The True Story of Blackhawk Down | IMDBThis gem was on the history channel a few days ago and I couldn't turn away. I thought this documentary was really well done and it basically proved that the hollywood movie was very close to the actual events that unfolded. The real heroes were all interviewed and pretty much covered minute by minute what happened and alot of the details are pretty shocking. They interview both American Soliders and Somalis and showed a lot of real footage of the battle from jouranlists and chopper cams.Some scenes were very hard to watch but it was a solid 90min flick.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think a very large part of what makes it so fascinating and borderline brilliant is the ambiguity of whether or not Banksy created Mr. Brainwash, and whether or not Mr. Brainwash is sincere. His ar

I'm going to weigh in for Spellbound, mostly because I noticed the thread title is misspelled.
My uncle and aunt are in that movie.
Another great documentary is A Walk Into the Sea: Danny Williams and the Warhol Factory... it's about this woman search to find out about her uncle, who'd commited suicide after spending time at the warhol factory ( he ended up walking out into the ocean and drowning). It has lots of great interviews with members of the factory today.. and shows them just to be these petty, absurd, awful people. It's fascinating.
I watched this last night and your description is spot on.
My uncle and aunt are in that movie.
So, a couple of your relatives that should be older than you are actually children? No, wait, don't go...I'm curious for real: What were they doing in that movie? One thing I remember about it now it that motor-mouthed kid who seemed to be acting weird because it gave him a lot of attention.
  • 3 weeks later...

Lewis and Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery by Ken BurnsI can't remember why I started watching because I wasn't particularly interested in the subject, but once I started watching I couldn't stop. It is quite lengthy, but worth every second. The Up Series I just finished watching this and it had me totally engrossed, though I couldn't explain to you why. I may start a separate thread on this one, I found the concept very interesting, but what kept me going back, was, what could most accurately be described as, a type of voyeurism.

So, a couple of your relatives that should be older than you are actually children? No, wait, don't go...I'm curious for real: What were they doing in that movie? One thing I remember about it now it that motor-mouthed kid who seemed to be acting weird because it gave him a lot of attention.
My uncle is the pastor of the Indian kid (Georgie?) from St. Louis. He is the pastor speaking at the church service and then my aunt and him are shown in a close up shot at the actual spelling bee.
  • 2 weeks later...
Holy shit: Timothy Treadwell was 100% fucking crazy. I assumed he was just typical animal-idiot-crazy, but he actually went crazy. Amazing.
I LOVED Grizzly Man. Herzog blew me away with the way he interwove the movie Treadwell thought he was making with Herzog's own "nature is brutal and indifferent" ethos with Treadwell's friends dissecting the movie even while they are in the movie. It's three braided strands of who we think we are, who our friends think we are, and how the select use of film footage can manipulate both images and create a third person, and overlaying all of that Herzog's idea that ultimately no one and nothing cares about any of the personas we create. Amazing and brilliant, and all under the surface.
This is correct. If you have access to this doc, and possibly could upload it for me, you would solidify yourself as a badass. Or just an invite to the forum would work.
What is this forum you speak of?

darwin's nightmare- from the website: "Some time in the 1960's, in the heart of Africa, a new animal was introduced into Lake Victoria as a little scientific experiment. The Nile Perch, a voracious predator, extinguished almost the entire stock of the native fish species. However, the new fish multiplied so fast, that its white fillets are today exported all around the world.Huge hulking ex-Soviet cargo planes come daily to collect the latest catch in exchange for their southbound cargo… Kalashnikovs and ammunitions for the uncounted wars in the dark center of the continent.This booming multinational industry of fish and weapons has created an ungodly globalized alliance on the shores of the world’s biggest tropical lake: an army of local fishermen, World bank agents, homeless children, African ministers, EU-commissioners, Tanzanian prostitutes and Russian pilots."dark days- film maker goes underground to live with his subjects- a society in NYC's abandoned subway shaftsmy best fiend- film about the relationship between Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski. probably only for fans of the director, but it's revealing and very funny.all three are good, but darwin's nightmare is probably the best documentary (in terms of cinematography, personality, and effect on the viewer) i've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...
dark days- film maker goes underground to live with his subjects- a society in NYC's abandoned subway shafts
This movie is excellent, thanks for the recommendation. Beautifully shot, too.

Has anyone else seen Hell House? It's a doc about a church that puts on a big, annual production of basically a preachy haunted house that's designed to **** with people's emotions and scare them into converting Christianity, and is incredibly demeaning to homosexuals and other faggy groups. (I know first hand how effective this practice is, as I've been on the crew of many such productions.)I find it pretty hysterical, others may find it interesting or upsetting or uplifting; I don't really know how regular people's heads work anymore. I recommend.http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4958806/Hell_House_2001_XVID

Has anyone else seen Hell House? It's a doc about a church that puts on a big, annual production of basically a preachy haunted house that's designed to **** with people's emotions and scare them into converting Christianity, and is incredibly demeaning to homosexuals and other faggy groups. (I know first hand how effective this practice is, as I've been on the crew of many such productions.)I find it pretty hysterical, others may find it interesting or upsetting or uplifting; I don't really know how regular people's heads work anymore. I recommend.http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4958806/Hell_House_2001_XVID
Here it is also, without downloading.I also enjoyed it. A very important note is that this is a doc that is once again dealing with Pentecostalism, but implying that it's general Christianity.
Here it is also, without downloading.I also enjoyed it. A very important note is that this is a doc that is once again dealing with Pentecostalism, but implying that it's general Christianity.
My church was nondenominational and extremely middle-of-the-road in terms of liberal/conservative; no speaking in tongues, no snakes...and it pulled off basically the same production. Not saying every church is exactly this wacky, but its behavior is far from exceptional. At least in the South. I've been to a lot of churches, and the only thing that even struck me as unusual in this movie was the Tongues. I think that was why I found it so funny; because seeing this type of thing again, years removed, it seems so much more batshit.
My church was nondenominational and extremely middle-of-the-road in terms of liberal/conservative; no speaking in tongues, no snakes...and it pulled off basically the same production. Not saying every church is exactly this wacky, but its behavior is far from exceptional. At least in the South. I've been to a lot of churches, and the only thing that even struck me as unusual in this movie was the Tongues. I think that was why I found it so funny; because seeing this type of thing again, years removed, it seems so much more batshit.
I understand what you're saying, but have no personal experience with anything like this. Southerners are weird.My favorite part of the movie is when they interview some dude and he says something to the effect of:"This is fucking typical Christian faggot shit. With that fucking faggot dying? I was offended by that shit because I have friends that are faggots."I laughed heartily.
Has anyone else seen Hell House?
Yes, yes. I saw that and Devil's Playground together in some sort of homegrown religious documentary double feature.Devil's Playground follows Amish teens during their Rumspringa. It's pretty interesting, but falls in the category of the featured material being better than the film making.
Yes, yes. I saw that and Devil's Playground together in some sort of homegrown religious documentary double feature.Devil's Playground follows Amish teens during their Rumspringa. It's pretty interesting, but falls in the category of the featured material being better than the film making.
Devil's Playground was fairly interesting, but I really feel that they could have gone deeper with the story. It seemed they were too focused on "OMG, these Amish kids are drinking, doing drugs and having sex at 16!!" and didn't spend enough time focusing on the ramifications of raising children in this environment in today's world. The psychology behind this period of Rumspringa is very intriguing to me.I watched Skid Row on Netflix recently and was very disappointed. It centers around an area in downtown LA called Skid Row, where homeless people live on sidewalks in tents and cardboard boxes. Pras from the Fugees really ruined this movie as he had absolutely no idea what he was dealing with, and didn't really seem to spend much of his 9 days living with the other homeless people. The first day he's there he spends all of the money he got panhandling ($15) on lunch at a restaurant in a hotel. WTF? The good part about this movie were the people he interacted with and the fact that it might open people's eyes to how serious poverty is in the richest country in the world.Dark Days arrived today so I'll be watching that soon. Anybody have any suggestions for documentaries similar to dark days or maybe with more of a survivalist/outdoor angle?
  • 1 month later...

I was just about to bump this thread. This is one of the most interesting and educational docs I have seen in a long long time. It's about the history of oil, and I'll be damned if it's wasn't fantastic. Narrated by Donald Sutherland:I believe it was aired on PBS at some point, and may as well been made by Ken Burns, as it plays a lot like The Civil War.The Prize: Episode 1The Prize: Episode 2The Prize: Episode 3The Prize: Episode 4 <<--- Probably my favorite episode. (Oil and WWII)The Prize: Episode 5The Prize: Episode 6The Prize: Episode 7

• 1 month later...
Best line:
Chien said his mother has never been supportive [of his obsession with DK, I assume*], and after news hit, she said, "Isn't it time to stop now?"
* I feel that I should further expand on how poorly-written that sentence is. It's the only line in the article about his mother, and it blatantly suggests that she has never been supportive of Chien, her son, period. I would assume that the author means it only in relation to DK (and maybe other arcade games), but I shouldn't have to assume things that are contrary to what is written. Nice writing, author of that article.
  • 1 month later...

Exit Through the Gift ShopI saw it in the theater this weekend, but I don't imagine that it will ever open wide, and most people will end up seeing this in their homes.I loved this movie, and it'll probably be one of the best movies I see this year. It's the story of Banksy (street artist from the UK, also, director of this film) and Mr. Brainwash (street artist from LA). The movie is short and funny, feels accomplished and from a singular point of view.If it's playing near you, or you get a chance to check it out, I highly recommend.