Best team?Team 2:Co-Captain- Chip ReeseCo-Captain- Eli Elezra2) Patrick Antonious15) Kenna James18) Lee Watkinson31) Men Nguyen34) Esther Rossi47) David WilliamsOrTeam 4:Co-Captain- Barry GreensteinCo-Captain- Phil Ivey4) David Benyamine13) Vanessa Rousso20) Chad Brown29) Josh Arieh36) Tuan Le45) Mike CaroOrTeam 6: "The Professionals"Co-Captain- Daniel NegreanuCo-Captain- Jennifer Harman6) Gabe Thaler11) Freddie Deeb22) David Chiu27) Nick Schulman38) Mike Matusow43) Evelyn Ng

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best team?Team 2:Co-Captain- Chip ReeseCo-Captain- Eli Elezra2) Patrick Antonious15) Kenna James18) Lee Watkinson31) Men Nguyen34) Esther Rossi47) David WilliamsOrTeam 4:Co-Captain- Barry GreensteinCo-Captain- Phil Ivey4) David Benyamine13) Vanessa Rousso20) Chad Brown29) Josh Arieh36) Tuan Le45) Mike CaroOrTeam 6: "The Professionals"Co-Captain- Daniel NegreanuCo-Captain- Jennifer Harman6) Gabe Thaler11) Freddie Deeb22) David Chiu27) Nick Schulman38) Mike Matusow43) Evelyn Ng
Flame response:DN already said that team 2 sucked, but nice try. Quick, post 100 times about nothing.Nice Response:Replace team 2 with team 3 and you might have something buddy! Welcome to the forum, please post often!
I think that this type of event is absolutely critical to the future develop of poker and sincerely hope it is a success.Unfortunately the problem with all these elitist type of events is the background politics that invariably get intertwined with the invitation/selection processes.Don't get me wrong I would dearly have loved to have had an invite along with zillions of others but didn't but I guess thats just too bad and I live in hope of getting invited in a future year but some of those invited absolutely amazes me.However at least they have managed to get most of the decent players involved but some of those invited would never have made my top 200 list never mind top 64.Just my envious two cents worth.
Your substaction from the field was an instant disappointment to me. What you need to do is grow boobs that are slightly bigger than Jennifer Tillys and then maybe you'll get invited. On a policital correctness tangent:Why have one entire group all women... don't they just want the best players? Maybe they should have a whole group of only asians and one of only black people?

The fact that it's 64 players may be significant. It fits perfectly into a bracketed heads up format. Although this hasn't been discussed by anyone so I'd guess it's not true, but it would be interesting. Hopefully that's something they could add to it later. To me it looks like Chip Reese's team was chosen almost randomly. Daniel's team looks good, although I don't know this Gabe Thaler fella. If he's really a guru that may very well put them over the top. I would say their chances really hinge on him being a top player.

Flame response:DN already said that team 2 sucked, but nice try. Quick, post 100 times about nothing.Nice Response:Replace team 2 with team 3 and you might have something buddy! Welcome to the forum, please post often!
Team 2 sucks? They have the most talent IMO.

I think the toughest test for "The Professionals" will be Team 5 With the exception of Phil Laak and Clonie, this should be a pretty decent team. I still feel from top to bottom Daniel's team is by far the best.Co-Captain- Chris FergusonCo-Captain- Ted Forrest5) Gus Hansen12) Phil Laak21) Joe Cassidy28) Jack Fox37) Clonie Gowen44) Paul Darden

I think the toughest test for "The Professionals" will be Team 5 With the exception of Phil Laak and Clonie, this should be a pretty decent team. I still feel from top to bottom Daniel's team is by far the best.Co-Captain- Chris FergusonCo-Captain- Ted Forrest5) Gus Hansen12) Phil Laak21) Joe Cassidy28) Jack Fox37) Clonie Gowen44) Paul Darden
LOL. That is all.
LOL. That is all.
Are you laughing at what team I like or your team being the best top to bottom??? JK. I'll just root for Doyle's team I guess... Who were the other captains who you thought came prepared?
Are you laughing at what team I like or your team being the best top to bottom??? JK. I'll just root for Doyle's team I guess... Who were the other captains who you thought came prepared?
Chip and Eli seemed to spend time thinking about the draft but I think they made a bad move picking Kenna when they could have maybe had Alaei or some other top end player. Kenna was going to go late on most people's depth charts. Doyle and Todd didn't seem to make good decisions either. Ivey basically said, "You pick em' all Barry, I don't even care." Barry was prepared for the draft. Cyndy and Mike did very poorly IMO. Their first two picks were both going to available later in the draft for sure. Juanda and Seidel definitely seemed to have a sound strategy. Chris and Ted, when talking to Ted seemed prepared but then made some key errors as well. Dewey and TJ simply weren't up to date on players that will excel in this format. Their team has too many "all or nothing" types and they could suffer.

I'll go with team 4 as my early favorite, Caro can play super tight and just lose the blinds and antes. Where is Josh Schlein? I thought he was playing in Vegas now but don't quote me on that. Freddy is a good pic for Daniel's team, maybe his daughter can fill in as a sub from time to time. She'll at least take some good pics.

I think that this type of event is absolutely critical to the future develop of poker and sincerely hope it is a success.Unfortunately the problem with all these elitist type of events is the background politics that invariably get intertwined with the invitation/selection processes.Don't get me wrong I would dearly have loved to have had an invite along with zillions of others but didn't but I guess thats just too bad and I live in hope of getting invited in a future year but some of those invited absolutely amazes me.However at least they have managed to get most of the decent players involved but some of those invited would never have made my top 200 list never mind top 64.Just my envious two cents worth.
Nice to see ya back for a bit Harry.
I believe Daniel said in January
Thankyou. :club:
Team four has my pick. Sorry Daniel.
Oh, I'm not sorry at all. I never expected the public to understand why our team is the top ranked team. I've even told my teammates that. It really doesn't matter anyway until we play the games. Phil Ivey, Barry Greenstien, and David Benyamine have a "sexy" ring to it, but if you break down the numbers you'll see that their team has some potential holes in it.
Nice to see ya back for a bit Harry.I've always been a lurker and more than a bit of a pot stirrer;-)Anyway I have noticed people asking why X,Y and Z haven't been picked for the draft/64 and as I'm not in the 64 suppose I can make some "Educated" guesses about the selection criteria/process.If I were choosing the 64 then I would have to take several factors into consideration aside from playing ability (eg personality/charisma/public appeal and although sexist good looking women players too as they are not only good for TV but a significant portion of the poker playing population).I know that a lot of the players were unhappy with the original contract which they felt was very restrictive and this could be a reason as to why there is no very recent WSOP ME champion.Then there are those wanted or not welcomed by the TV companies. They are showing the event so are entitled to a say.As for European players the format is very difficult for them as this thing is going to be spread over the best part of a year and it isn' that easy for someone in Europe to jet back and forth at short notice and to spend so much time in the States unless they are already based there.This committment over such a long period of time could very likely be the main reason why some of the bigger names not included turned down the opportunity to take part regardless of where they came from.I guess what I am saying is that it isn't a straightforward case of picking the top 64 players in the world (even if you could agree on such a list) and that there are a lot of other factors that may not be that apparent that go into the selection process.
Team 2 sucks? They have the most talent IMO.
Everyone else, including Daniel, disagrees.
1. Team 6: "The Professionals"Co-Captain- Daniel NegreanuCo-Captain- Jennifer Harman6) Gabe Thaler11) Freddie Deeb22) David Chiu27) Nick Schulman38) Mike Matusow43) Evelyn Ng2.Team 3:Co-Captain- John JuandaCo-Captain- Erik Seidel3) Annie Duke14) Antonio Esfandiari19) Martin deKnijff30) John D'Agostino35) Mimi Tran46) Phil Gordon3.Team 4:Co-Captain- Barry GreensteinCo-Captain- Phil Ivey4) David Benyamine13) Vanessa Rousso20) Chad Brown29) Josh Arieh36) Tuan Le45) Mike Caro4.Team 5:Co-Captain- Chris FergusonCo-Captain- Ted Forrest5) Gus Hansen12) Phil Laak21) Joe Cassidy28) Jack Fox37) Clonie Gowen44) Paul Darden5.Team 8:Co-Captain- Doyle BrunsonCo-Captain- Todd Brunson8) Hoyt Corkins9) Isabelle Mercier24) Humberto Brenes25) Michael Gracz40) Chip Jett41) Tony Guoga6.Team 2:Co-Captain- Chip ReeseCo-Captain- Eli Elezra2) Patrick Antonious15) Kenna James18) Lee Watkinson31) Men Nguyen34) Esther Rossi47) David Williams7.Team 1:Co-Captain- T.J. CloutierCo-Captain- Dewey Tomko1) Chau Giang16) Danny Alaei17) Carlos Mortenson32) Linda Johnson33) Layne Flack48) Amir Vahedi8.Team 7:Co-Captain- Mike SextonCo-Captain- Cyndy Violette7) Scotty Nguyen10) Robert Williamson23) Michael Mizrachi26) Gavin Smith39) Jennifer Tilly42) Liz Lieu Being a well balanced team is much better than having three winning players and, say, five losing players. The better players on the team will be forced to make up for what the weaker players on the team lose. Similar to other sports. If you had three great forwards on a hockey team, but the rest of the team sucked, that team would lose to a team with ZERO superstars but a deeper team. Your only as good as your weakest link.
Oh, I'm not sorry at all. I never expected the public to understand why our team is the top ranked team. I've even told my teammates that. It really doesn't matter anyway until we play the games. Phil Ivey, Barry Greenstien, and David Benyamine have a "sexy" ring to it, but if you break down the numbers you'll see that their team has some potential holes in it.
The statement "potential holes" seems to indicate that they might not materialize. And that's the problem trying to predict results in any poker event. We can make some general predictions, but saying which team is the best is nearly impossible. I guess its fun to speculate, but otherwise it seems like a waste of time. Let the event(s) demonstrate, hopefully, which team is in fact the best.

Harry wrote...

I've always been a lurker and more than a bit of a pot stirrer;-)Anyway I have noticed people asking why X,Y and Z haven't been picked for the draft/64 and as I'm not in the 64 suppose I can make some "Educated" guesses about the selection criteria/process.If I were choosing the 64 then I would have to take several factors into consideration aside from playing ability (eg personality/charisma/public appeal and although sexist good looking women players too as they are not only good for TV but a significant portion of the poker playing population).I know that a lot of the players were unhappy with the original contract which they felt was very restrictive and this could be a reason as to why there is no very recent WSOP ME champion.Then there are those wanted or not welcomed by the TV companies. They are showing the event so are entitled to a say.As for European players the format is very difficult for them as this thing is going to be spread over the best part of a year and it isn' that easy for someone in Europe to jet back and forth at short notice and to spend so much time in the States unless they are already based there.This committment over such a long period of time could very likely be the main reason why some of the bigger names not included turned down the opportunity to take part regardless of where they came from.I guess what I am saying is that it isn't a straightforward case of picking the top 64 players in the world (even if you could agree on such a list) and that there are a lot of other factors that may not be that apparent that go into the selection process.
Smacks a little like the Heads Up tournament. All of those factors roll into the selection process and how and why some obvious faces failed to get invited. And it is interesting ... how did they determine the TOP 64 to choose from? Regarding the woman, ALL are easy on the eyes (save Annie...sorry). You'd be hard pressed to make a case that Tilly and Liz belong in the top 64. They are not in Vanessa or Evys league play wise, and none are as good as Jen H. But as you say, this is television, and all those woman can play to one degree or another, so this is good for ratings. Too bad about the Europeans Harry but as you say, logistics would make it next to impossible. Next year?Best. :club:
Harry wrote...Smacks a little like the Heads Up tournament. All of those factors roll into the selection process and how and why some obvious faces failed to get invited. And it is interesting ... how did they determine the TOP 64 to choose from? Regarding the woman, ALL are easy on the eyes (save Annie...sorry). You'd be hard pressed to make a case that Tilly and Liz belong in the top 64. They are not in Vanessa or Evys league play wise, and none are as good as Jen H. But as you say, this is television, and all those woman can play to one degree or another, so this is good for ratings. Too bad about the Europeans Harry but as you say, logistics would make it next to impossible. Next year?Best. :club:
There are big plans for PPL expansion if things go as planned. Several european players belong, obviously, but since it's such a time committment it would be difficult for the European players to be on a level playing field. As for Harry, I think he has an excellent change of being a part of PPL expansion if that were to happen.
Well, I'll be rooting for you guys! B)
There are big plans for PPL expansion if things go as planned. Several european players belong, obviously, but since it's such a time committment it would be difficult for the European players to be on a level playing field. As for Harry, I think he has an excellent change of being a part of PPL expansion if that were to happen.
Thanks for that but I have to correct the bit you quoted that and attributed to me but it was actually "nutzbuster" who was quoting me in a follow up post to my previous one but its no big deal.I actually know some of the principals behind this league very well but do not believe that I am ready just yet to justify being included in the 64 but would hope to have some involvement at some future time. (Doesn't mean I didn't want an invite though becaseu I reckon it would have improved my game playing against this lot week in week out).However there are a few players whom I believe should not have been included for various reasons as I fail to see their appeal but as I said previously it is important for this to be a success and there will never EVER be total agreement on who should and should not be included.