An Honest Question About Posters On This Forum

i would like to see the mods given more leeway in terms of giving warnings or 1-day suspensions. that way stupid comments like "lock it up" and "QFT" and other pointsless stuff would be more easily dealt with. it'd be annoying for a little while, but once people got the idea, it would also help things along.
As mods, we can pretty much do whatever we want. These are our 2 options...1. Tighten up the rules and ban all of the trolls/morons/douchebags/etc from posting. While effective in keeping the forums clean, people complain a lot. We recieve a lot of PM's complaining about "what did I do wrong" and that crap. There are also 5 or 6 topics a day comparing us to Hitler.2. Only ban the people that are extremely bad. This results in a sloppier forum and the impression that we don't do a damn thing. It does, however, mean that people like us more because they're free to do whatever they want.I know that Keith and I love option 1, and Keith begs me to agree with him a lot. But, to keep our sanity, we've gone with option 2 for quite a while. Unless there's a high demand for option 1 (please?), I don't see much changing.
  • Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i completley agree with you.if you go to any other forum on the web, you say one bad thing that is hurtful or harmful to another user, instant ban.here people pots pictures of nooses, tell people they suck and to go kill yourself.someone even has the F-word in bold letters as his sig and that has gone unchecked for the longest time.its time mods started cleaning the place up.
Dude you deserve it you start the worst threads ever... go get banned or something
i completley agree with you.if you go to any other forum on the web, you say one bad thing that is hurtful or harmful to another user, instant ban.here people pots pictures of nooses, tell people they suck and to go kill yourself.someone even has the F-word in bold letters as his sig and that has gone unchecked for the longest time.its time mods started cleaning the place up.
I am surprised that you're still here, though. Not sure how I feel about that.

Option 1 is +Ev!!

I have been lurking about 2 years, joined August of last year and have under 1K posts. I read a LOT more than I post but then again, I am 41 and have a job and a brain. These little kids who have nothing better to do than jerk off and post sad replies are the problem. I thank all of the contributors to General, Strat, Off topic and other forums for their thought provoking topics and responses. The rest of the kids can piss off.Tom
Exactly
As mods, we can pretty much do whatever we want. These are our 2 options...1. Tighten up the rules and ban all of the trolls/morons/douchebags/etc from posting. While effective in keeping the forums clean, people complain a lot. We recieve a lot of PM's complaining about "what did I do wrong" and that crap. There are also 5 or 6 topics a day comparing us to Hitler.2. Only ban the people that are extremely bad. This results in a sloppier forum and the impression that we don't do a damn thing. It does, however, mean that people like us more because they're free to do whatever they want.I know that Keith and I love option 1, and Keith begs me to agree with him a lot. But, to keep our sanity, we've gone with option 2 for quite a while. Unless there's a high demand for option 1 (please?), I don't see much changing.
Option 1 pls.
I know that Keith and I love option 1, and Keith begs me to agree with him a lot. But, to keep our sanity, we've gone with option 2 for quite a while. Unless there's a high demand for option 1 (please?), I don't see much changing.
Why think of it only in terms of 2 options? Why not create a option 1.5? It would be somewhere in between #1 and #2. The worst offenders would be reigned in a bit and you would have to deal with SOME whiners ... but it wouldn't be as bad for you as the extreme version of the first option.Thinking of everything in dichotomous terms gets most people into trouble. Everything doesn't have to be either black or white. Try a little gray: it's a good color.
Why think of it only in terms of 2 options? Why not create a option 1.5? It would be somewhere in between #1 and #2. The worst offenders would be reigned in a bit and you would have to deal with SOME whiners ... but it wouldn't be as bad for you as the extreme version of the first option.Thinking of everything in dichotomous terms gets most people into trouble. Everything doesn't have to be either black or white. Try a little gray: it's a good color.
Because then it's still option 2. You won't see any real improvement unless we bite down real hard for a couple of weeks and then loosen up a bit.
Because then it's still option 2. You won't see any real improvement unless we bite down real hard for a couple of weeks and then loosen up a bit.
The problem here is that some people are actually funny. They can do things that are against the rules that people enjoy, so throwing them out is no good.Others have earned a solid reputation by posting her for a yr or two and are given a bit of leeway if they do something stupid, and i think that is warranted.It's a tough spot to be in to moderate, I for one would prefer you guys to keep doing what you are doing, though I don't like the current path of FCP. I also think what happened to Blair was pretty ridiculous.I would just hate to see overmoderation take place and then have to deal with you guys being b*tched at, when all you're trying to do is help the forum overall.
The problem here is that some people are actually funny. They can do things that are against the rules that people enjoy, so throwing them out is no good.Others have earned a solid reputation by posting her for a yr or two and are given a bit of leeway if they do something stupid, and i think that is warranted.It's a tough spot to be in to moderate, I for one would prefer you guys to keep doing what you are doing, though I don't like the current path of FCP. I also think what happened to Blair was pretty ridiculous.I would just hate to see overmoderation take place and then have to deal with you guys being b*tched at, when all you're trying to do is help the forum overall.
yea, its the conundrum right there. Personally I don't have a problem catching crap all that much cause it doesn't bother me to an extent. I am also a fan of silly internet dramabombs happening everynow and then. THough, I have a strong feeling that those calling for option 1 that doug outlined will also be the same people that will be bitching about the mods going all nazi. I will say that if there are a lot of people that want the #1 route to happen that there will be people banned for reasons that may not fit under the forum guidelines(basically sucking hard as a poster). Everytime Doug and I have tried a hardcore cleanup of General we catch flack. its a no win situation, but I will say that I was flat out appaled by the treatment that Blair got and it doesn't represent this site of Daniel well at all

Ha, I don't know the solution. But, I do remember KDawg and Custom being ripped apart for closing threads when the charter thing was going on. I remember being mad about a thread I was in getting closed and making threads about it. (Possibly old JWeb)Of course I want crappy posters to never post, maybe this will improve it, I just know that it's impossible for them as moderators to actually know all of us posters that consider ourselves vets.Like, for me I think most people don't know my handle despite having 1,000 posts. But I've been here for 1.5 years, I feel like a moderator being near me is ridiculous, I know how things work here etc. But to them, I'm some random member that hasn't effected them negatively or positively, so I doubt they are going to give me the benefit of the doubt if I go off about hating (insert random poster here). And if a random banning of me came about I don't think many posters would care very much, as I don't have a fan base or real friendships made with anyone in particular.The only real person it would suck for is me. I think if even one poster gets kicked off that fits this (read: my) description that the forum would be doing something disgustingly wrong.

OPTION 1, OPTION 1Okay, how about this. We have an IQ test for the forums. You have to score above 140 to post. Sound good for everyone?
You'd end up with like 3 memebers...Not much of a "forum" at that point eh?

That's exactly what I have been thinking!! Wish D.N. could read this and have his team DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! I'm just sick and tired of reading useless posts. Just read one about some site being rigged, and then ppl whining or posting hand histories that shouldn't even belong in the general and the list goes on!! :club:

I really don't understand what the hell has happened to this forum. I know I am not one of the original posters with a brazillion posts, but seriously. I have been here long enough to remember when it was fun to post in general and read about how the JC and PMJ were doing in some tourney on stars I could only dream of playing in. It was even funny to read the flames back then.Now, especially in this general forum, I read the post "lock it up", "QFT", "QFMFT" among others more than anything else. Well that is except for others bitching about why someone made a new post about the same $hit that was two threads up or something. I guess really what I am asking is what are the legitimacies of banning, or at the least suspending, someones posting priviledges? If I even think of making a derogatory comment on stars my chat is revoked for a month, but here I can say any kind of inflammatory $hit and it goes unchecked. In some ways I think this is why the General forum has gotten so clouded. Very little is done to stop this crap. What happened to Rodman today is really the last stand. I proudly make it known that I am a part of FCP, but I am really embarassed right now about my allegience when the people treat a respected pro the way they did him today. Reallistically, who gives a $hit if he reposted something about the online poker ban. It is, after all, kind of a big deal for an online poker forum considering it DEALS with online poker. And even if it was posted before, is it your bandwidth he's using? NO. So get over it.Really, this 30/30/30 thing should be seriously considered and possibly implemented. In fact, I am thinking about setting up an online petition maybe could be possibly forwarded to the site mods to handle this. Included maybe something about rules that have to do with posting suspensions and/or expulsions. Sorry if I wasted your bandwidth and now you need to post a dancing lock to try to appear funny. It's a veiled attempt at humor, and quite sad to be honest with you. Maybe I'll get some thoughts from others as to what you guys think about this.Night
One of the best posts ever on this forum. Im serious. I get sick of trying to go through threads only to see a bunch of geeks and nerds posting "QFT", "Lock it up," and other unnecessary junk. Some of the losers on this site need to go out and see the sunlight.
lock it up
F-ing loser. I bet you thought you were pretty clever posting this right after the OP's post, huh? Beat it nerd.
One of the best posts ever on this forum. Im serious. I get sick of trying to go through threads only to see a bunch of geeks and nerds posting "QFT", "Lock it up," and other unnecessary junk. Some of the losers on this site need to go out and see the sunlight.
Exactly!! Also I noticed most poker players are computer nerds or some past h.s. geek! lol Seriously! :club:
OPTION 1, OPTION 1Okay, how about this. We have an IQ test for the forums. You have to score above 140 to post. Sound good for everyone?
What happens if you are on the bubble?
The only real person it would suck for is me. I think if even one poster gets kicked off that fits this (read: my) description that the forum would be doing something disgustingly wrong.
We see more than you think. We know who the vets are and they do get away with more stuff because they've, essentially, proven themselves. It's unfair, but it's how it works.

OP, i can totally understand where you're coming from. this place ain't what it used to be.mods, i totally understand where you're coming from. i used to mod a forum a long time ago and it sucks. nothing you ever do is right. don't worry about the flack you get--just do what you can. you're going to piss people off either way.as for everyone complaining, well, i think the best course of action may be just to set as good an example as possible. kids are going to come on here and act like kids--it's the internet. it's the job of the people who have been here a while to show them how a good forum runs and do their best to keep it that way.that said, i laugh at a good flame as much as the next guy. i'm not so good at it myself, so i refrain from such things. to be honest, i'd hate it if all the humor left the forums. but that's not to say that we could stand a LOT fewer "search function," "lock it up," etc., posts. all they do is bump useless threads, and they don't discourage people from making them.and above all, this place is just an internet forum, guys. sure, i've met a few of you and even like 1 or 2 of you ( :club: ), but it's not like my life would end if this place disappeared or went all the way to ****. and that's not to say that it has--just that people might need to take a proverbial chill pill when it comes to dealing with the idiots that abound on the internet.that's my piece.

That's exactly what I have been thinking!! Wish D.N. could read this and have his team DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! I'm just sick and tired of reading useless posts. Just read one about some site being rigged, and then ppl whining or posting hand histories that shouldn't even belong in the general and the list goes on!! :club:
KDawg and I are part of Daniel's team. This topic is about trying to find a solution. Keep posting ideas.
if the home page menu had more topics than just general on it, people might be induced to more serious poker discussion.
Or the crap will spread to all of the other forums. Off Topic got pretty bad over the summer.
F-ing loser. I bet you thought you were pretty clever posting this right after the OP's post, huh? Beat it nerd.
I figured if any post ever had an implied obvious sw, it was that one. I guess it just flew over your head. I'll hold you by the hand and give you fair warning when I'm being sarcastic from now on.What's the point of telling me to beat it anyway? Were you looking to impress the forum elite? Does calling names on the internet give you a massive e-rection?