• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think a very large part of what makes it so fascinating and borderline brilliant is the ambiguity of whether or not Banksy created Mr. Brainwash, and whether or not Mr. Brainwash is sincere. His ar

I heard he unironically wears a cape. Confirm/deny.
Denied.He does exclusively wear different red, white, and blue neck ties. And I think he has a mullet, as well. (Are the parts greater than the sum? Do those two things equal a cape?)

The staircasefor football fans, the last game is totally amazing. Also, I'm looking forward to the new documentary about Lebron's team when he was a senior.

Anyone have a download link for Just, Melvin: Just Evil? It sounds hot as balls.
It's absolutely incredible. They actually show footage of the guy's funeral with his daughters pissing on his grave. Scouts honor.ROGER EBERT:...our next movie is one of the angriest, most painful documentaries I have ever seen--and it's one of the best. It's titled "Just, Melvin" It debuts on HBO cable in two weeks, and it tells the story of a man named Melvin Just, who as a husband, father, stepfather and grandfather repeatedly committed incest and violent abuse against almost every single member of his family. The story is told by two of the survivors: his daughter, Ann Marie, and her son, James Ronald Whitney, who directed the film.[sHOW CLIP FROM THE MOVIE]ROGER EBERT:As family members the filmmakers have access to everyone involved, including Melvin's wife, who was Ann's mother and stood by while abuse took place.[sHOW CLIP FROM THE MOVIE]ROGER EBERT:The litany of incest and abuse continues, as we see a family devastated by this man. And what is incredible is that the filmmaker actually confronts Melvin Just himself, and he talks to him on camera.[sHOW CLIP FROM THE MOVIE]ROGER EBERT:There are a lot of movies about abuse, but very rarely do you get to confront the abuser in person on the screen...This moie is one of those incredible documentaries you can barely imagine being made. Its story is horrifying, and the testimony of the survivors, including James Whitney and his mother Ann, is both grave and inconsolable. What's liberating is they actually confront their molester, and they nail him right on camera. The name of the documentary is "Just, Melvin" It will play twice on HBO, starting April 22nd. You have never seen anything like it...the movie is so amazing: it shows a history, a multigenerational history of abuse in which this one person in this family--without any resources or any escape hatch--was just able to impose his evil will year after year after year...I thought it was really powerful.
He's sort of the Phil Hellmuth of Donkey Kong. It's very amusing, if a bit overrated. I recommend.
The marketing tactic of moving his bbq sauce to eye level in the supermarket certainly seems like it would be a hellmuthian move. Definitely a documentary worth watching.
Holy shit: Timothy Treadwell was 100% fucking crazy. I assumed he was just typical animal-idiot-crazy, but he actually went crazy. Amazing.
You're watching some good movies lately. I especially enjoyed the Letterman segment.

Is anybody watching the 30 for 30 series? ESPN is having 30 different directors do a documentary about any particular sports subject they're interested in. I like the idea, although I didn't watch the first one (King's Ransom, about the Gretzky trade). And the next few ones don't sound interesting either. (I should be a salesman.) But then some of the best documentaries aren't necessarily about a subject that you're all that interested to begin with.

I watched the king of kong, and I love love loved it.. but I was disappointed to find out that the documentary manipulated the facts in order to make it seem more dramatic.. the million point score that Wiebe sent in via video tape wasn't to break Mullet man's record... it was to break Wiebe's own 2003 record. The Documentary gives you the impression that he was breaking mullet man's record. Wiebe had appeared in national video game competitions in the past, had met Mullet man and even competed against and done interviews with him... Finding out this stuff really burst my bubble about this documentary. I think the subject matter was interesting enough ( and the competitor's weird enough) that they didn't need to manipulate facts like that.

Is anybody watching the 30 for 30 series? ESPN is having 30 different directors do a documentary about any particular sports subject they're interested in. I like the idea, although I didn't watch the first one (King's Ransom, about the Gretzky trade). And the next few ones don't sound interesting either. (I should be a salesman.) But then some of the best documentaries aren't necessarily about a subject that you're all that interested to begin with.
I thought the Gretzky one was good... I'll keep watching.
  • 2 weeks later...

Louis Theroux.The guy has made some fantastic specials for the BBC.these were my favorites, they are pretty mind blowing.2.4 "Louis Behind Bars" Louis goes inside California’s San Quentin – one of America's most notorious prisons – to meet serial murderers, gang members, at risk inmates and guards.2.5 "Louis’ African Hunting Holiday" Louis journeys to Limpopo Province in South Africa to join the holidaymakers who flock there to hunt big game.2.6 "Law and Disorder in Philadelphia" Louis joins Philadelphia's police department, patrolling an area that has over 400 homicides a year, drug dealers on every corner and where carrying a gun is part of everyday life. But during his time spent with the local cops, he sees a complex picture evolve.2.7 "Law and Disorder in Johannesburg" Louis Theroux travels to Johannesburg, where the residents find themselves increasingly besieged by crime as he looks at the issue of law and disorder.Here is the Philadelphia one: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-258794784227132041#The Johanesbourgh episode is even more disturbing.

I love Louis Theroux. I've seen about 80-90% of his shows. Some of the older ones are really amazing too, and are really really funny, like the one where he goes to the south to learn about gangsta rap, and the one where he goes to NY to learn how to make it as a Broadway actor. The one at the brothel in Nevada was really good too, and they're not just funny, they're incredibly interesting.

For some reason Netflix doesn't have the Theroux specials. Maybe I'm not searching for the right key word. alsoBigger, Stronger, Faster wasn't as interesting as I had hoped.

My top 3 docs are:CRUMB about the cartoonist Robert Crumb and his twisted family.Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse About Coppola's making of Apocalypse Now.Little Dieter Needs to Fly Werner Herzog at his best. He later made the movie Rescue Dawn based on Dieter's story.

Hope you get a chance to get over to the Hammer Museum. Crumb has a new exhibit there, his illustrated Book of Genesis. It should be spectacular.
Thanks a lot for the info. Just checked out their website. Will go there for sure. Too bad, just missed him "live" on OCT.27...You have a weird name...WomanDeadChildren? FrenchCarTenChildren? WifeCarTenKids?