through the Gift Shop? His joke at the Academy Awards claiming to be Banksy fell flat, twice. I'm just sayin, what if.

http://videosift.com/video/onkaloINTO ETERNITY"Every day, the world over, large amounts of high-level radioactive waste cre- ated by nuclear power plants is placed in interim storage, which is vulnerable to natural disasters, man-made disasters, and to societal changes. In Finland the world’s first permanent repository is being hewn out of solid rock – a huge system of underground tunnels - that must last 100,000 years as this is how long the waste remains hazardous."really good little doc about the uncertainty of storing nuclear waste for 100 000 years. Civilizations come and go over those spans, and the film really demonstrates the rational and logic used by the Finnish when thinking about what the world may be in 100 000 years.
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone's still thinking about Banksy, but he's in a new show here in Los Angeles.MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) is pandering to the unwashed masses and has put up a show titled "Art in the Streets" featuring graff writers from around the world. It officially opened yesterday, and with everyone in town managing their installations, LA has been getting covered in some great art. Banksy is featured, although specifically not named in the press releases.Here's a peek at some of what's been put up.Melrose + Fairfax blog

Alone in the WildernessAmazing movie really. If you're a fan of Survivorman, you'll enjoy this. I'm certain it must've inspired Les Stroud. Dick Proenneke is a true man to say the least. He went to see if he could live alone essentially off the land for 1 year in the Alaska wilderness and lived 30+.Documentary tells the story of Dick Proenneke who, in the late 1960s, built his own cabin in the wilderness at the base of the Aleutian Peninsula, Alaska, in what is now Lake Clark National Park. Using color footage he shot himself, Proenneke traces how he came to this remote area, selected a homestead site and built his log cabin completely by himself. The documentary covers his first year in-country, showing his day-to-day activities and the passing of the seasons as he sought to scratch out a living alone in the wilderness.Watch the whole movie here

Just watched most of "His Way" about the life and career of producer Jerry Weintraub...it was pretty fascinating. I came into it in the middle where he was discussing his life producing shows for Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, John Denver and a whole host of other musical acts (before he got into producing movies). The last 20-30 minutes or so is all about the Oceans 11,12,13 franchise, with interviews from Clooney, Pitt, Damon, Roberts and Soderberg...pretty funny behind the scenes stuff. Definitely worth a watch, it's on HBO.

I watched ETTGS again and I feel about the same. I think it's very good, but not earth-shattering for me. Mac makes me feel like I'm missing something, though. I also got to Waiting for Superman. My recently-graduated-teacher-fag-roommate cried through the whole thing, which made it pretty un-enjoyable. On second watch, I thought it was solid. I think it needed another half-hour of run-time to get as in depth as I would have liked on some of the individual kids and it was a little haughty in the delivery of it's themes, but overall a doc. I'd recommend.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Conan O'Brien Can't StopI thought it was very good, and pretty brave of CoB to put out a warts and all type of picture. I watched it at home, and don't think the movie lost anything on the small screen.

Paradise Lost, and Paradise Lost 2. Chilling, somewhat horrifying (they show you close up crime-scene photos of 3 mutilated children), and in the end fascinating. Three teenagers got convicted (one sentenced to death), but in many ways the case against them appeared to be a farce, and there was essentially zero evidence actually tying the teens to the killings. The second doc revisits the community and the teenagers (now in their 20s) in prison, and follows the lawyers trying to get a new case. There is apparently a Paradise Lost 3 in the works, updating the situation and following current events which look like they could actually lead to a new trial. It's not that I'm 100% sure that the three teenagers were innocent - it's more like 95%, but to be able to say, with no reasonable doubt, that they did it is ludicrous.

• 5 months later...
Paradise Lost, and Paradise Lost 2. Chilling, somewhat horrifying (they show you close up crime-scene photos of 3 mutilated children), and in the end fascinating. Three teenagers got convicted (one sentenced to death), but in many ways the case against them appeared to be a farce, and there was essentially zero evidence actually tying the teens to the killings. The second doc revisits the community and the teenagers (now in their 20s) in prison, and follows the lawyers trying to get a new case. There is apparently a Paradise Lost 3 in the works, updating the situation and following current events which look like they could actually lead to a new trial. It's not that I'm 100% sure that the three teenagers were innocent - it's more like 95%, but to be able to say, with no reasonable doubt, that they did it is ludicrous.
Paradise Lost 3 was on HBO last night.Interview with the filmmakers."In August 2011, after 18 years in prison, the West Memphis Three finally walked free."
Paradise Lost 3 was on HBO last night.Interview with the filmmakers."In August 2011, after 18 years in prison, the West Memphis Three finally walked free."
Yeah I saw the story that they went free (apparently just a week after I made that post) but I didn't know the third documentary had come out. Thanks for the heads up.It's a really interesting story, mostly regarding the fallibility of our court system, but what sort of gets lost is the question of who actually committed the crime, and if the West Memphis 3 actually may have been guilty. The filmmakers take a very strong point of view that the three are innocent, and in some ways it might have been more interesting if they'd tried to remain more neutral. Either way though, the evidence that they were convicted on was horrendously lacking.

I'm guessing that they actually did commit the crime, however, they shouldn't have been convicted.At least they had a few years in the pen before being let out to murder some more people.

I'm guessing that they actually did commit the crime, however, they shouldn't have been convicted.At least they had a few years in the pen before being let out to murder some more people.
Did you watch the original documentary?
  • 4 weeks later...
surely you can't be serious