Dn Eliminated Already!

While he certainly could've been beat, or he could have the guy dominated, I think there is something to say about the chance that if DN doubles up early he is probably going to be very dangerous in the tourney. Also, losing his buy-in doesn't bother him as much as it might others.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While he certainly could've been beat, or he could have the guy dominated, I think there is something to say about the chance that if DN doubles up early he is probably going to be very dangerous in the tourney. Also, losing his buy-in doesn't bother him as much as it might others.
*cough cough shove preflop*
Hmm..I argue the fact that he busts this hand.sure there is no reason to push all his chips preflop, but I would have liked to see a re-raise.also, since you didnt re-raise preflop, the only info you're goin on here is a limp, then re-raise by villain. followed by strong continuation bets.if he is trying to rep AA, he is doin a real good job, which makes me wonder why you couldnt get away from KK on the turn
So say he makes it 900, with a 20k stack and 25/25 chips (not really needed imo, not when you play as well as daniel does post flop.) and the dude with QQ decides to find out where he's at and makes it 3K? Hayden folds, what do you do? Gotta call or raise right? do you know where you stand any more than you do with the 1700 rr? not really...what if you raise to 900 and the dude just calls? He could have ANYTHING, now you have to play a big pot postflop w/o a clue.I'd play it differently post flop though, I might check call, bet/fold. Or check/call check/fold...if the guy checks behind I check call small on most rivers, and possibly fold the river to a big bet....I just dont see why playing KK that much different than how you'd play 99 or TT in the 1st level could affect your tourney outcome all that much in the long run. Like I said, 1st level imo 59s > KK...I agree with pat though, he seemed to put him on a hand he wanted him to have, I think AK is unlikely and AQ is a small possibility, either way I'd give up my 4k investment and keep playing my 16k stack. Like I said though, Daniel plays more live than any of us, and when he's playing his A game he reads better than almost anyone out there so I doubt he'll be taking anyone's advice in this thread.
I'd play it differently post flop though, I might check call, bet/fold. Or check/call check/fold...if the guy checks behind I check call small on most rivers, and possibly fold the river to a big bet....I just dont see why playing KK that much different than how you'd play 99 or TT in the 1st level could affect your tourney outcome all that much in the long run. Like I said, 1st level imo 59s > KK...
Daniel had position post flop. UTG limp raised from 25 to 1700.
And only get called by AA? No thanks.
Like I said, UTG limp-raised to 1700 at the 25-25 level. If you put a hand in his range other than QQ+, AK...well, you're probably being pretty wishful. And if you can't get away from it on a Q666 board facing 2 massive bets (100 BBs and 400 BBs)....well, I'm thinking shoving preflop might be a better play :club:.
So say he makes it 900, with a 20k stack and 25/25 chips (not really needed imo, not when you play as well as daniel does post flop.) and the dude with QQ decides to find out where he's at and makes it 3K? Hayden folds, what do you do? Gotta call or raise right? do you know where you stand any more than you do with the 1700 rr? not really...what if you raise to 900 and the dude just calls? He could have ANYTHING, now you have to play a big pot postflop w/o a clue.Ok. 1st off, lets say DN doesnt raise, but smooth calls 300., then the re-raise from 1st limper, DN should then Re-raise at that point. now if the villain can limp raise and see DN re-raised him, do you think he can come over the top of DN with anything except AA?? i mean, even KK has trouble at that point and i think QQ will be paranoid. No way QQ pushes vs DN after 3 consecutive raises.Now lets say DN raises, and QQ decides to re-raise to 3k like you say. DN should then Re-raise. if QQ can come over the top again then cudos for him having such big nads, cuz this will be the 4th raise put in.I'd play it differently post flop though, I might check call, bet/fold. Or check/call check/fold...if the guy checks behind I check call small on most rivers, and possibly fold the river to a big bet....I just dont see why playing KK that much different than how you'd play 99 or TT in the 1st level could affect your tourney outcome all that much in the long run. Like I said, 1st level imo 59s > KK... now lets say there was no raise but only flat calls by dn.post flop after the C-bet, i would raise flop. even just a small raise might give u the correct info you need. if not, if we smooth call again. the turn bet of 10k tells us villain isnt scared of AQ or KK. does it not? I agree with pat though, he seemed to put him on a hand he wanted him to have, I think AK is unlikely and AQ is a small possibility, either way I'd give up my 4k investment and keep playing my 16k stack. Like I said though, Daniel plays more live than any of us, and when he's playing his A game he reads better than almost anyone out there so I doubt he'll be taking anyone's advice in this thread.so, what i said , cheers

All this second guessing is excellent discussion and just goes to show how different everyone plays and how situational this game can be.Daniel did what he thought was right at the time and that's that. The guy had godzilla and it bit Daniels head off. But I don't hate his play at all. Sucks that it went badly.....it happens. Daniel is sooooo far above us, with more knowledge/experience than most of us will EVER hope to have someday. And ya gotta know how bad he wants to win. I'm just wondering how long it's gonna take before some numb skull posts another stupid "DANIELS LOST HIS MOJO" thread? lmao....Get 'em next time D! :club:

I wasn't really "getting cute." The blinds were only 25-25 and I didn't think going all in pre-flop was such a good idea. I was planning on losing the smallest pot possible, but my opponent made a very large turn bet that put me in a position where it was all or nothing. He over bet the turn, betting 10,000. I was surprised that he did that with Q-Q. He is a very aggressive, almost wild type of player so I thought he may be trying to represent AA or QQ but actually had a hand like AK. If I re-raised him before the flop, I don't think he was getting away from the hand anyway.
part of being wild, is showing the same tendancies with a monster, correct?I don't know why there are so many players who critisize every play you make Daniel, I think most of us would have played it near the same.
All this second guessing is excellent discussion and just goes to show how different everyone plays and how situational this game can be.Daniel did what he thought was right at the time and that's that. The guy had godzilla and it bit Daniels head off. But I don't hate his play at all. Sucks that it went badly.....it happens. Daniel is sooooo far above us, with more knowledge/experience than most of us will EVER hope to have someday. And ya gotta know how bad he wants to win. I'm just wondering how long it's gonna take before some numb skull posts another stupid "DANIELS LOST HIS MOJO" thread? lmao....Get 'em next time D! :club:
All this guy had to do was make the giant out of proportion bet on the turn to trick DN into calling. I mean it's that simple and easy.

It's a tough spot to be in. The way DN played the hand, the guy HAD to know that he actually had a hand. Since DN could've easily had QQ here, and his opponent was still going nuts, then doesn't Daniel have to be worried?I know that it's hard to get away from the hand, and the guy's action definitely said "big hand" so I really don't think that DN was beating any hands.That being said, I wasn't at the table and I'm sure there were more factors to consider. It just seems from the betting pattern that the guy probably had AA. I would've been surprised to see QQ too in that spot, but he was definitely playing like AA.

lets wait for dn to talk about the hand himself? he'll probably confess that he messed the hand up though.
He already did reply on the first page of this thread. He thought the other guy was just making a move with AK.
You left some on your chin...
Daniel Negreanu EliminatedThe player in seat one limps from under the gun, Melissa Hayden raises to $300 and Daniel Negreanu calls. Seat one then reraises to $1,700, Hayden mucks and Negreanu calls. The flop comes Q-6-6, seat one bets $2,500 and Negreanu calls. The turn is the 6x, seat one fires $10,000 and Negreanu pushes all in. Seat one calls and shows queens full of sixes while Negreanu flips over pocket kings. The river is a brick and Negreanu is eliminated from the tournament.
Just when I'm having a good day, this has to go and happen. MOTHER ******!

Yah, I still don't know how DN could go broke that hand. Even a donk like me would sit back and think for a bit, realized that I could be beat by AA, QQ, quad 6's (very unlikely). I'd pick a better spot to put in 800 bb's.

Royal, I missread the hand...I still think I play it the same as he did PF, I just dont like anything that has to do with commiting 1/4 or more my stack when I have like 800 bb's...lol, especially if its to win 2k, which you can win with a standard raise and a cbet at the 200/400 level later in the day. Hell, I can even make an arguement for folding to the 1700 limp reraise or calling for set value and folding any non K flop. I'm close to as LAG as you can get, and even I played ultra tight the first 3 levels, like literally maybe 2 hands per level, so 6 hands in 4.5 hrs. There is no need to commit with KK be it PF or on the flop without a set or a huge draw, I dont mind smooth calling the flop bet at all, but I'm definately folding the turn...Daniel knows what the correct play is, if he reallyyy knows that shoving the river is a good play then I believe him, I have no reads on this QQ guy, however I doubt that even if he knows it was a mistake he wouldnt say so in a thread where a bunch of $100 mtt players are telling him what he did wrong.

Daniel knows what the correct play is, if he reallyyy knows that shoving the river is a good play then I believe him, I have no reads on this QQ guy, however I doubt that even if he knows it was a mistake he wouldnt say so in a thread where a bunch of $100 mtt players are telling him what he did wrong.
I concur.
I wasn't really "getting cute." The blinds were only 25-25 and I didn't think going all in pre-flop was such a good idea. I was planning on losing the smallest pot possible, but my opponent made a very large turn bet that put me in a position where it was all or nothing. He over bet the turn, betting 10,000. I was surprised that he did that with Q-Q. He is a very aggressive, almost wild type of player so I thought he may be trying to represent AA or QQ but actually had a hand like AK. If I re-raised him before the flop, I don't think he was getting away from the hand anyway.
Maybe he saw your "that's not poker" comment and subsequent thoughts and figured an overbet would trigger you. Hell, we have no lives so who knows when these nuggets will channel through us onto the table. I can see how you, with your reading skills, can make a play like this though. You put him on a hand and went with it. We've all been there right? Sucks it was in Canada. I was looking forward to a Maple Leaf Duke Em Out at the final table.Any chance you'll buy the Blues and turn them into a good team soon?
You left some on your chin...
ummmmmm.....nope. Pretty sure I got it all!Monday morning quarterbacking him is fun, but commonn! :club:
Daniel knows what the correct play is, if he reallyyy knows that shoving the river is a good play then I believe him, I have no reads on this QQ guy, however I doubt that even if he knows it was a mistake he wouldnt say so in a thread where a bunch of $100 mtt players are telling him what he did wrong.
Exactly.....
another factor to consider...how many people would put in their entire stack on a bluff in the first level? (AK would be doing that)So we attribute a real hand then...JJ?...NO....AQ (most likely for a maniac goofball donk) yes....AA..hell yes...QQ...absolutely....a 6? not likely he has one..but yeah...This looks like a wishful thinking hand. (AQ is the only hand he can beat that the villain can realistically have)
There were other extremely important factors that lead me to play the hand through that I'll go into detail on in a blog or future column. 1. Bet Size on the turn (totally bizarre with his hand)2. Player Tendencies (very strange player)3. Player was on a high as he is second in chips in the Canadian Open4. May have not made the proper adjustment to early stage poker All and all, I still think I should have laid it down on the turn. I was hoping he had a hand like 88 or AK. The problem with the hand also was that he couldn't have put me on AA or KK based on the way I played the hand.
All this guy had to do was make the giant out of proportion bet on the turn to trick DN into calling. I mean it's that simple and easy.
A little more to it than that genius, lol.
There were other extremely important factors that lead me to play the hand through that I'll go into detail on in a blog or future column. 1. Bet Size on the turn (totally bizarre with his hand)2. Player Tendencies (very strange player)3. Player was on a high as he is second in chips in the Canadian Open4. May have not made the proper adjustment to early stage poker All and all, I still think I should have laid it down on the turn. I was hoping he had a hand like 88 or AK. The problem with the hand also was that he couldn't have put me on AA or KK based on the way I played the hand. A little more to it than that genius, lol.
Don't you find it that when people making gigantic overbets in the first level you have to give them the benifit of the doubt for playing AA scared until proven otherwise? Personally there's nothing that drives me crazier than ridiculous overbets or tiny bets into massive pots, like 4k into 25k...I see that a lot more now playing live than online because the size of the pot is very often overlooked in live play it seems....I never know what to put people on as they bet 5k into 1k on a 3J4 board so I just fold if I dont have the nuts or 2nd nuts...