So here is the deal, there was a fire alarm in my building, and i was playing at a $50 NL table and brought it up to $91. I come back, and there are a few new players at the table, so I have no reads.Since this happened on Bodog, ill just type it out. (blinds .25/.50)UTG (stack $86) raises to $3Me, UTG + 1, call with 22all fold to BB, with stack of $50 callsFlop is A82BB checks, UTG bets $15, i smooth call after 10 seconds, BB then reraises all in (and says something to the extent of if "he" has 88, so be it)UTG then min raises (leaving himself like $3)What is my move and why?

You called for set value, so no point in folding here, considering you're going to be far ahead the majority of the time.

I don't see how we can possibly be ahead of anything after this type of action. I muck my bottom set like it's top pair, weak kicker.

call or push, just get all the chips in the pot.Naismith is a much better player than me, but I have seen this with A8, AK, 82 and flush draw. Check out october goals and you will see a hand like this where one of the villains had 8 high with no draw.

I don't see how we can possibly be ahead of anything after this type of action. I muck my bottom set like it's top pair, weak kicker.
If you're gonna call a 6BB raise preflop with a small pair looking to hit a set, then why are you folding once you hit the set?The BB could have anything like AJ, AQ, A8, etc. With UTG betting 15$ (1.5 times the pot) I'm not worried about him having a set.Get your chips in the pot or fold the hand preflop. The action here doesn't mean that you're beaten. I don't think it matters anyway, you hit your set. If someone hit a bigger one, then you're gonna go broke in the hand. That's why you have a bankroll.

Is the flop flush-drawn?Even if one of them has a pair and nut draw, we're about 3:1 against them. You're way ahead of everything but an overset. If this is Full Tilt 100max I might find the fold button, but noting the level of play at Bodog at any stakes, I call.Also, you can much more often raise and get paid off with bottom set than another kind, particular if it's 333 or 222. I would've raised the villain despite the overbet.

alright, so i went all in (it was $3 more for the original raiser)BB had AK, UTG Had AJ of clubs, turn was the three of clubs giving him a flush draw but the river was a blank and i took down a $210 potI was just shocked and thought i would definetely be up against AA or 88, but lesson learned.They didnt even have 2 pair!Thanks for all the advice

I apologize to everyone. I'm trying out a new thing where I respond to all, "So I flopped a set and someone raised me" posts with, "Fold, there is nothing you can beat". So far, I am 1 for 2. Last guy was facing middle set.Here's my default response to all set questions:"Push all in. You are most likely ahead and if you're behind, you most likely have outs."In any case, it's been fun saying to fold sets since I normally suggest calling with any piece on any board against any player.

"Push all in. You are most likely ahead and if you're behind, you most likely have outs."
If you say that with bottom set on a A82 rainbow board, if you're behind, you're not drawing out.It's good to try and be different anyway.
If you say that with bottom set on a A82 rainbow board, if you're behind, you're not drawing out.It's good to try and be different anyway.
Of course, if you're behind on an A82 rainbow flop, you're screwed, but you're not getting away from it anyway. In any case, that's my generic advice for sets and it's pretty much how I play them. If I'm behind on an A82 flop with 22, kudos to the other person.
Of course, if you're behind on an A82 rainbow flop, you're screwed, but you're not getting away from it anyway. In any case, that's my generic advice for sets and it's pretty much how I play them. If I'm behind on an A82 flop with 22, kudos to the other person.
LOL I was wondering what the hell you were talking about. Had me thinking about this all day.
LOL I was wondering what the hell you were talking about. Had me thinking about this all day.
I have a theory that if you told everyone who posts a hand about a set on here to fold and you used strictly results-based evidence to support one way or the other, you'd be right more often than not. Folding sets +EV!

If they really had a set of aces or eights at this level would they really play them so aggressively on a board with no real draws? The odds fo set over set are so slim you can never really throw your bottom set away on that board, just go with it.

blah blah blah...I was just shocked and thought i would definetely be up against AA or 88, but lesson learned.They didnt even have 2 pair!Thanks for all the advice
Yeah, the lesson is players at .50 NL tables will give you all their money withtop pair - especially if it is an ace.But shhh; DONT TELL ANYONE ELSE OUR LITTLE SECRETIn all seriousness... APS & COW200$+PW2-2 :club: