The online-satellite pipeline to the Main Event at the WSOP found itself clogged in a major way this past week, as word leaked out from Harrah's Entertainment, owners of the World Series of Poker, that they will no longer accept third-party registrations on behalf of player who won their seats through satellites on online sites. A large majority of the 8,773 players who participated in the 2006 Main Event qualified in this manner, and in combination with the passing of the UIGEA and several sites' withdrawal from the U.S. market, all but ensures that the WSOP will have significantly smaller participation numbers in 2007. get the full story here, http://www.pokernews.com/news/2006/10/onli...cepted-wsop.htm

what's to stop Pokerstars to actually give the players who qualify the money in their account, so they can buy in themselves?
yeah i def. agree with thisthey can just mail you a check for $10 grand
yeah i def. agree with thisthey can just mail you a check for $10 grand
while the main event certainly will see a drop, the other prelim tourneys dont have alot of online sat qaulifiers and they get like 2,000 entrants.Im thinking the main event will probably get like 2-4K in entrants still.Now, as far as handing me a check for 10K?Im either going to pocket it, or play a bunch of prelims and have a kick *** time in vegas. I wonder how many people would actully buy in for the 10K if given the cash.
Poker is gonna survive all this. Where there is a will there is a way. We are a hardheaded lot. We tend to sit for hours everyday grinding toward our goals. We are a long way from the 2007 WSOP. It will be bigger than 2006.
How much do you want to bet that the 2007 WSOP will be bigger than the 2006 WSOP?
Poker is gonna survive all this. Where there is a will there is a way. We are a hardheaded lot. We tend to sit for hours everyday grinding toward our goals. We are a long way from the 2007 WSOP. It will be bigger than 2006.
i agree. poker players are naturally stubborn and hard headed. if a poker player wants it done, it will get done.poker is going through a rough time to say the least.
How much do you want to bet that the 2007 WSOP will be bigger than the 2006 WSOP?
If it's not I really don't care. I'll be there. Same as I was this year and in 2005. If some people want to panic, scream gloom and doom and pull their accounts that's fine. My point is that poker is not doomed and is not over. If some people don't have the heart and want to stick it out, then poker wasn't for them in the first place.
$100 that it's not.
I'll take this bet also in a heartbeat. No way next year is as big as this year. If the poker sites are forced to give the buyins in cash, for sure the majority of players pocket the money and don't use it to buy in.Also, I chuckled at the guy who wanted odds on this bet. I take it that means you also believe it will be less? Not sure what the odds are needed for here.Mark

We'll just have to wait and see. The sites will figure out a way to make it happen. Keep in mind, the U.S. isn't their only customer base. The Canadians, Aussies, and Europeans want to get there as bad as we do. Like I said, where there is a will there is a way.

We'll just have to wait and see. The sites will figure out a way to make it happen. Keep in mind, the U.S. isn't their only customer base. The Canadians, Aussies, and Europeans want to get there as bad as we do. Like I said, where there is a will there is a way.
it said they wont accept from third parties...which would be all online companies, it doesnt matter where the participant lives

The site could require you to send in signed paperwork stating you are the purchaser of the entry. Making it a first party purchase rather than 3rd party. I don't know. I'm not a legal expert. But I have enough common sense to know that they will try and find away around all this that covers everyone's @$$e$. Stop being so negative. Geez almighty.

The site could require you to send in signed paperwork stating you are the purchaser of the entry. Making it a first party purchase rather than 3rd party. I don't know. I'm not a legal expert. But I have enough common sense to know that they will try and find away around all this that covers everyone's @$$e$. Stop being so negative. Geez almighty.
I think they will just give the cash
I think they will just give the cash
After being paid the cash to buy into the ME, will the player then be given a pokerstars hat and shirt? I thought the whole reason why these sites run these qualifiers is that they get mad advertising when espn covers the ME and other wsop events a month or so after they have ended.
After being paid the cash to buy into the ME, will the player then be given a pokerstars hat and shirt? I thought the whole reason why these sites run these qualifiers is that they get mad advertising when espn covers the ME and other wsop events a month or so after they have ended.
prolly, i think tihs will all work itself out in t he coming months
I believe Full Tilt has already said this is what they would do.Mark
if the sites just give the players cash, a lot of them will keep it and not play i think. we all know the story about moneymaker-how he almost lost his main event entry just to get 8kim sure a lot of players would rather just keep the 10k
if the sites just give the players cash, a lot of them will keep it and not play i think. we all know the story about moneymaker-how he almost lost his main event entry just to get 8kim sure a lot of players would rather just keep the 10k
I totally agree. That was my point earlier. If it indeed ends up being that the WSOP does not allow sites to buy in for players, this will have a crushing blow on the entry levels of the big tourneys, and I personally feel the overall popularity of poker. Some (not all, but a lot) of the popularity of poker has come from the constant media barrage of these huge tournaments with massive prize pools. If we slip back down to a 2000 person ME, even though its still huge, will seem like a big disappointment to a lot of people and media.Mark
Are they saying why they saying why they aren't accepting the third party buy ins anymore?
I have not seen a reason in anything I've read or heard. my guess would be the same thing that is causing some sites to shut us out. They are probably not willing to risk any legal snafus with the US govt.Mark