This hand isnt OVERLY interesting, but I am interested in 2 aspects....1) Can I afford to / Should I slow it down on the flop?2) Given the flop action, does anyone not three bet the river?Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7c, 7s. Hero calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.Flop: (4 SB) 5h, Qs, 7d (4 players)SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB 3-bets, Hero caps, Button calls, BB calls.Turn: (8 BB) Kc (3 players)BB checks, Hero bets, Button calls, BB folds.River: (10 BB) Kh (2 players)Hero bets, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, Button caps, Hero calls.Final Pot: 18 BB

This hand isnt OVERLY interesting, but I am interested in 2 aspects....1) Can I afford to / Should I slow it down on the flop?2) Given the flop action, does anyone not three bet the river?Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7c, 7s. Hero calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.Flop: (4 SB) 5h, Qs, 7d (4 players)SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB 3-bets, Hero caps, Button calls, BB calls.Turn: (8 BB) Kc (3 players)BB checks, Hero bets, Button calls, BB folds.River: (10 BB) Kh (2 players)Hero bets, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, Button caps, Hero calls.Final Pot: 18 BB
I think the only reason to slow down on that flop is to get a check raise in on the turn. If you think he's got a real hand, then I'd make it look like I'm worried about his 3 bet so that he's sure to bet the turn and I check raise there.I'm curious about the hand because if he Button had KQ, I think you might and should get raised on the turn. If he's got 55, why does he slow down on the turn only to come back at you on the river. I wouldn't think that he had QQ ever here, becuase after anyone limps in, it's really dangerous not to raise with that hand.The only hand I'd be really worried about is KQ here. I thikn the cap on the flop is fine and as for the river, well, if the action was different and HE put in the 3rd bet, I'd probably just call. As it is, I think you should've put in the 3rd bet on the river.Do I say nice hand or tough beat?

Given that it looks like this is either a 5 handed table or it is folded to you in the hijack this is an easy raise preflop.I wouldnt slow down on flop just cause I dont think it matters much whether you just call the 3-bet and raise the turn or just cap the flop. If you just call the 3-bet and raise the turn you will most likely fold the button(in this hand it looks like it wont, but i think this hand is the exception) but you will get more money out of the BB if you wait till the turn compared to if you just cap the flop you will get more out of the button who will most likely call when he already called a bet and a raise and less out of the bb who will proabbly check to you on the turn. Still the times where the BB leads out again on the turn makes capping the flop the best play.Without a read on button Im not sure what to do on river. It would be nice to know what kinds of hands he would call two cold on the flop with mostly. Also it would be nice to know if he would raise preflop with KQ in this spot.

Hey, I was utg and fairly new to the table. Im interested if the limp utg is "correct", Im just rediscovering limit atm and would have raised 77 in the cutoff or later but utg didnt seem apt. As for reads on the button, I hadnt seen him go to showdown yet and had only been at the table maybe 3 orbits so had nothing concrete to go on.I felt ok about the hand until he raised me when KQ made perfect sense but I thought there was value in the three bet. If it had been him three betting I think I might have just called. In terms of the flop, I did wonder whether I lost the opportunity to raise him on the turn by playing it so quick.

I'd be getting as many bets in as I possibly could on the flop with the additional playing hanging around. Too many players will feel they're "priced in" to see a turn when they should be getting away as soon as possible, and they'll just check/dump on the river if they don't get a piece with their stupid 66 or AJ or QT or whatever stupid hand he had.In this case it looks like the "extra" player had a hand, and the guy going to war with you is a moron....This looks a lot like 55 to me. Seems like he was content to let the two of you build the pot for him, and he was scared of waking up on the turn and setting off alarm bells in you two, especially when there was a very real chance button would check/raise again or fold to 2 cold when he pops the turn after check/calling the flop.That being said, it's also very very likely KQ. He called 2 cold on the flop, afraid of a set, had no idea what to do on the turn, and decided the nuts were probably good on the river. When he raises the river, without a read, I think raising and calling are pretty close. There aren't a whole ton of hands he can think are very good, here, apart from 55, K5, K7, QQ, and KQ. The only ones that make any real sense given the action are 55 and KQ.So, after he raises the river, without a read, it's probably closer than we think vs. raising and folding. It's very hard for him to see a turn with JUST a king, no pair... So it's either a K-x boat, or 55.I would call.Sorry for length.

I'd be getting as many bets in as I possibly could on the flop with the additional playing hanging around. Too many players will feel they're "priced in" to see a turn when they should be getting away as soon as possible, and they'll just check/dump on the river if they don't get a piece with their stupid 66 or AJ or QT or whatever stupid hand he had.In this case it looks like the "extra" player had a hand, and the guy going to war with you is a moron....This looks a lot like 55 to me. Seems like he was content to let the two of you build the pot for him, and he was scared of waking up on the turn and setting off alarm bells in you two, especially when there was a very real chance button would check/raise again or fold to 2 cold when he pops the turn after check/calling the flop.That being said, it's also very very likely KQ. He called 2 cold on the flop, afraid of a set, had no idea what to do on the turn, and decided the nuts were probably good on the river. When he raises the river, without a read, I think raising and calling are pretty close. There aren't a whole ton of hands he can think are very good, here, apart from 55, K5, K7, QQ, and KQ. The only ones that make any real sense given the action are 55 and KQ.So, after he raises the river, without a read, it's probably closer than we think vs. raising and folding. It's very hard for him to see a turn with JUST a king, no pair... So it's either a K-x boat, or 55.I would call.Sorry for length.
I think that although there's no reason to slow down on the turn with the hand, 55 seems like a real possibility. He could've been "trapping" you on the turn by just calling and trying to get the BB to come along. That reason is also why I like the flat call of the 3 bet on the flop. Since you are between the two of them, if the button bets, the BB is likely to call the single bet and then get sandwiched for your check raise on the turn, getting in 4.5 BBs on the flop and 6 BBs on the turn instead of 6 BBs on the flop and then 3 on the turn. This assumes that the BB is going to call on the turn, but given the action, the K shouldn't have changed any hand that was willing to go 4 bets on the flop.I misread the initial post and thought you were going to war with the button and not the BB on the flop. I now like capping the flop. After rereading the post, I think that 55 is even more likely now than it would've been before.That being said, it's possible that he has AK or something like that and was just unwilling ot let go of it. As stupid as that might be, lots of players do that.
So, after he raises the river, without a read, it's probably closer than we think vs. raising and folding.
Don't fold, of course.Raise preflop. In short-handed games, you have to.I push the river like you did.If Villain hit runner runner to beat us, then the pot is his without any regrets.--cm

I agree with the fact that the river play is really close, but I think 3-betting is right, and we just have to get the puke ready when he decides to cap.If you were beat by KQ here, you can only curse your luck with having to go first against the guy who had KQ. Certainly if we were behind him, I would advocate a raise and then just calling the 3-bet if it came. Hand was played fine throughout though. And, I think limping UTG with a pcket pair in LHE is OK if you have a loose table. You want to go to a flop with a lot of small bets in the pot when you have those sort of holdings.

And, I think limping UTG with a pcket pair in LHE is OK if you have a loose table. You want to go to a flop with a lot of small bets in the pot when you have those sort of holdings.
This logic makes much more sense in a full ring game for the following reasons:- Even if you raise preflop, you will often be called by someone.And you will then have to play the rest of the hand out fo position.And 77 does not do well out of position.- Limping will encourage more limpers.And then you will play your pocket pair for set value only.But this is a 5-handed game.And neither of these points apply.- Raising preflop will often win the pot instantly.- You will rarely have enough limpers in a 5-handed game to play pocket pairs purely for set value.You really need to raise this preflop.--cm