Franklin Vs. Silva

Who wins?Both are tough guys. Rich Franklin has been in some wars and always seems to come out on top. Anderson Silva destroyed Chris Leban...but he is not in Rich's class at this point in his career.I see Rich winning a decision in a brutal fight.

Anyone underestimating Silva would be wrong to. This guy is awesome and has beaten a lot of good opponents. His main problem is that he can be very inconsistent. This will easily be Franklin's toughest fight so far in his career

Anyone underestimating Silva would be wrong to. This guy is awesome and has beaten a lot of good opponents. His main problem is that he can be very inconsistent. This will easily be Franklin's toughest fight so far in his career
I know little of Anderson Silva but was surprised he got the fight so quicklyLooking over his record briefly, I see what you mean. So I was hoping he'd bring the A-game. We need a shake up.Wow. You see the point in the fight where Franklin looked panicked, like "oh my, this guy's going to keep me in this clinch the whole round. I'm f'ed"Kenny has some heart and skills., he's going to be champion one dayI guess take down defense needs to be worked on more. Against weaker opponents he can get away; but not against the shark.LW div is going to be great to watch.good card. I was pleased.

overall i thought the card was pretty weak..the kongo fight was a huge disappointment..dan lauzon fought a chitty fight..he can fight much better. Fisher looked off tonight as well.as for the main event/eventsnot really suprised with franklin losing. after such a long time with no fighting silva is too good an opponent to shake the ring rust off against. and sherk vs florian. im not suprised at all with the outcome. great fight..easily fight of the night.

Wow! I can't belive how easily Silva manhandled Franklin. That Muay Thai clinch he had him in was sick. Riches face, especially his nose was a mess. I'm sure there will be a rematch in '07.I'm still a Franklin fan, but Silva looked unreal!

rich came into the fight with the wrong attitude...i wonder what he will say now about trading hands with anyone @ 185..

rich came into the fight with the wrong attitude...i wonder what he will say now about trading hands with anyone @ 185..
I don't think it was his attitude...I think it was Silva's power. I guarentee you that Farnklin is still not afraid to fight anyone in the division and will fight Silva in the future.Either way...the middleweights on The Ultimate Fighter better get some great insurance because Silva is going to rearrange their face.

Ouch, Franklin got worked bad. It seemed like he wasn't even trying and just wanted the fight to end very quickly. I didn't think he would get beat that badly if Franklin lost. I guess he really needs to train agains that clinch more often. I guess no one can touch Silva now, maybe if Hughes moves up and wants to fight like he said he would if Franklin lost.

I don't think it was his attitude...I think it was Silva's power. I guarentee you that Farnklin is still not afraid to fight anyone in the division and will fight Silva in the future.Either way...the middleweights on The Ultimate Fighter better get some great insurance because Silva is going to rearrange their face.
no he definantly came into the fight with the wrong attitude. this was shown by the statement he made of i thought the clinch would be my sweet spot. to me that statement gives the impression he didnt do his homework on silva. WHO HAS DONE MUAY THAI HIS ENTIRE F*&%@(*# LIFE. there is no way the clinch was going to be rich's sweet spot. Rich is good on the ground. he should have taken the fight down to the ground after the first knee. and actually patrick cote might be able to last more then a few minutes with silva..he's got a great chin..*better then leben and franklin* and has great great striking. im just glad no1 on here has succumbed to the virus going around other forums that discuss MMA about anderson silva being an mma god now..people talking about putting him in there with chuck or tito..both would make silva eat his lunch.and rumor circulating is dana white has asked Mike bisping to move down to 185..*bisping was considering this anyway* IMO bisping could give silva trouble if he moves down and gets a title shot down the road.and j im not to sure about hughes beating silva...hughes would need to take silva down..no easy task. and even if he does hughes could get sub'd by silva from any position on the ground. silva has a black belt in BJJ from the nogeriua*sp* brothers. anyone that has accomplished that is superb on the ground.IMO silva has the belt until Franklin comes back better then before or he gets caught in a freak sub or flash ko'd...OR dan henderson from pride shows up..although henderson hasnt been to great lately..if vitor belfort can keep up the amazing streak of fight's he's having and truly has returned to his old form i would love to see him get in there with silva..i think that would be a war..
im just glad no1 on here has succumbed to the virus going around other forums that discuss MMA about anderson silva being an mma god now..people talking about putting him in there with chuck or tito..both would make silva eat his lunch.
haha, the MMA forums across the web are an insane jopke for hte most part. In many ways they always have been. I hate them with a passion cause they are filled with fan bois that didn't watch MMA til after TUF got big and all of a sudden they know tons of stuff. The fact is, anderson silva is going to be very hard to defeat at that weight as its a weird weight in mma. the top fighters are either one weight class above, or below. Dean Lister is probably the only guy with the ground skills to damage Silva, but we all know lister's problems when it comes to being punched and the fact that he is a natural low heavyweight that cut down to LW and had a hard time cutting down to MW. I think that silva may end up having a long reign on that belt due to those circumstances
haha, the MMA forums across the web are an insane jopke for hte most part. In many ways they always have been. I hate them with a passion cause they are filled with fan bois that didn't watch MMA til after TUF got big and all of a sudden they know tons of stuff. The fact is, anderson silva is going to be very hard to defeat at that weight as its a weird weight in mma. the top fighters are either one weight class above, or below. Dean Lister is probably the only guy with the ground skills to damage Silva, but we all know lister's problems when it comes to being punched and the fact that he is a natural low heavyweight that cut down to LW and had a hard time cutting down to MW. I think that silva may end up having a long reign on that belt due to those circumstances
I agree. I don't see anyone in the near future taking Silva's belt away, but Silva is in no way a god, yet. He still has a lot to prove, and if people are saying he should fight Tito and Chuck, well then I would love to see that fight. Silva is a good fighter, don't get me wrong, but Franklin really hadn't fought anyone "great" before he fought Silva. KDawg, what do you think about Hughes moving up in weight class to fight Silva? I believe it was said that Hughes said he would do that had Franklin lost the fight because Hughes said he wanted to be the first to hold the belt in 2 weight classes as the same time.

yes kdawg agree the forums are a joke for the most part...the forums on theultimatefighter.tv are a great place actually. a very mature crowd..the knowledge might not be like top top fans..but it's a very mature forum which always helps. sherdog.com is the worst IMOyes i agree with u dean lister IMO stands the best shot to take silva down and submit him. Silva has great jujitsu..the black belt from the nog brothers speaks leagues about his ground game abilities. but dean lister is a whole different type of submission artist. if he can avoid getting rocked or caught in a clinch and manages to take silva down he can beat him.and yes actuary vitor is surging back as of late with 2 first minute ko's in his last 2 fights. he is fighting Dan Henderson on the pride card in november so we will truly find out which vitor it is. the can crusher, or the Phenom..I truly hope it's the phenom.

KDawg, what do you think about Hughes moving up in weight class to fight Silva? I believe it was said that Hughes said he would do that, had Franklin lost the fight because he wanted to be the first to hold the belt in 2 weight classes as the same time.
I wouldn't see the point in Hughes doing that. Hughes probably walks around at 180 or 183 tops, Silva if he was doing minimal cutting would still be going into the fight with a 10lb advantage. Hughes may be able to beat him, but that 10lb advantage would be a very hard hill to climb and may in the end not be worth it

the only chance hughes would have is to take him down and gnp the hell outta him..which he can do..but he has a tendency to get in trouble when he's in the guard..anderson could easily sub him..if anyone from WW would move up to fight him i'd so very very much love to see bj penn vs anderson silva.

Vitor Belfort is surging back?sweet.
When he was in his UFC prime he ate people for breakfast. The Phenom. Of course, the fighters then weren't as skilled/versed as they now are, but he (Belfort) was a killer. 19 years old too, thats sick.
When he was in his UFC prime he ate people for breakfast. Of course, the fighters then weren't as skilled/versed as they now are, but he (Belfort) was a killer. 19 years old too, thats sick.
I saw him vs Wanderlei (sp) Silva in UFC... fists a flying

oh and medical report came in..The following are the medical suspensions for random fighters for damage suffered in their bouts at the October 14, 2006 UFC 64 "Unstoppable" event from the Mandalay Bay Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada.-Rich Franklin must clear a nasal fracture with an ENT Dr. or he can not fight until April 9, 2007.-Sean Sherk is suspended until November 14, 2006 due to a laceration and other injuries sustained in his full five-round Lightweight title bout.-Kuniyoshi Hironaka is suspended until December 14, 2006 for damage suffered in his full three-round bout.-Jon Fitch must clear a nasal fracture with an ENT Dr. or he cna not fight until April 9, 2007. However, he has a minimum suspension of no fighting until November 29, 2006.-Carmelo Marrero is suspended until November 29, 2006 for damage suffered in his full three-round bout.-Dan Lauzon is suspended until November 29, 2006 for damage suffered in his first round TKO loss.

oh and medical report came in..The following are the medical suspensions for random fighters for damage suffered in their bouts at the October 14, 2006 UFC 64 "Unstoppable" event from the Mandalay Bay Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada.-Rich Franklin must clear a nasal fracture with an ENT Dr. or he can not fight until April 9, 2007.-Sean Sherk is suspended until November 14, 2006 due to a laceration and other injuries sustained in his full five-round Lightweight title bout.-Kuniyoshi Hironaka is suspended until December 14, 2006 for damage suffered in his full three-round bout.-Jon Fitch must clear a nasal fracture with an ENT Dr. or he cna not fight until April 9, 2007. However, he has a minimum suspension of no fighting until November 29, 2006.-Carmelo Marrero is suspended until November 29, 2006 for damage suffered in his full three-round bout.-Dan Lauzon is suspended until November 29, 2006 for damage suffered in his first round TKO loss.
I guess people like Chuck Liddell are super lucky they don't have to go through all this.
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, not really sure what was totally said in this thread, but here's my take.Internet forums - joke for sure, for the most part.Vitor Belfort is, and always was, overrated. People talk about 2 sides of Vitor, reality is.. he just isn't that great.Dan Henderson is never coming back from Pride.Silva is too great a fighter and too friggin tall, to get caught in his clinch. Not to mention that a fence, over ropes, has a certain give to it that helps the clincher. Think about getting out of the bottom side of a mount while you're belly up on a trampoline. That said, it looks like Swick is getting the next title shot. He'll get rearranged in all probability.That belt is safe until Franklin comes back. I think he'll use more movement/in-and-out. He WON'T get caught in that again. Besides, we really didn't get to see much of a standup besides the clinch. Maybe Rich can outstrike Anderson? It was a small sample size.LW division is the pinnacle of the UFC.I'll be rooting for Tito in december when he fights Chack. I don't think he'll beat Chack until he shows some more mvoement on the feet. More circling and more head movement. He needs to get outside of chacks lead leg to really have a chance. PS - if any of you guys that train have ever been in a clinch before, you should know how hard it is to get out when the guy is as tall and as strong as Silva is.