• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barack is an extremely eloquent speaker, very likeable, and seemingly very well liked by many... on both sides of the aisle. He was in Phoenix this evening promoting his book and greeted by a rock star like reception. I agree there is plenty of hype and excitment, but folks need to settle down and begin to peel the layers on this guy to make sure he is the real deal before blindly corronating him as their new leader. He may indeed have the stuff but a good, long, calm look wouldn't hurt to define who and what he is all about.That said, he is brand new and still too green for a 2008 run. He needs seasoning and more trials by Congressional fire before he'll truly have what it would take to make a serious run. Too many un answered questions yet imo.And dont think for a minute that Hillary is not going to be the Dem 08 Candidate.That will not likely change unless SHE decides differently. :club:

I guess my biggest question in on his leadership ability..not his ability to inspire necessarily, but his ability to make sound decisions at the right time. I would take a president with whom I didn't always agree with if in fact he didn't screw it up.Which is kinda the opposite of what we have now.

Form August 16th.Obama Preaches Fuel Efficiency From the Back Seat of an SUVAt his Town Hall meetings yesterday, Sen. Barack (the-sky-is-falling) Obama lectured everyone at the Metropolis Community Center about gas guzzling.Ignoring the fact that it's August, and generally warm in Illinois, BO (Barack Obama) claimed that "the blame for the world's higher temperature rests on gas guzzling vehicles". His solution: switch to "higher mileage hybrids". Problem is, following his lecture, BO left in his GMC Envoy after "admitting to favoring SUV's".BO's press secretary Tommy Vietor tried to cover up the junior senator's hypocrisy by explaining that what BO "has long advocated is the use of vehicles that are more fuel efficient, including, but not exclusively hybrids." According to Vietor, "the vehicle BO travels in while in Illinois is a Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV), which can (but I guess doesn't) run on e85, a blended fuel made of 85 percent ethanol."However, according to the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition (see here), the GMC's Envoy is not e85 ready.TV coverge

His autobiography is terrific. The guy is the real deal. He's very centrist politically, and has a reputation for being able to work well with members from both sides of the aisle. I think he'd be a terrific president, and there's no better time than now. Not sure Maw and Paw in the middle of Kansas will be able to handle having a non-White president named Barack, but I sure hope we find out. I encourage all of you to browse the many, many articles that discuss his policy positions. hblask, other libertarian types - you'll like this: Obama joined with Senators Coburn (R-OK), Carper (D-DE), and McCain (R-AZ) in sponsoring the "Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act", S. 2590, to provide citizens with a website, managed by the Office of Management and Budget, listing all organizations receiving Federal funds from 2007 onward, and providing breakdowns by the agency allocating the funds, the dollar amount given, and the purpose of the grant or contract. President George W. Bush signed the bill, also referred to as the "Coburn-Obama Transparency Act", into law on September 26, 2006.

nonsense
try not to hate him just because he has a (D) next to his name. you'd probably really like him if you looked a little deeper.
try not to hate him just because he has a (D) next to his name. you'd probably really like him if you looked a little deeper.
Never said I hated him, just pointing out that he is a hypocrite like all other politicians.
hblask, other libertarian types - you'll like this: Obama joined with Senators Coburn (R-OK), Carper (D-DE), and McCain (R-AZ) in sponsoring the "Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act", S. 2590, to provide citizens with a website, managed by the Office of Management and Budget, listing all organizations receiving Federal funds from 2007 onward, and providing breakdowns by the agency allocating the funds, the dollar amount given, and the purpose of the grant or contract. President George W. Bush signed the bill, also referred to as the "Coburn-Obama Transparency Act", into law on September 26, 2006.
This would be huge if he could get it passed. At least for a few years. The FOIA provided similar transparency for a few years, but each administration has been chipping away at the openess. But yeah, this is a great start. People who are willing to say "look what I'm doing" will always get my vote over people who say "I'm doing what you want, trust me on that."
Form August 16th.Obama Preaches Fuel Efficiency From the Back Seat of an SUVAt his Town Hall meetings yesterday, Sen. Barack (the-sky-is-falling) Obama lectured everyone at the Metropolis Community Center about gas guzzling.Ignoring the fact that it's August, and generally warm in Illinois, BO (Barack Obama) claimed that "the blame for the world's higher temperature rests on gas guzzling vehicles". His solution: switch to "higher mileage hybrids". Problem is, following his lecture, BO left in his GMC Envoy after "admitting to favoring SUV's".BO's press secretary Tommy Vietor tried to cover up the junior senator's hypocrisy by explaining that what BO "has long advocated is the use of vehicles that are more fuel efficient, including, but not exclusively hybrids." According to Vietor, "the vehicle BO travels in while in Illinois is a Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV), which can (but I guess doesn't) run on e85, a blended fuel made of 85 percent ethanol."However, according to the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition (see here), the GMC's Envoy is not e85 ready.TV coverge
1) "Global warming" is not accepted science in the first place, it's just a good soundbite, and easier to explain than the full complexity of the issue.2) To the extent that the earth has been warming, it doesn't correlate well with human production of greenhouse gases. So basically, the jury is still out on *if* it's happening, and if it is, why. A hundred years of records means little in the geological record. But let's assume it is eventually confirmed to be a fact and proven to be caused by human activities. Then:3) I love the hypocrisy of politicians who know what's best for those other people (themselves exempted)4) Ethanol requires more energy to produce than it provides, so trying to cover up using the ethanol defense is silly, since that would lead to *more* greenhouse gases.All-in-all, another bad sign for OB. Score so far: a few plusses, a few minuses.
Never said I hated him, just pointing out that he is a hypocrite like all other politicians.
This is just like Sean Hannity saying it's hypocritical for politicians who prefer to limit emissions to also fly in personal jets...you need something so you use what's out there. Do you think a prominent black politician should travel in a little Ford Escape Hybrid? Let's put Bush in one of those and see how long it takes for some loonie to take a pot shot at it.
Do you think a prominent black politician should travel in a little Ford Escape Hybrid?
He should not preach that people should make sacrifices that he is not willing to make himself.
He should not preach that people should make sacrifices that he is not willing to make himself.
Is his situation the same as everyone else's? If it is, you've got me. I would argue it is not. If there was a hybrid SUV out there that could offer the same protection as what he's using right now, you've got me.
Is his situation the same as everyone else's? If it is, you've got me. I would argue it is not. If there was a hybrid SUV out there that could offer the same protection as what he's using right now, you've got me.
There is a hybrid SUV out there, Honda makes it, and I think there are others. But that is not the point.Americans are sick of politicians who think they are above everyone else. This "we're a special case" mentality is why people hate politicians. Guess what, you are not a special case. I probably have a couple dozen reasons why I need an SUV more than OB, such as living in snow country on an dirt road that doesn't get plowed for a couple days after a storm. Each person has a reason why they are a special case. Just because you are a politician, (and maybe *especially* because you are a politician), your reasons are not any more valid than anybody else's. Either practice what you preach or don't judge others.
There is a hybrid SUV out there, Honda makes it, and I think there are others. But that is not the point.Americans are sick of politicians who think they are above everyone else. This "we're a special case" mentality is why people hate politicians. Guess what, you are not a special case. I probably have a couple dozen reasons why I need an SUV more than OB, such as living in snow country on an dirt road that doesn't get plowed for a couple days after a storm. Each person has a reason why they are a special case. Just because you are a politician, (and maybe *especially* because you are a politician), your reasons are not any more valid than anybody else's. Either practice what you preach or don't judge others.
Nah, I'm talking about an Envoy-or-bigger sized SUV. Do we know if the Envoy is special (bullet-proof, for instance? Laser beams, fricken tires with laser beams on their treads?)Americans are sick of politicians in general. I don't see how a broad call for more environmentally-friendly actions means A)he thinks everyone should go buy a Hybrid right now or B) he should drive a car that can protect him. He also didn't proclaim "AND NO EXCEPTIONS, PERIOD!" If he did, I would see why you have an argument. I know that every American could benefit from the safety of driving an SUV on the road (although they would be less safe if everyone drove them), but the potential for being shot at is a lot more high for him. Period. Now, the Democratic representative from New Orleans that commandeered national guard vehicles to go rescue his stuff from his house after Katrina...that was an abuse.And, I understand that it would be better if he drove a Hybrid, and he should be the first in line to get a really sturdy, bulletproofable hybrid should someone make one or be willing to.
...but folks need to settle down and begin to peel the layers on this guy to make sure he is the real deal before blindly corronating him as their new leader. ... :club:
So Obama is like an onion?Ogres are like onionsso Obama is an ogre?
Now, the Democratic representative from New Orleans that commandeered national guard vehicles to go rescue his stuff from his house after Katrina...that was an abuse. Dude he had $90K in his refridgerator, that needs protection!And, I understand that it would be better if he drove a Hybrid, and he should be the first in line to get a really sturdy, bulletproofable hybrid should someone make one or be willing to.
Arnold drives a hybrid hummer.Got to agree with Donk about politicians not necessarily being hypocritical about getting perks though. There was alot of slams on Clinton and Algore for sending their kids to private school, but not supporting vouchers. Their kids needed protection that most kids don't, I'm all for them getting it. To try to use their saftey concerns as a "they think they're better than us" isn't really fair. Clinton NEEDED Airforce One to get his $3K haircut. ( sorry, can't help myself)Not quite like my buddy Buchanan who said: "Buy American" then drove off in his Mercedes. :club: But the whole hybrid fuel car was debunked in consumer reports article that showed thatA. milege is worse when using blended fuels.B. There are not enough gas stations supplying blended fuelsC. There is not enough farm land in the USA to grow enough corn/? to supply us with enough blended fuels for our current rate of consumptionD. some other good pointE. Hybrid cars cost more and you won't recoup with fuel savings.So when ANY politician talks about hybrids and electric cars being our pollution saviors, they are pandering and misleading Hollywood airheads into thinking that buying a hybrid makes them responsible. I saw Cameron Diaz drive off from the William Morris agency in her 2 year old Mercedes 1 year after telling everyone how she owns and drives a Prius cause she cares for the planet.
So Obama is like an onion?Ogres are like onionsso Obama is an ogre?
:club: Spun like a seasoned Politician! The higher Barack sticks his head the more shots folks will take at him. There are some interesting/questionable things coming out about him now that are starting to cool the love affair. More will certainly come as he gains popularity. He IS a politician afterall.Yesterdays visit was warm and energetic, but alas before long he morphed into spewing classic, boring DNC playbook venom. Nothing original, no new alternatives, just more Bush attacks. Fine. Hate Bush...many GOP'rs are even getting tired. But offer some inovative solutions or risk becoming just another DNC puppet.
:D Yesterdays visit was warm and energetic, but alas before long he morphed into spewing classic, boring DOC playbook venom. Nothing original, no new alternatives, just more Bush attacks. Fine. Hate Bush...many GOP'rs are even getting tired. But offer some inovative solutions or risk becoming just another DOC puppet.
That's funny nutz..like the democrats HAVE any solutions.....classic.Oh man my sides are hurting. The Dems...have a plan... :club: They voted for it, before they voted against it
So when ANY politician talks about hybrids and electric cars being our pollution saviors, they are pandering and misleading Hollywood airheads into thinking that buying a hybrid makes them responsible.
Yeah, I wasn't really arguing for or against the policy or the speech, just that I didn't think it was a big deal about the SUV, considering the current avail. of actually useful cars.Of course, just because the current products aren't that great doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get good prdocuts that are great, riiiight? :club:
Americans are sick of politicians in general. I don't see how a broad call for more environmentally-friendly actions means A)he thinks everyone should go buy a Hybrid right now or B) he should drive a car that can protect him. He also didn't proclaim "AND NO EXCEPTIONS, PERIOD!" If he did, I would see why you have an argument. I know that every American could benefit from the safety of driving an SUV on the road (although they would be less safe if everyone drove them), but the potential for being shot at is a lot more high for him. Period.
Any car can be made bulletproof. Certainly it's not a factory option on the Envoy.The fact remains, though, that Americans have already made their choice on what to drive, factoring in all they know about mileage, pollution, cost, convenience, safety, etc, and have decided whether they are an exception or not. Politicians who have decided that they themselves are exceptions should not be lecturing others about whether those people's reasons are good enough.
Yeah, I wasn't really arguing for or against the policy or the speech, just that I didn't think it was a big deal about the SUV, considering the current avail. of actually useful cars.Of course, just because the current products aren't that great doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get good prdocuts that are great, riiiight? :D
My son was big on the hybrid thing, wanted me to co-sign so he could get rid of his car and get a hybrid etc.Then he came to me after reading the consumer reports article and said basically there is no future in these cars. None. They will never make even a small dent in the driving needs of this country.Better fuel efficiancy is 100% more important than alternative fuels right now. Toyota makes a car that get 45+ mpg, if America would make an effort, we could cut our fuel use in half just by making better cars.Won't happen while the economy is so stinking good though. America is doing so well that high fuel prices are just not enough to change people's desires to drive SUVs. Dang Bush for making this great economy! :club:
Then he came to me after reading the consumer reports article and said basically there is no future in these cars. None. They will never make even a small dent in the driving needs of this country.Better fuel efficiancy is 100% more important than alternative fuels right now. Toyota makes a car that get 45+ mpg, if America would make an effort, we could cut our fuel use in half just by making better cars.
I'm confused... the Toyota Prius that gets over 45mph *IS* a hybrid. A hybrid is a car that uses gasoline when necessary, but the rest of the time it is electric. This is the near-term future of fuel efficiency.There are fuels which are a mixture of fossil fuels and corn (the ethanol-based fuels). Those are a scam, and are harming the country.There are alternative power methods, such a fuel cells that use the hydrogen from water, but those are a long way from being practical.There are others, too, but there are still too many obstacles to switch. One of them will become predominant in the future, but nobody knows which one yet. Maybe one that hasn't been invented. Maybe Mr. Fusion on the back of the DeLorean.
I'm confused... the Toyota Prius that gets over 45mph *IS* a hybrid. A hybrid is a car that uses gasoline when necessary, but the rest of the time it is electric. This is the near-term future of fuel efficiency.There are fuels which are a mixture of fossil fuels and corn (the ethanol-based fuels). Those are a scam, and are harming the country.There are alternative power methods, such a fuel cells that use the hydrogen from water, but those are a long way from being practical.There are others, too, but there are still too many obstacles to switch. One of them will become predominant in the future, but nobody knows which one yet. Maybe one that hasn't been invented. Maybe Mr. Fusion on the back of the DeLorean.
Consumer reports disagrees, Prius may advertise 45, but it gets much much less.Problem with electric is the batteries, landfill wise and accident wise. May be worse for the environment there then any savings in emitions would be.Hydrogen would be my guess as the true 'savior' of fossil fuel combustion engines, but I agree with you we are a long way off.Nuclear powered cars would rock, I would get the hummer for sure then.
Consumer reports disagrees, Prius may advertise 45, but it gets much much less.Problem with electric is the batteries, landfill wise and accident wise. May be worse for the environment there then any savings in emitions would be.Hydrogen would be my guess as the true 'savior' of fossil fuel combustion engines, but I agree with you we are a long way off.Nuclear powered cars would rock, I would get the hummer for sure then.
:D A Nuclear Hummer!!!!!..."I'll be back!"... :club:
the 2003 honda civic hybrid advertises 48 on highway, i routinely get 51...HA
That's weird, the hybrid's strenth is city driving, not highway. You must drive the speed limit or some other craziness