A Question To Atheists

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since you do not believe in any gods what do you think happens when you die
I stay dead.
Are you being serious??I would guess that the reasoning used in choosing not to believe in God applies well to any supernatural phenomena.
yea but i have no clue about anything having to do with the atheist religion- if it is a religion- so it was just a question to try to make myself a little less ignorant
yea but i have no clue about anything having to do with the atheist religion- if it is a religion-
It is not. Generally the idea is that your consciousness ends when you die, since there is no evidence of anything else happening.
yea but i have no clue about anything having to do with the atheist religion- if it is a religion- so it was just a question to try to make myself a little less ignorant
Not a religion. Being dead is probably exactly like not yet being born.
Not a religion. Being dead is probably exactly like not yet being born.
that helps a lil i feel slighty more educated on the non-religion of atheism, basically as i see it it is based on science and evidence and since there is no evidence of a god then there isnt a god, is that about how u think or am i way off base
that helps a lil i feel slighty more educated on the non-religion of atheism, basically as i see it it is based on science and evidence and since there is no evidence of a god then there isnt a god, is that about how u think or am i way off base
Pretty much hit the nail on the head.There are several types of Atheism. Soft atheism, as it is usually called, believes that there probably isn't a god based on the hard evidence. Hard Atheism believes for sure that there is no god. Hard Agnosticism believes that it is impossible to know whether or not there is a god, soft agnosticism believes that they don't know whether or not there is a god (soft agnosticism is a lot like soft atheism).I think I got these terms right, correct me if I'm wrong.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head.There are several types of Atheism. Soft atheism, as it is usually called, believes that there probably isn't a god based on the hard evidence. Hard Atheism believes for sure that there is no god. Hard Agnosticism believes that it is impossible to know whether or not there is a god, soft agnosticism believes that they don't know whether or not there is a god (soft agnosticism is a lot like soft atheism).I think I got these terms right, correct me if I'm wrong.
thanks for the definitions it seems confusing
wow so you dont believe in any form of life after death
You have to remember that life after death, like God, is a man made concept with zero evidence to prove such thing exists. Why should anyone believe it?My dad had a heart attack a few years back and actually flat line for a few minutes (pretty much dead, although not brain dead) and he remembers nothing.I find it very strange that you put 'wow' in front of your comment, as if we should all believe there is. Why should I believe in something with zero evidence?
I would guess that the reasoning used in choosing not to believe in God applies well to any supernatural phenomena.
this statement is often true. also, as LLY's definitions show, most people that call themselves 'atheists' often actually only have agnostic, or 'soft atheist' beliefs. some argue that 'hard atheist' beliefs rely on the same type of lack of evidence that belief in god relies on.so yeah, most people that do not believe in god, are in fact 'soft atheist' or 'agnostic' in their beliefs, though their beliefs would not be considered a religion.
this statement is often true. also, as LLY's definitions show, most people that call themselves 'atheists' often actually only have agnostic, or 'soft atheist' beliefs. some argue that 'hard atheist' beliefs rely on the same type of lack of evidence that belief in god relies on.
<------ in this book dawkins argues convincingly that these definitions are more than a little arbitrary, and that the vast majority of people who call themselves agnostics & atheists essentially fit in the same category. certainly by strict definition "hard" atheists are extremely rare.
You have to remember that life after death, like God, is a man made concept with zero evidence to prove such thing exists. Why should anyone believe it?
I actually think life after death is the most important religious idea. More important than God even.If you dont believe me, try to imagine the world's religions exactly as they are, except that we actually die. It is unimaginable. Every religion but Buddhism would nearly instantaneously cease to exist. Even now, many people in the west think that Buddhism is just a more poetic form of Atheism so even one religion surviving is more of a technicality.But God dying wouldnt be that big of a deal. Suppose there is no God but we mysteriously survive. You could easily have a bunch of very old and powerful people taking the place of God in today's religions. Everything would be almost the same, except for instead of God punishing and rewarding you, it would be some council of immortal elders.
I actually think life after death is the most important religious idea. More important than God even.If you dont believe me, try to imagine the world's religions exactly as they are, except that we actually die. It is unimaginable. Every religion but Buddhism would nearly instantaneously cease to exist. Even now, many people in the west think that Buddhism is just a more poetic form of Atheism so even one religion surviving is more of a technicality.But God dying wouldnt be that big of a deal. Suppose there is no God but we mysteriously survive. You could easily have a bunch of very old and powerful people taking the place of God in today's religions. Everything would be almost the same, except for instead of God punishing and rewarding you, it would be some council of immortal elders.
If you dont believe me, try to imagine the world's religions exactly as they are, except that we actually die. ? We do die?Everything would be almost the same, except for instead of God punishing and rewarding you, it would be some council of immortal elders.So pretty much the same as it is now then.

When I watch racing, every once n a while there is an accident so bad that it breaks the in-car camera that is sending pictures out. They show the replay.... The car is heading for the wall, heading for the wall, then it reaches the wall..... black.What happens to the camera?.... It is dead. Does it have an afterlife?Nope, it is burried in the ground where it slowly rots into dust.

If there is no life after death, someone must explain one thingWhere do all the calculators go?
Along with the paper clips and one of each pair of socks.... through quantum teleportation they are sucked into the black hole in the center of the galaxy.