Help For A 5/10 Pot Limit Holdem Game

I havent been invited to a game in about 8 months and my friends father is super rich, and i was telling him that i wanted to turn pro later on sometime in my life. He told me that he could get me into a game that he regularly plays in. 5/10 pot limit holdem. My questions are. How much should i buy in for? (there is no min or max) and how much should i bring with me? i was thinking around 300 but im not sure. Also, i was kind of curious to the big differences in no limit and pot limit besides the obvious all-in at any time. Should i bet differently than i would in a no limit game? Thanks for ur help.

Buy in for $100 or buy in for $10,000 depending on the variance you're willing to tolerate and how well you can play shortstack strategy vs how well you can play position and manipulate the pot size against these guys.You seem like a PLH rookie, so I'd buy in for $100-$150 and play tight and hope Sluggo comes to give you tips.because I'd mislead you.

Depends on what the others buy in for. I don't think I'd want to sit with less than $700-$800 if they all buy in for $1000+. But I play much lower live and always buy in for the max, or close to it.If I were playing in PLHE cash game that was out of my roll, (if that's what this game is to you) I'd play pretty cautious in early position and a little loose in the CO or button and look to stack a weak player who overplays his hands.If you do play short compared to the others, they're probably gonna try to run over you, especially if they're all super rich like your friends dad. I think I'd rather buy in for close to what they have (if you can) and just play your game. If your a halfway decent player you should be able to pick out the bad players and look to exploit them. Good luck and post how it went if you do play.

PLHE and NLHE are two totally different games. in NLHE being able to shove helps reduce your positional or skill disadvantage. PLHE is more about position IMO and true skill.i like actuary's advice. short buy (around $200) until you are comfortable with all the players and the game. wait until aces, kings, or queens, and pot, pot. once you have some play smooth call from the button and try to stack people off. goodluck

Don't go to an invitation-only home game and try to buy-in for 30 big blinds. That's just insulting. They're trying to play a big poker game and gamble it up a little bit, and they don't want to watch you nut-peddle a short stack. I'd say buy-in for a minimum of $1,000 and bring at least two buy-ins with you. If you're reasonably comfortable with the stakes, then you'd probably be better off bringing $6,000 or so along and just buying in for whatever the largest amount is that anyone else buys in for which will likely be in the $2,000 range.

Don't go to an invitation-only home game and try to buy-in for 30 big blinds. That's just insulting. They're trying to play a big poker game and gamble it up a little bit, and they don't want to watch you nut-peddle a short stack. I'd say buy-in for a minimum of $1,000 and bring at least two buy-ins with you. If you're reasonably comfortable with the stakes, then you'd probably be better off bringing $6,000 or so along and just buying in for whatever the largest amount is that anyone else buys in for which will likely be in the $2,000 range.
fine. let's just do what YOU want to do. :club: actually, you're probably right. but i've never done well in social situations. i don't have what they call "social awareness."
fine. let's just do what YOU want to do. :club: actually, you're probably right. but i've never done well in social situations. i don't have what they call "social awareness."
Yea don't buyin short, if they are really a bunch of rich guys gambling it up this will be noticed. I would buyin for 100 bets and have two more in your pocket.
greatyou're sending this guy in with $6,000 who does not understand the intricacies of PLH.bad idea. unless $6000 is worth the socializing
haven't you ever watched rounders? all rich guys wear sweaters and don't know poker.if our OP is a good NL player, he'll be a fine PL player, and probably much better than these guys. if you've got a decent-sized roll, take a few thousand and buy in for whatever they buy in for.

I said "if you're comfortable". After the flop, PLHE plays almost exactly like NLHE anyway. I can't imagine a good NL player would be so bewildered by the "intricacies" that he would be a losing player in a soft game. And if he really wants to practice up at PL a little bit, he's got eight months to do so. If OP doesn't have enough money to take $2,000 to the game even to take a shot, then he needs to just man up and tell his uncle that the game's too big for him at the moment, rather than just trying to get lucky with a short stack.

If OP doesn't have enough money to take $2,000 to the game even to take a shot, then he needs to just man up and tell his uncle that the game's too big for him at the moment, rather than just trying to get lucky with a short stack.
yup that way at least when he is ready he will have an invite.

This is not an insult but if you need to ask the question about how much to buy in for, maybe you shouldn't be playing the game. You'll probably need to make the decision when you get there. I always buy in for at least 75 big blinds.I don't claim to be a pot limit holdem expert but do play in a live pot limit game. If it's anything like the one I play in, you might want to bring a couple of reloads in case you get unlucky but still feel like there's loads of value. Good luck

I havent been invited to a game in about 8 months and my friends father is super rich, and i was telling him that i wanted to turn pro later on sometime in my life. He told me that he could get me into a game that he regularly plays in. 5/10 pot limit holdem. My questions are. How much should i buy in for? (there is no min or max) and how much should i bring with me? i was thinking around 300 but im not sure. Also, i was kind of curious to the big differences in no limit and pot limit besides the obvious all-in at any time. Should i bet differently than i would in a no limit game? Thanks for ur help.
From your limited description the game is likely to be very LAG.Therefore for the buy-in, be prepared to sit with at least 100 BB. You don't want to play much less as you'll likely be playing short-stack poker which can be a ***** at PL. Also take at least 3 buyins with you.The most significant strategy adjustments are to do with implied odds. Because preflop and flop bets are restricted and generally small with turn and river betting potentially becoming stack size, implied odds are huge, moreso than both NL & LimitThis devalues strong hands like big pairs somewhat and drastically increases the value of drawing hands like small and mid pairs along with connectors, suited or otherwise. You can and should play a lot of these, even against raises.Be prepared to have initial preflop raises essentially disregarded and be aware that single street bluffs are harder to push through. Also expect to see more plays like LRR & checkraising - designed to protect marginal hands (assuming your opponents know what they are doing)Heads up, it's almost impossible to shake off opponents with good draws on the flop, so you need to exercise good pot-size control to be able to apply pressure on the turn.Assuming the game is loose and fast as home games tend to be, stick with ABC poker and you'll be fine. Don't worry about playing tight as you'll be the newbie playing in their 'big-game' and expect you to be conservative. Re-enforce that early and use it to your advantage later