To Christian Poker Players

i have a question, or rather 2 questions shot at me from someone very important to me.1st is how does God fit into playing poker?and secondly is how does poker contribute to society?any help would really be appreciated guys.

I don't know about the first one, as I'm not christian, but, as for number two, I've thought long and hard about this one. I've come to the conclusion that poker is a drag on society. It bankrupts people, ruins families, and gets peoples' knees broken. It really has no place, except to let a few degenerates like me clean up at the tables and blow it on grass.erac

1. The same way God fits into doing sofware development, mowing lawns, designing houses, building walls, welding cars on a production line, packing shelves in a supermarket, playing snakes and ladders, and playing checkers.2. It doesn't. Just like spectator sports, video games, and movies.

It bankrupts people, ruins families, and gets peoples' knees broken.
Where can I find YOUR games ? :club: To justify poker...or war...or the death penalty...or emailing 16 year olds...they simply make up the rules as they go along. Just as they have been for centuries.You needed to post to learn that ? :D
I don't know about the first one, as I'm not christian, but, as for number two, I've thought long and hard about this one. I've come to the conclusion that poker is a drag on society. It bankrupts people, ruins families, and gets peoples' knees broken. It really has no place, except to let a few degenerates like me clean up at the tables and blow it on grass.erac
I disagree with this. Poker has a place in society...entertainment. Yes, some poeple lose more than they should, but should we bulldoze Vegas because of this? Of course not. Entertainment, plain and simple. And a profession for a select few. Just like sports.
I disagree with this. Poker has a place in society...entertainment. Yes, some poeple lose more than they should, but should we bulldoze Vegas because of this? Of course not. Entertainment, plain and simple. And a profession for a select few. Just like sports.
If we do, can I operate the dozer?
Why don't you formulate your own replies, OP? They're subjective, after all. What do you think?
You don't want to know what that RKIGS thinks, about anything. Trust me.

i am christian and i justify playing poker. it is something i love to do, and it also helps pay the bills. i believe that it is all in the way you look at it. some real degenerate gamblers like most of the dudes in rounders for example are looking at it the wrong way going out of the way to ruin people's lives. some people say it is sinning because it is taking money away from others. how about the business world? businesses compete and as a result may go bankrupt. bosses basically decide how people can live by deciding their paycheck. its all in the way you look at it.

Balloon Guy hit the nail on the head! Entertainment/Recreation plain and simple, abuse it and you will have problems, and there is always the blessed few that are able to make a profession out of any sport/game. Moderation is key for the rest of us.

i have a question, or rather 2 questions shot at me from someone very important to me.1st is how does God fit into playing poker?and secondly is how does poker contribute to society?any help would really be appreciated guys.
1: The bible doesnt have a problem with playing games of skill for money.2: Entertainment.. Nothing wrong with that.Anyone that thinks investing in the stock market is ok can not complain about poker. Both are very very similar.
i am christian and i justify playing poker. it is something i love to do, and it also helps pay the bills. i believe that it is all in the way you look at it. some real degenerate gamblers like most of the dudes in rounders for example are looking at it the wrong way going out of the way to ruin people's lives. some people say it is sinning because it is taking money away from others. how about the business world? businesses compete and as a result may go bankrupt. bosses basically decide how people can live by deciding their paycheck. its all in the way you look at it.
one of the best replies, thanks alot, and alot of the others are aswell so thankyou and keep them comming.

This is a post from Daniel regarding Christianity and poker:I've been asked this question so many times in private e-mails that I think it's about time I address. I often have people ask me how I justify what I do and maintain my beliefs. Well,as another poster pointed out there is nothing in the Bible says that anything about gambling being a sin. Personally I think anything you do that becomes an obession can be sinful- eating too much, drinking too much, becoming obsessed with money, etc. As long as poker doesn't interfere with your relationship with God I don't see a problem with it. If you put gambling before God that would be a problem. If gambling is destroying your family, I see that as a problem I often get the argument that what I do isn't Godly, i.e. taking other peoples money. What endeavor or business would this not be true? You open a restaurant, that's a gamble. You get married, that's a gamble. You invest in the stock market, well we all know that's a gamble! I make my living by being better than my opponents at a game. Shaquille O'Neal does the same thing. He makes millions of dollars because he is better than hs opponents. Does he take money from people directly? Not exactly, but indirectly he does. He's the best player on his team and makes more money than they do. If other teammates improve their play they'll make more money. There are a million similar anologies you could use. Get a promotion at a company because you work harder than other employees. .. etc. It's not sinful to be rich. In fact in the Bible it states that some will have more than others. It's sinful to obssess about money and make it your God... I don't think I do that. Having said all that I do feel a moral obligation to use the gift I was given in a positive way. Whether it be to make a difference in someone's life or to aid those less fortunate.Mark

Balloon Guy hit the nail on the head! Entertainment/Recreation plain and simple, abuse it and you will have problems, and there is always the blessed few that are able to make a profession out of any sport/game. Moderation is key for the rest of us.
Hallalujah!!!
If you are truly Christian then you shouldn't be playing poker.
If you are truly Christian then you shouldn't be playing poker.
My two cents...I am a Christian and I play poker. The Bible says nothing about gambling but it does talk about being responsible with what God gives us and being generous (not greedy).That being said, when I first started playing, yes, I had to square that up with God. And I don't feel as though He is judging me for playing, so long as 1) I don't do something stupid $$ wise (like playing over my bankroll or when I'm not thinking straight), and 2) I spread around the winnings from the table. Every winning week I have will mean more $$ for church and charity and I do not give less just because I have the occasional losing week.Plus, what is more of a gamble...playing a game against others or playing the stock market?Again...just my two cents.
1: The bible doesnt have a problem with playing games of skill for money.2: Entertainment.. Nothing wrong with that.Anyone that thinks investing in the stock market is ok can not complain about poker. Both are very very similar.
Hmmm. I trade stock online. Is this going to be banned with the banning of transfers to online poker accounts ? I've been much more successful with poker than gambling on stocks !