Because Starving Children Just Isnt' Very Serious

Right. Another nugget from everone's favorite Christian - a worldly, educated, humane man who faithfully devotes time from his demanding life of Serious Affairs to humbly serve you, the full contact poker congregation, er, community. Thank you for the substance, Oh Dear One. You might not like it, you might belittle it, but while you've been enjoying mindless, narcissistic pursuits of golf, poker, hockey, reality tv, and the like for how many years - Sally Struthers has not only actually been doing something to improve the lives of children, she's actually travelled around the world putting her feet on the ground she's staked out in her messages. http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../606160336/1050

Sam Kinison: Give the kid a f ucking sandwichmust you guys parse every word he says like its the bible - his mention of struthers probably wasn't the best idea but you know what he meant

must you guys parse every word he says like its the bible - his mention of struthers probably wasn't the best idea but you know what he meant
Interesting choice of words in relation to the Bible thumper. Anyways, I'm sure he'd defend it (with similar twisting and turning logic) as he defended his belittling fund drives for murdered police officers and his persistent dimunition of low wage workers. I think his words reveal an awful lot. It doesn't take much intrpretive ingenuity to take what he's saying as: what really counts in this world, kids (ie, 'fans' and others over whom I have influence because of my success as a poker player) is your continued capacity to play a game online. Therein lies your freedom, your power, and your value. People will say that he has the right to say whatever he wants in his blog. Ok, he does. So does Paris Hilton. So does **** Cheney. And, if anyone of them says something stupid and offensive, people should call it out.
Interesting choice of words in relation to the Bible thumper. Anyways, I'm sure he'd defend it (with similar twisting and turning logic) as he defended his belittling fund drives for murdered police officers and his persistent dimunition of low wage workers. I think his words reveal an awful lot. It doesn't take much intrpretive ingenuity to take what he's saying as: what really counts in this world, kids (ie, 'fans' and others over whom I have influence because of my success as a poker player) is your continued capacity to play a game online. Therein lies your freedom, your power, and your value. People will say that he has the right to say whatever he wants in his blog. Ok, he does. So does Paris Hilton. So does **** Cheney. And, if anyone of them says something stupid and offensive, people should call it out.
Actually, it's very possible that you might be just a tad... well, cuckoo? I don't know how to spell it. I got no qualms with Sally Struthers dude, it was just a joke. If you take everything people say so seriously all the time it will add oodles of stress to your life. Lighten up dude!
Sally Struthers has not only actually been doing something to improve the lives of children, she's actually travelled around the world putting her feet on the ground she's staked out in her messages.
Plus she's on the Gilmore Girls!!
cuckoo? I don't know how to spell it.
Yeah, you got it right. And they say poker players can't spell Cuckoo.

Dude. Hakuna Matada (I don't know how to spell it) - remember that goofball from the Lion King who went around telling everyone to lighten up?Well, the thing is, he sounded like a goofball. Is it possible that you might be just a little....um...narcissistic?

Dude. Hakuna Matada (I don't know how to spell it) - remember that goofball from the Lion King who went around telling everyone to lighten up?Well, the thing is, he sounded like a goofball. Is it possible that you might be just a little....um...narcissistic?
Why are you here? Just curious more than anything?
I crave validation from a status figure.
No doubt that the Struthers comparison was a bad choice. Insensitive maybe, ill-spirited, probably not. Im not here to defend hungry children vs. poker's problems but this does happen to be a poker forum. A large majority of people here are terribly concerned about their future and ability to earn a living. So as long as we're speculating on Daniel's comment, I submit that he was actually encouraging us to donate to Sally's cause, because after all, 0.25$ a day ain't much, but the amount that some here stand to lose due to recent legislation is quite significant. So after all, he was echoing her message. And please, remember, for as little as twenty-five cents a day you could give that little boy or girl the money they need for vaccinations, books, and a safe place to sleep.
OPDid you just link to my home town paper cause you live out here? Or first google story that hit your desire?
Ha, no, that's odd. I actually poked around a little to see what I could find out about Sally Struthers and her humanitarian efforts. Was there something I didn't know about the charity she's represented? That article was just one of few substantive pieces about her work. She is the butt of a lot, and I mean a LOT, of jokes. I find that really strange. Apparently thinking about things like that makes me seem cuckoo to some. Nonetheless, I really wonder why. Is it something about her? Is she not credible? Not qualified? What credentials does one need to appeal to our conscience? Maybe the response has something to do with cultural memory still marking her as a rather silly, naive liberal like her fictional character and her fictional husband Meathead. Many serious entries set themselves off against her, saying in so many words that she and her humanitarian cohorts distort perceptions of African reality and/or fail to address underlying issues. Yet, she never claimed to be teaching Anthropology or saving Africa; she just appealed to people to help individual children and families. A lot of jokes focus on her weight, or, as in this thread, her looks. That's wierd. Someone has to be beautiful to appeal to our conscience?In the end, I suppose it comes down to - when someone who disturbs our complacency without the right credentials, or without the charisma to excuse the lack of credentials, they're going to get paid back for it in subtle and not-so-subtle ways.

I enjoyed the roast of Rob Reiner when one of the guys said: Sally Struthers called and wants to have an intervention about your weight"Guess you had to be there. Meathead and Gloria..All in the Family...Rob Reiner is heavy..never mind