Maybe Should Be General...

I switched to Sh from Fr about ayear ago, and after a long battle, i've finally started feeling comfortable with my play and started posting a +bb/100. I think its time to take my game to the next level and i'm having trouble adjusting to different styles of play so in general:1 )If i have a choice....do i want position on the loose passive donk, or the solid TAGs. I've always thought that you want position on the solid player, but i think i read the opposite somewhere and now i'm confused. :club: 2 )When out of position, how do you combat a thinking lag say 40/30/4, who consistenely 3bets preflop, keeps the lead post flop, and seems to go to show down almost all the time. In a 6 handed game its easy to just wait it out and pick up a good hand and nail him...but 3 handed you can't do that. My first thought is check call a lot? Or do i fight back with marginal hands?3 )The game is loose to loose/aggro and you have: 1. QJsuited utg. 2. A9off utg 3. A7s utg 4. KTo utg 5. K9s utg 6. 66 utg......if you fold, at what point do you open? 77?88??4 )Same game on the button against a thinking Lag who raised CO 1. A7o 2.QJo 3. K7o 4. A2s 5. 22 6.JTo 7JTs 8. Q9s5 ) same game in bb against solid tag stealing from button when sb folds 1. AT0 2 A9o 3 KTs 4 KTo 5. 55 6. 89s 7. JTs 8 JTo 9 QTs 10 QT0Sorry for the long post, guys, i don't expect anyone to answer every question, just whichever one you want. Thanks Crunch Doctor

When out of position, how do you combat a thinking lag say 40/30/4, who consistenely 3bets preflop, keeps the lead post flop, and seems to go to show down almost all the time.
If you c/c a lot, you're just playing right into his hands as he can control when the bets go in, and will gain a lot of value pushing marginal edges against you. What you need to do is start raising the turn fairly frequently, both to make slim value bets with hands like TPNK, and occasionally to bluff him off of weak one-pair hands and strong ace-high hands. This will put him to difficult decisions after he's already committed a lot of money to marginal hands.The preflop questions you've asked are pretty stylistic, but 6-handed, I'd open with all the hands you listed, I'd only fold 22 and A7o and 3-bet the rest against the LAG, and I'd 3-bet 1-5 in the last group, and then call with 6-10.

Here are my first thoughts:

1 )If i have a choice....do i want position on the loose passive donk, or the solid TAGs. I've always thought that you want position on the solid player, but i think i read the opposite somewhere and now i'm confused. :club:
Choose position on the opponent that will allow you to make the most money.And sitting behind a fish is where the profit is.This will allow you to better isolate him when he limps with his trash.And you will be able to value bet him all day.Just use your skills to minimize position disadvantage against the solid player.And focus on the fish.
2 )When out of position, how do you combat a thinking lag say 40/30/4, who consistenely 3bets preflop, keeps the lead post flop, and seems to go to show down almost all the time. In a 6 handed game its easy to just wait it out and pick up a good hand and nail him...but 3 handed you can't do that. My first thought is check call a lot? Or do i fight back with marginal hands?
My key is to determine how far he will make continuation bets.If he tends to bet every street after the flop, then check-calling all the way with your marginal hands (2nd pair) is the best way to go.If he adjusts and starts to check down the river, then I begin check-raising on the turn.If he counters by starting to check down the turn, then i begin check-raising on the flop.If he abandons his aggressive style of betting postflop all-together when he misses, then I take the lead myself.This little game usually goes back and forth through long sessions.And my goal is to follow the progress of Villain's mindset.
3 )The game is loose to loose/aggro and you have:
1. QJsuited utg. = I often raise this. but at a very aggressive table, folding would be smarter. 2. A9off utg = Raise 3. A7s utg = Raise 4. KTo utg = Fold 5. K9s utg = Fold 6. 66 utg = Raise4 )Same game on the button against a thinking Lag who raised CO 1. A7o = Usually Fold - unless he has proven that he raises with trash 2.QJo = Always Fold 3. K7o = Always Fold 4. A2s = Always Fold 5. 22 = Usually Fold 6.JTo = Always Fold 7JTs = I sometimes Call with this pretty hand if I think blinds will likely join. But this speculative play may not be right in a limit game. 8. Q9s = FoldMy preflop cold-call % is very low.I much prefer to be the one opening in the pots that I play in.
5 ) same game in bb against solid tag stealing from button when sb folds
1. AT0 = always raise 2 A9o = always raise 3 KTs = call 4 KTo = call 5. 55 = always Raise 6. 89s = call 7. JTs = call 8 JTo = call 9 QTs = call 10 QT0 = callMy plays will shift as my reads change.But these are my "normal" decisions.--CM
  • 3 weeks later...
1) In poker the money is made from the bad players. So you want position on the loose passive donkey instead of the solid player.
I like position on solid players so I know what they are doing. .I dont want a solid player to have position on me.. id much rather give a donk position.
I like position on solid players so I know what they are doing. .I dont want a solid player to have position on me.. id much rather give a donk position.
This is a good way to think if you want to try not to lose money.But I don't sit down at a table with that mindset.--cm