Can someone help me with this rule?I was watching the WPT with Noli somebody and that Charlie guy. Noli bet heads-up and Charlie called it a string bet or something.I don't understand this completely.Thanks

It's when you put some of the chips out, and then reach back to the stack to get more. Not allowed. If you're going to reach multiple times, you need to keep the chips back until you are ready to put them all out onto the table.

you make it look as though you are calling or declare a call and then you raise when it wasnt clearly stated thats what you were going to do...Why its not allowed: because people could gauge your reaction based on their calling and decide that raising will get you to fold

he said raise...and when you do that you either have to announce your bet or put all the chips out there at once. He just grabbed a couple and pushed them out, so when he reached for more that was a string bet. So he then had to put out the minimum raise.

A string bet is where you place a bet on the table (without announcing the amount), and then reach back and try to add more chips to your bet. When placing a non-verbalized bet into the pot, you can only do it in "one motion." If you verbalize the amount you wish to bet, you can do it in more than one motion, because you could be counting it out, etc., but ultimately the amount is already determined. Hope this makes sense and helps you. If not, let me know and I (or someone else) can surely explain it in more/better detail.

You can also reach back to your chips as long as you announce raise, then put out the call and decide how much you want to bet. It's against the rules to annoucne bet or raise then put an amount out there and then reach for more for two reasons, you could be looking for a fold and see that he is willing ot call the amount you originally bet and see that you want to put in more, or the other reason is you want a call and see that he is going to call you down no matter what and you want to put more chips out there to be called.

what I said applies more to limit, what dev says is the variation that applies to NL. Saying raise and gauging that you will call such a small raise and then trying to put more in so that you will fold.