Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book

i never even heard of this one yet is it basically the same as LGB or in a different game or more in-depth or what

i never even heard of this one yet is it basically the same as LGB or in a different game or more in-depth or what
You may've found out already, but it's mostly filled with example hands. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it, and it's pretty interesting.
From the couple of reviews on Amazon, it's supposedly like HOH3 for the beginner. Just sample hands that re-iterate the stuff taught in the LGB. From what I've heard it's very beginner/intermediate-esque. Very little for the advanced player. I may pick it up for Christmas or something. No rush for it yet.

I bought it a few days ago, and even though I'm not very far yet I think I'm picking up a lot of valuable information. He played some of the hands completely different from the way I would've, and he also explained why he made those decisions.

I bought it a few days ago, and even though I'm not very far yet I think I'm picking up a lot of valuable information. He played some of the hands completely different from the way I would've, and he also explained why he made those decisions.
I may take a look at it then. Even the basic books will have a tidbit or two that will help out even the most advanced player.
I may take a look at it then. Even the basic books will have a tidbit or two that will help out even the most advanced player.
What I like about his books is that he teaches you how to think like a pro. Not just describing what plays he made, but what factors were going through his head. He also has a mental checklist that helps him make the optimal decision in every situation.
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm 3/4 of the way thru this book - he basically analyzes a bunch of hands starting with cash games and then moving into tourneys from early to late stage.Excellent depiction of the blinds, stack sizes, tourney description (if any) and reads on the players around him.On every street, he goes thru his thinking process while throwing in a few anecdotes here and there.Very well written book and I like this book a lot better than HOH3 which has a similar format.

Good book, teaches you how to make a decision on a hand like a pro.He goes through the mental checklist which is helpful. Also, unlike HOH3, its easier to read and he goes through hands that he played, not that others played, so he will tell you exactly what he thought in the situation. It's the LGB in practice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Phil Gordon is actually responsible for me finding poker. I started watching Celebrity Poker Showdown when it first aired...more for the celebrities than anything. Phil was interesting, and got me interested in poker. I went to the library looking for books and ended up with Hellmuth's, but then I eventually bought Gordon's Black book and thought it was a great read...about how he got started...as well as some good tips. Then picked up the Little Green Book when it came out. I would also recommend Phil's DVD where you are "inside" his head while he makes decisions at the final table of a tourney. It's good stuff.

• 1 year later...

Family member who knows nothing about poker bought this for me for my birthday. I saw Clonie Gowen on the back "This book is the nuts!' and sighed.I usually just read anything about tells but now its at my disposal, it is nice reading hand after hand, I'd read any pros book on this, its a good idea and I'll probably pick up Gus Hansens one.Hes definitely arrogant but I haven't liked him ever since how he treated Yang on his radio show. How he talks about Ivey is a bit ridiculous "Ivey graciously showed the pocket 5s" after he folded ace king on a 10 9 7 flop.Also, whats with the Phil Laak hand? 25/50, Laak has 17k Gordon has 11k. Gordon open limps button with 65s, Laak raises to 150. Gordon calls.Flop Q 3s4sGordon has openendedstraightflushdrawPhil Laak best 375 Pot is $750 Gordon shoves all in for 11k.Laak calls with Ace Queen not suits and holdsThat was a pretty crazy hand and he treated it as standard. I wondered if it had even taken place.

Now I'm half way through the book: Phil Gordon is a donkYou basically learn what a weak players thinking when you're pushing him off a hand. Thats a bit extreme but some of his hands are so ridiculous. He calls 1/4 size pot bet on the flop on the button and then checks it down with an OESFD agaisnt a weak passive player. In contrast to the hand above where he apparently shoves 210 Big blinds into a 15 BB pot with the same hand on the flop.Or when Mike Matusow is playing like a maniac and Phil re-raises him with A 10, mike shuts up and calls, flop K Q 6no suit. Mike checks, Pot is 970 and Gordon figures his best play is to shove all in for 2450. At the start of the hand he said he didnt want to risk any of his chips as its only the 3rd level of the tournament. Mike had pocket 7s and folded.