The Official University Of Nebraska Cornhuskers Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you guys should still feel fortunate. At least with this loss, you might have the opportunity to fire your coach and bring in someone else. As much as I respect Kirk Ferentz and appreciate his tenure at Iowa, he makes way too much money to continue to put out mediocre teams year after year. That's the difference. You guys go 8-4 and wanna fire your coach. We go 8-4 and are celebrating because we have overachieved.

It's not even so much about the record for me. I understand that nebraska fans need to readjust their expectations. I want him fired because he's an unprofessional clown and I think he represents the university poorly.

It's not even so much about the record for me. I understand that nebraska fans need to readjust their expectations. I want him fired because he's an unprofessional clown and I think he represents the university poorly.

How would you handicap the odds Little Bo P comes back?

How would you handicap the odds Little Bo P comes back?

Gosh, that's hard to say objectively, since I want him fired so badly.

Case for keeping him:

A very good (if not spectacular) record over his tenure. If he wins his bowl game, he'll never had less than 9 wins in a season.

Expensive to fire him, as he's on contract through 2017 (or 18, I've heard both)

Has been a good (if not spectacular) recruiter.

No great alternative to him to hire, to make it worth paying him the buy out

Case Against him:

Zero Conference titles

Many very bad losses

Very easily could have been a 5 or 6 win team this year, if they didn't get really, really lucky

Doesn't make good decisions in hiring coaching staff

Is a tilt monkey hot head who's disposition is more suited to position coach or coordinator than a head coach ( my biggest issue)

My biggest issue (other than his tilt based decision making, is more a general philosophical issue. I think Nebraska is a place that is very difficult to recruit to. IT's hard to get top tier negro recruits from florida, texas and california to come move to Butt**** Nowhere, Nebraska where blacks are a vast minority. We realistically can't expect to recruit top 10 classes, and we have to do more with less. Which is fine, TO never had a top ten recruiting class as far as I know. What you DO need, is an innovative, atypical offense coached by a brilliant offensive mind. The I-formation triple option, while not sexy, was very complex. TO helped invent zone blocking. He never had an offensive Coordinator and called all his own plays. You need someone like that at Nebraska. You need a visionary offensive mind, and one that isn't doing what most other schools are, so other schools won't be prepared for what you're doing. That's why I want Frost so badly, is I want someone who runs a dynamic offensive system.

Gosh, that's hard to say objectively, since I want him fired so badly.

Case for keeping him:

A very good (if not spectacular) record over his tenure. If he wins his bowl game, he'll never had less than 9 wins in a season.

Expensive to fire him, as he's on contract through 2017 (or 18, I've heard both)

Has been a good (if not spectacular) recruiter.

No great alternative to him to hire, to make it worth paying him the buy out

Case Against him:

Zero Conference titles

Many very bad losses

Very easily could have been a 5 or 6 win team this year, if they didn't get really, really lucky

Doesn't make good decisions in hiring coaching staff

Is a tilt monkey hot head who's disposition is more suited to position coach or coordinator than a head coach ( my biggest issue)

My biggest issue (other than his tilt based decision making, is more a general philosophical issue. I think Nebraska is a place that is very difficult to recruit to. IT's hard to get top tier negro recruits from florida, texas and california to come move to Butt**** Nowhere, Nebraska where blacks are a vast minority. We realistically can't expect to recruit top 10 classes, and we have to do more with less. Which is fine, TO never had a top ten recruiting class as far as I know. What you DO need, is an innovative, atypical offense coached by a brilliant offensive mind. The I-formation triple option, while not sexy, was very complex. TO helped invent zone blocking. He never had an offensive Coordinator and called all his own plays. You need someone like that at Nebraska. You need a visionary offensive mind, and one that isn't doing what most other schools are, so other schools won't be prepared for what you're doing. That's why I want Frost so badly, is I want someone who runs a dynamic offensive system.

That's why the steroids thing was so brilliant, and totally perfect for Nebraska. "No top flight super athletes want to come play in Lincoln? Fuck you, we'll feed our horses steroids and make them spend 4 hours a day during the offseason in the weight room and then WE'LL RUN IT DOWN YOUR THROATS!"

I grew up a Michigan fan, so I was always accustomed to that kind of entitled, top-25-recruiting-class-every-year attitude. Going to MSU changed my perspective drastically. It's just so hard to win in major college sports unless you have some kind of sustainable, significant edge. MSU had that way back in the day, when they were like "**** it, let's just recruit all the best negroes from all over," which gave them some national cachet that they can still trade on. Nebraska had it with the veer/power-option, Tom Osborne, and the steroids/weight training. For both schools, those advantages have disappeared, and each school is going to have to innovate or get very, very lucky to contend nationally.

At least MSU is better than UM right now, so it doesn't hurt too bad to have traded down.

That's funny, because I totally agree with this exact statement, but I never in a million years thought that that was where you were coming from. I thought it was always about the record for Nebraska fans.

We're better friends now, BigD.

That's funny, because I totally agree with this exact statement, but I never in a million years thought that that was where you were coming from. I thought it was always about the record for Nebraska fans.

We're better friends now, BigD.

Well it is about wins too tho, and the way we are losing. , don't think that Pelini will either attract top flight talent, nor be able to make the decisions required on game day rationally when he's on mega tilt all the time. I think it's a huge detriment. I think a coach recruiting against us can just play a tape of Pelini swinging his hat at the ref and ask a kid " do you want to play for that maniac?" I think his demeanor is fine ( though not optimal) For a position coach or w/e, but for a Head coach, who has to make rational game time decisions, I think it's awful. I think that Fake punt was a classic tilt play call and I don't want a tilt master head coach, period.