The Official University Of Nebraska Cornhuskers Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're such a huge baby when it comes to football, Suited. You guys are 8-1 before today and ranked 16th in the country. No one except the ex-GM of the San Diego Chargers would fire a coach in the middle or end of a season like that.

The reason we are upset, is Pelini was brought in for his defense, and his defense is awful. Nebraska has lost to a border line top 25 Wisconsin team by a combined 129-55 in the last two meetings. It's absolutely humiliating.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe Nebraska won. What's the worst about Pelini, is he'll lose awful games he shouldn't lose, and do enough to get fired, but then win JUST enough to save his job, year after year. We're stuck in this mediocrity another year, I think. I can't believe it.

he must be fired, there is no other acceptable course of action. watching ohio state is so depressing because they are such a well coached team and it is in such contrast to nebraska the last 7 years. pelini is not a ceo, he's a grunt who should be coaching a secondary at best. he owes glenn dorsey and ndamukong suh every penny he's ever earned.

Regarding Nebraska firing Bo Pelini today, I wholeheartedly support the decision. Frankly, I find it condescending to suggest Husker Nation should put up with a coach who didn't win one conference title in 7 years, given the tradition and resources they have. And I'm not even a Nebraska fan. Over the past 46 years Nebraska only lost more than 3 games in a season 12 times, and half of those happened on Pelini's watch.

What Nebraska needs in its next coach is a "hook." I've always believed the biggest mistake the Huskers made wasn't just firing Frank Solich after going 10-3, but they abandoned the option offense that was their identity as well. When you're not a major population center, you need a hook to recruit. Nebraska got players like Tommie Frazier to Lincoln because at Nebraska he could be a star quarterback, but if he stayed home in Florida he was going to be a safety. I really believe Nebraska should go back to that offense. It's easier to recruit to, and it creates preparation problems for teams that won't see it all season long.

To that end, my #1 candidate for the Huskers is Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. He's won big in the ACC with this offense, and is on his way to his 3rd appearance in the ACC Championship Game this weekend. In Tommy Armstrong the Huskers have an ideal quarterback to run this system. They could win with it next year. Johnson won 19 games his first two seasons at Georgia Tech, the best two-year record in Atlanta since Bobby Ross won the national title there in 1990, because it's a tough system to adjust to.

If not Johnson, if I were the Huskers I would hire Scott Frost. He's a celebrated former player that unites the fan/alumni base like Fred Hoiberg did for Cyclone basketball. But he has a lot more coaching experience than Hoiberg had, and he's been the offensive coordinator for Oregon the past two seasons, so that gives him cache with recruits.

I loved Johnson when Pelini got hired, I really wanted him. But now, I'm full board on with Frost. He wasn't just OC this year, he was Chip Kelly's right hand man, when Kelly was still there. He has played under two of the greatest non-traditional offensive minds in college football history. He has the pedigree, he has the connection with the program, he could be a husker "lifer" if he does well. I love the hire, if they do that.

And I completely agree about the hook. Nebraska can't compete with top tier schools for 5 star recruits, and just run pro-style systems. You have to do more, will less. You have to have some sort of novel offensive system, that will attract top flight talent, for that system.

lot of talk on the nebraska rivals site about jim tressel, with frost as OC/Associate Head Coach (implying they will pay him over 1 million per year to get him to agree to be head coach in waiting).

obviously this excites me, but i don't want to get my hopes up.