fcp all-stars don't surprise me

If you want to know who the winning players are, ask Smash, that coward that left. He seems to know whether you are a winning player or not. Completely ignorant to the fact that he will decline your invitation to sit at your table. Due to the fact that he's scared about people knowing what his Party Poker moniker is.
You, sir, are a moron.to the original post:I actually think the majority of us are winning players- since, at some levels, being a winning player only requires the dicipline to lay down A5o preflop. Thats it.If you play preflop right, in my opinion, you can be a winning player. Granted.. you won't win nearly as much if you studied post flop too. But, to be a "winning" player, it takes little effort.The believe there are people here who are well beyond "winning" players, who have the capacity to teach others to be winning players. Some jackasses her drove off one of the best- and tried to drive another one off about a month ago.I am a winning player, but, by no means, am I an expert. According to a couple of the pros, I can probably beat the dollar games.. I just haven't had the BR to do it as of yet.
My wife found this site because I told her Danny N is one of my favorite players and that's my story. I've never been to RGP or 2+2; worth the time to check them out?PMJackson21: what would you say about this generality:Of two groups X and Y, where X is a random group of poker players who participate in forums (implying, perhaps, that they spend more time studying the game), and Y is a random sample of poker players, X will have a higher percentage of winning players than Y.I guess that is really the point I'm after here. And still, I do not think it's unreasonable to think that the visible members of the site who claim to be winners actually are winners.
Erudis -Yes, I agree that group X would probably have a higher percentage of winning players. The ability to discuss a hand, or hear another's perspective on how you played a hand, is invaluable.I wasn't disagreeing with that point at all; that's why I asked if you were talking about this forum specifically.As far as people claiming to be winners, that is a tricky subject. It's human nature for people to forget about their losses, and to remember the wins; we all do it at some time or another. That's why it is extremely important to keep detailed records of your poker playing. I have a notebook set up and an MS excel sheet set up so I track exactly how I'm doing. This is a bit easier for me because online I mostly play tournaments, but for the people that play ring games, you really have to stay on top of it. There are also quite a few programs (PokerTracker etc)that will do this for you.When I go to a B&M though and play ring games, I bring my notebook with me. Keeping a notebook/journal is a really good way to not only keep track of wins/losses, but also interesting hands at well. Raymer had a notebook with him all of last WSOP for example (now wouldn't THAT be an interesting read). This is even easier to do online with the ability to access hand histories, player stats, etc.Patrick
My wife found this site because I told her Danny N is one of my favorite players and that's my story. I've never been to RGP or 2+2; worth the time to check them out?PMJackson21: what would you say about this generality:Of two groups X and Y, where X is a random group of poker players who participate in forums (implying, perhaps, that they spend more time studying the game), and Y is a random sample of poker players, X will have a higher percentage of winning players than Y.I guess that is really the point I'm after here. And still, I do not think it's unreasonable to think that the visible members of the site who claim to be winners actually are winners.
both Wrto and I are posters at 2+2 and I'll definetly say it is well worth the time to not only check it out but to reg there. Post your hands in the strat sections according to what limit you play. micros go up to 1/2, small stakes start at 2/4, and mid to high stakes start at 10/20. The posters are very knowledgeable and give really great advice, just be sure to use the hand sonverter when you post a hand as they don't want to spend the time to go through a HH(can't blame them when you see all of the hands that get posted in a day). So that's my advice, as I feel that I have a better grasp on the game since I joined and started posting regualry
both Wrto and I are posters at 2+2 and I'll definetly say it is well worth the time to not only check it out but to reg there. Post your hands in the strat sections according to what limit you play. micros go up to 1/2, small stakes start at 2/4, and mid to high stakes start at 10/20. The posters are very knowledgeable and give really great advice, just be sure to use the hand sonverter when you post a hand as they don't want to spend the time to go through a HH(can't blame them when you see all of the hands that get posted in a day). So that's my advice, as I feel that I have a better grasp on the game since I joined and started posting regualry
Yeah, I second that. 2+2 (or '4' as we affectionately call it on RGP:-) ), is a great place to seek advice. Like KDawg said though, make sure you use the hand converter. 2+2ers are known for being....Well, I don't know how exactly to put it...a little bit uptight? I saw a 2+2er put it best once when he said 'RGP is like the frat in Animal House, and 2+2 is like the frat in Revenge of the Nerds.' Heh, not to say 2+2 is full of Landa Landa Landas (ha, wasn't that what they were called?), but since it is moderated and tends to focus more on the 'Sklansky' approach to the game, it's a bit tamer. Plus, since it is part of 2+2 Publishing, you can't really be that critical of any of their books. RGP on the other hand, is a public USENET newsgroup, so there is no moderation. You can say whatever you want, whenever you want. That includes the morons, the racists, the people that only post about off topic political stuff, the spammers, etc etc...All that stuff helped run off most of the pros, but it's the price you pay with free speach. If you can ignore the idiots, and wade your way through the spam though, you can get as good advice as any. Plus, I feel that is has more of a 'community' feel then 2+2, much like this forum.Patrick
Yeah, I second that. 2+2 (or '4' as we affectionately call it on RGP:-) ), is a great place to seek advice. Like KDawg said though, make sure you use the hand converter. 2+2ers are known for being....Well, I don't know how exactly to put it...a little bit uptight? I saw a 2+2er put it best once when he said 'RGP is like the frat in Animal House, and 2+2 is like the frat in Revenge of the Nerds.' Heh, not to say 2+2 is full of Landa Landa Landas (ha, wasn't that what they were called?), but since it is moderated and tends to focus more on the 'Sklansky' approach to the game, it's a bit tamer. Plus, since it is part of 2+2 Publishing, you can't really be that critical of any of their books. RGP on the other hand, is a public USENET newsgroup, so there is no moderation. You can say whatever you want, whenever you want. That includes the morons, the racists, the people that only post about off topic political stuff, the spammers, etc etc...All that stuff helped run off most of the pros, but it's the price you pay with free speach. If you can ignore the idiots, and wade your way through the spam though, you can get as good advice as any. Plus, I feel that is has more of a 'community' feel then 2+2, much like this forum.Patrick
:D:):D:):):D:club: , that one is really making me laugh becuse that analogy is real good

I saw a 2+2er put it best once when he said 'RGP is like the frat in Animal House, and 2+2 is like the frat in Revenge of the Nerds.' Heh, not to say 2+2 is full of Landa Landa Landas (ha, wasn't that what they were called?) Lamda Lamda Lamda, or the Tri-Lams[/b]

Before that little detour in the middle, this was an extremely refreshing post.In my case, I'm a winning player before midnight, and a losing one after. It's a leak I have to correct, and I hopefully will. However, I would say that the odds are that a good number of players here are better than the average, simply because they are here. Getting involved in a forum means they take poker more seriously (in general) than the people who saw an add for Party/Stars/Fulltilt on TV and decided "what the hell". Most members here at the very least have probably read the better books, discussed strategy with others, and try to play a quality game. Even if they aren't 6BB/1hr winners they probably manage to at least not lose 6BB/1hr. Let's hope this new spirit becomes the norm."It's called logic it will help you"-Bill Hicks
Why a losing player after midnight? Lack of sleep/drinking or something else. Just curious never heard a person use a time other than say after 6 hours I start losing focus.
Lack of Sleep/Drinking is exactly it. I tilt more easily, and also make bad decisions - like moving in with a straight against an obvious flush. I also decide to do things like play tourneys when I should know that I'm too tired to play, and unless I get supremely lucky have no shot at winning or even cashing. If the combination is right, I can burn off 2 weeks worth of wins (not saying I win every night, but say 3/5 winning sessions and a decent BB/hr) in three short hours.However, I've taken some careful steps to plug this leak, and hopefully by BR will be

I never know how to answer the question am I a winning player. (Swift, I answered your poll break even) I've only been playing about 9 months, and only about 6 months of playing every night. I'm up about $715 over the time, playing $5 MTTs and SNGs about 90% of the time. (I'd say all of that profit comes from those) My ring game needs ALOT of improvement, I know that, and avoid it. I just don't know if I can call myself a "winning" player. I'm a decent tournament player, I think I can admit to that. But I have alot of insecurity about my status. Have I just been lucky to make big scores? I have 13 final tables in those 6 months, but no wins. I guess I an say I'm profitable, but maybe not "winning". Does any of this make sense? :oops: :D

2005/02/06 @ 15:51:31 FIREPAY CASH OUT ($1,000.00) 78 2005/02/06 @ 00:09:06 FIREPAY CASH OUT ($1,000.00) 76 2005/02/05 @ 18:06:16 FIREPAY CASH OUT ($1,000.00) 2005/02/03 @ 10:54:45 FIREPAY CASH OUT ($1,000.00 75 not a bad couple o days

2005/02/06 @ 15:51:31 FIREPAY CASH OUT ($1,000.00) 78 2005/02/06 @ 00:09:06 FIREPAY CASH OUT ($1,000.00) 76 2005/02/05 @ 18:06:16 FIREPAY CASH OUT ($1,000.00) 2005/02/03 @ 10:54:45 FIREPAY CASH OUT ($1,000.00 75 not a bad couple o days
Heck, I could do that too -- I'd just have to cash that grand back in between each of those cashouts. ;-)(Not trying to discredit you -- just sayin'.)
I think I'm probably in the top 90% of all the serious poker players out there (maybe higher, that's not really a very good way to judge skill, is it?) but I still consider myself a losing player.I think a lot of people lie. I'm being completely honest when I say that I could probably beat any group of people my age consistently in tournament play (Save that kid HoldEmPhil on PokerStars) if I were to get the rest of my life in line. I've got no results and no bankroll, so there you have it. I'm a losing player.Am I the first to admit this?
Possibly, but I like the confidence you have in yourself. When you get everything together, give me a buzz, I'll play ya. One of us is bound to win a head up tourney :D

When I first joined the forum I had lost about 300 of my own money playing .50/1, I also lost 200 in one NL table. My knowlege consisted of both Howard Lederer's Tells videos, and I was the type that thought that i only lost money because I was playing with fish..I was too good for them and overthought all of my plays... THEY KEEP OUTDRAWING ME!! I think I joined in Dec. so now its about 5 months later, and after a few books and a regular postern on this site My bankroll is up to 1,055 (from an inicial 150) I got to 500 by playing .50/1 ( a little 1/2 when I joined Pokermountain) then I went on a rush the other day and went up to 900, now Im playing 1/2 and Im up to 1055, hopefully ill be playing 2/4 soon. Now, I cant prove that this site helped me to become a better player, but Im sure it did. and as wrto said, If we all help eachother out there is no way that we cant all improve our play. My opinion is this, there are lots of winning players on this site, but only a handfull of really successfull ones, if instead of flaming their every word we pay a bit more attention to what they have to say we wont go wrong.

I'm the Doogie Howser of poker. I don't think age is that much of a signficance. I work my ass off to become a better player, and I think that's what really matters. Sure, most people my age don't take the iniciative, but some do.
Yeah, I agree; age isn't that much of an issue. I meant it more as a general statement because all you have to do is look at any major tournament's final table to see that young players are making their presence felt. I'm sure that the benefits of online play in regards to gaining experience have been discussed here before, but there is no doubt that you can make up for lack of age by the sheer amount of hands you can play online in comparison to a B&M. Heh, 'Doogie Howser of Poker'..Who's his buddy Max then? :-) Ever seen 'Harold and Kumar go to White Castle' ? The NPH scenes in that kill me. Patrick
I can't belive he played that role. It was funny, though, I cried when he splooged in the back seat.
Heck, I could do that too -- I'd just have to cash that grand back in between each of those cashouts. ;-)(Not trying to discredit you -- just sayin'.)
damn...busted!!! lol..i was hoping no one would catch on....

i'll admit i don't make money playin online, learned lessons from bankroll management and am trying to make myself smarter by reading the posts here.i appreciate all the help and strategy that goes into this. i definitely won't say i cash out thousands cause i don't. damn net teller won't let me cash out my 2 bucks in my account for a beer at the bar. oh well. thanks for the help and hope it continues.