The Official University Of Nebraska Cornhuskers Thread

What's the general feeling about Pelini, and why?

As far as his comments go, if I heard that from Brady Hoke or John Beilein, I wouldn't care at all. I say stuff like that about work associates, bosses, friends, etc. all the time when I'm fired up. If you're a D1 coach and you're NOT frustrated by your fanbase from time to time, something is probably seriously wrong with you.

yeah, I dont' care, at all, about his comments, but I am in the minority. Lincoln takes GREAT pride in the idea that they are the "best fans in college football" They (claim) that they never leave early, they applaud for great performances by other team, are kind and polite to opposing fans. There is a whole big thing in lincoln, where they don't just take pride in the team, but pride in themselves, and what great supports of the team they are, it's twisted.

So, I think this will turn a whole lot of people who are on the fence about Pelini against him. It will give the new AD reason to Axe him.

And, while I don't think it's fair, over comments that I could see myself very well making in Pelini's spot, I do think his performance warrants him being canned. Not just the performance of the team, which can not compete defensively with the top tier of college teams anymore. Nebraska's offense is un-inspired. I think that, if you going to be a place like Lincoln, which is not attractive to the most talented of players, you need to have a significant Schematic advantage on offense. And lots of steroids. This was TO's formula, at least. It wasn't exciting, to many, but TO's option attack was complex, not just by the quarterback, but he basically invented zone blocking. You need that kind of offensive mind, who will bring someting teams haven't seen before, to make up for the fact that Nebraska is not a populous state with great local talent pool, and Lincoln is not an attractive place for many players from Texas and the coasts to come play. We have to do more with less.

And honestly, I wouldn't mind if Pelini was the defensive guru that he was promised, and we had a significant advantage on that side of the ball. But, since Suh left, we've been miserable against talented teams.

I also think Pelini has an unprofessional demeanor on the sidelines. I Think that kind of thing is fine, if you're a position caoch and trying to fire your guys up. It can be worked with, if your a DC or OC and you have other significant coaching talents to make up for it. But, when you're the head coach, and your whole job is to make the most rational decisions based on limited information in a short amount of time, being an out of control lunatic gives up something significant to a stoic coach who can control his emotions like TO.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I dont' care, at all, about his comments, but I am in the minority. Lincoln takes GREAT pride in the idea that they are the "best fans in college football" They (claim) that they never leave early, they applaud for great performances by other team, are kind and polite to opposing fans. There is a whole big thing in lincoln, where they don't just take pride in the team, but pride in themselves, and what great supports of the team they are, it's twisted.

So, I think this will turn a whole lot of people who are on the fence about Pelini against him. It will give the new AD reason to Axe him.

And, while I don't think it's fair, over comments that I could see myself very well making in Pelini's spot, I do think his performance warrants him being canned. Not just the performance of the team, which can not compete defensively with the top tier of college teams anymore. Nebraska's offense is un-inspired. I think that, if you going to be a place like Lincoln, which is not attractive to the most talented of players, you need to have a significant Schematic advantage on offense. And lots of steroids. This was TO's formula, at least. It wasn't exciting, to many, but TO's option attack was complex, not just by the quarterback, but he basically invented zone blocking. You need that kind of offensive mind, who will bring someting teams haven't seen before, to make up for the fact that Nebraska is not a populous state with great local talent pool, and Lincoln is not an attractive place for many players from Texas and the coasts to come play. We have to do more with less.

And honestly, I wouldn't mind if Pelini was the defensive guru that he was promised, and we had a significant advantage on that side of the ball. But, since Suh left, we've been miserable against talented teams.

I also think Pelini has an unprofessional demeanor on the sidelines. I Think that kind of thing is fine, if you're a position caoch and trying to fire your guys up. It can be worked with, if your a DC or OC and you have other significant coaching talents to make up for it. But, when you're the head coach, and your whole job is to make the most rational decisions based on limited information in a short amount of time, being an out of control lunatic gives up something significant to a stoic coach who can control his emotions like TO.

Before I respond, another question: how did you feel about the move to the Big10?

All of that seems perfectly reasonable and rational. That's about what I would have guessed. Nebraska has a ton of institutional disadvantages it needs to overcome to remain nationally relevant. You had Osborne, steroids (as well as one of the first and most sophisticated weight training regimens in the country), and the option in the 80s and 90s, and now you have... Little Bo P, who loses 4 games a year every year.

Nebraska is one of those schools that is really in a tough spot. More than any other national power I can think of, Nebraska has to rely on its tradition, which makes performance blips really devastating.

I think they need to hire a coach who will bring back the triple option. Reestablish the identity of the program. Be known for something. Get kids who fit that. There's enough talent out there to get a good defense back. It can be done, but it starts by firing Pelini today and moving forward.

Before I respond, another question: how did you feel about the move to the Big10?

Well, I loved it, but I'm not a typical Nebraska fan either. I'm an alum of another Big 10 School pre-nebraska joining, Northwestern. Now, Northwestern is strange as it's an academic school in an athletic confrence ( though the Big Ten is fine in academics too). So 1) there were a lot of nerds there, who didn't care about sports at all 2) Of the people who do care about sports, almost zero of us were Northwestern fans before coming to school there. So we all were fans of our teams back home, and since Northwestern draws it's student body primarily from the upper middle west, I went to school with many kids who were fans of other big 10 teams also. And christ they were obnoxious. And they all HATED Nebraska, and often made fun of me for being from there ( rightly so). And so, I grew a deep hatred of the big 10 in general. And while I root for Northwestern ( not as much as Nebraska), I REALLY hate the rest of teh schools, and always wish them ill, and have zero conference pride, like SEC fans have... and so when Nebraska joined the big 10, I already hated Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Illinois, Iowa, and Penn State, so I was super excited to join the Big 10, on a Personal level ( though Northwestern-Nebraska games are awkward)

So, beyond my personal biases, I think it was a great and natural move for Nebraska. I hated the Big 12, from the moment it was created. It destroyed Nebraska's only real rivalry game, the post thanksgiving Friday Game verses Oklahoma. Nebraska no longer played OU every year, and the best rivalry of my youth dissipated. The Texas schools dominated the conference from a power and decision making standpoint, and I don't think it made sense culturally. Nebraskans ( at least, eastern nebraskans) are much more midwestern than they are southern/southwestern/texan. So, I think Nebraska is a great fit in the Big 10, in terms of tradition, student body, culture, what ever. I think Iowa is a rivalry Nebraska should have cultivated before they joined the Big 10, and I think it can become a really fun one.

Further, I think the writing was on the wall about the big 12. Teams were already jumping ship, and at the time it looked like Texas was jumping ship, which would have destroyed the conference ( instead, they leveraged mizzu's and Nebraska's absence into making ridiculously good deal for themselves money sharing wise) I think eventually the BCS is going to be a 4 conference league, 16 teams each, Pac Ten, SEC, ACC and Big Ten. If Nebraska didn't join the Big Ten (or I guess the Pac 10) they would have been left out in the cold, and I think the Big 10 was by far the best fit.

I will say, that Nebraska is by far the worst academic school in the Big Ten, so perhaps is a real crass move by the Big 10 in taking Nebraska.. Nebraska's academics are more akin to SEC schools than Big 10 Schools. However, just being in the Big 10 will improve it, and UNL has already received a ton of research funding, and are massively expanding their facilities as money has been poring in, so it's been great for the school in that way.

I would love to see KU Hoop in the Big10. They can hang out and play football against Indiana. Whatever. Not sure how much money they're worth, though. They don't really help the Big 10 enter any new TV markets apart from metro KC, which isn't that big.

I know some folks who were pretty stoked about 2008 KU basketball. CHALMERS4LYFE

• Like 1

I spent a summer in high school at Northwestern for a journalism program at Medill. I can totally imagine those d-bags making fun of your for being from Nebraska.

I really liked NW but Evanston was so lame that I never really considered it for undergrad.

On topic: moving to the big 10 was a great move in all facets for Nebraska.

• Like 1

yeah i was pretty stoked about it, i'm sure you remember though.

the big ten should take KU basketball for the same reason they should have tried to get OU football - they're an iconic brand and success is more important than new tv markets.

I spent a summer in high school at Northwestern for a journalism program at Medill. I can totally imagine those d-bags making fun of your for being from Nebraska.

I really liked NW but Evanston was so lame that I never really considered it for undergrad.

On topic: moving to the big 10 was a great move in all facets for Nebraska.

I wish I'd spent a summer in Evanston so I'd have known that before I signed up for NU. I loved NU too, but Evanston is the worst college town I've ever been to. Like 2 bars, 1 liquor store in a town of 80K. The town is actively hostile towards the school, because most of the residents by the lake are quite wealthy and don't give a **** about the college, don't need it for a tax base. Then, across the tracks, it's basically lower middle class blacks, who don't give any kind of **** about the college either.

The plus side is, chicago is right there, an El Train ride away, so I liked that, but the town and the weather was so miserable, that I really do wish I would have gone someplace warm, like Miami.

• Like 1

the big ten should take KU basketball for the same reason they should have tried to get OU football - they're an iconic brand and success is more important than new tv markets.

Except, who cares about basketball? Their moves are with football in mind, not basketball.

I went to Evantston a few times during undergrad. Of the Big 10 Schools, I went to and partied at Michigan St, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Evanston was easily the lamest city. Chicago is fun, and I think maybe that explains part of the reason Evanston is so lame, but still. Really lame. "Hey let's get high everyone is ugly and boring and everyone who lives here hates us."

The best were Madison, Bloomington, and Ann Arbor.

Why would I remember why you were stoked about it?

I understand why it's important for the Big 10 to penetrate new markets, I just think it's super gay.

• Like 1

Yeah, all the big money comes from football, basketball's entire financial worth stems from the NCAA tournament. KU is in trouble if the Big 12 folds, which sucks, because it's a fun school with good fans. Bad luck.

You know a college town is bad when there is so much easy consensus on how bad it is. The high school program was VERY serious about no going out and partying and breaking curfew which was hilarious to me because where on earth would people go out to do stuff?

lol, Nick, compounding your hilarious take on NW is that the weed in Chicago sucks.

lol, Nick, compounding your hilarious take on NW is that the weed in Chicago sucks.

Please, we brought our own weed. Ann Arbor weed is the best in the midwest, and it was just down the road.

Anyway, with Rutgers and Maryland, there are two more spots left and I wonder who will get them. I always thought ND would get it, but now I doubt it with their ACC affiliation. I guess OU and OKstate could come as a package, but I would bet on them going to the pac 10. IT's hard for me to imagine who they would go after. I never would have guessed Rutgers if you'd given me 40 guesses before it was announced.

Please, we brought our own weed. Ann Arbor weed is the best in the midwest, and it was just down the road.

touche, well played. I was visibly bummed out the one time I bought weed in Evanston to the point that the dealer started apologizing. I found better weed in Macon, Georgia as a frame of reference.

Happy Valley is good (or at least it was before the Sandusky thing.....I'm sure it's still fine). Huge frat scene, kids who are smart but not TOO smart if you know what I mean. Very much a fun party school and the college town LOVES the school because the community is utterly dependent on it.

Edit: Oh, we think Nick is possibly Wang? I could see that.