Hey Fcp Guys... Care To Explain This?

When I signed up for FCP, I used a unique email address for it. I have never used the address before or since, not once. So why am I getting the following paypal phishing attempt sent to that same address?There are only two plausible explanations: a. FCP sold the address to someone (I actually find thing sort of unlikely given that it's a phisher and not a spammer) or...b. FCP has piss-poor security and the address was somehow stolen. This might also lend credence to the rash of Neteller attacks being related to FCP. Oh, before any of you say that it's probably due to poor security on my end and the phisher got it that way, I'll say two things. First, I have a degree in computer science and I've managed security on unix, windows, and mac servers for networks of tens of thousands of people. I am extremely well-versed in computer and network security. Second, if someone COULD hack my computer to get the address, why would they need to bother phishing for my information?So which is it FCP guys?Jeffpaypal.png

Is this a free webmail account such as hotmail, yahoo?
Good point, I was just getting ready to update my post about this.The email account is on a server that I manage personally. There's not another human in the world with access to it. Essentially, I am my own email provider, and I'm pretty sure I didn't sell it.Jeff
Good point, I was just getting ready to update my post about this.The email account is on a server that I manage personally. There's not another human in the world with access to it. Essentially, I am my own email provider, and I'm pretty sure I didn't sell it.Jeff
Your forum account is from March, 05 - when did you create your email account?
So maybe they sold it...who cares? Delete it and move on with more important things in life.
It's important because if they didn't sell it and it was stolen, it's likely that's the same way all these folks' neteller account details got out.Jeff
Your forum account is from March, 05 - when did you create your email account?
I created that address the same day. I do this for every site that requires email registration for exactly this purpose.Jeff
It's important because if they didn't sell it and it was stolen, it's likely that's the same way all these folks' neteller account details got out.Jeff
It's likely the player database is stored on OnGame's servers. If it's the same email address I'm seeing you've registered with the forum, I can assure we havn't sold this database to anyone, nor will we. That database is stored in house but I don't manage player accounts for the software, that's a question for Bob (fcp info). He's doing the AHL Draft tonight with Daniel so highly doubt he's available.Send him a private message with your concern and he'll get back to when he can.
I don't mean to speak for Governator, Kdawg, or anyone... but...This could be related to the breach FCP had afew months ago.
I wish FCP had its own network and no association with ongame. I think the security issues are probably coming from ongame's end. Maybe daniel should have stuck with poker mountain...oh well..
I actually received the same email about six times this week, though Gmail put it directly into my Spam folder. The weird thing was, they were all addressed to different people.
theyere sent to random email address. i get them at least 10 times a week at my 3 email addresses
Couldn't it be they just send them out to all sorts of random email addresses using a program that just thinks of every possible email addresses?
even webmaster@clownpenis.fart?
Couldn't it be they just send them out to all sorts of random email addresses using a program that just thinks of every possible email addresses?
This is common with @yahoo.com, @hotmail.com, @gmail.com kind of addresses. The spammers will basically send e-mail to every possible combination of letters and numbers. If the address is on a domain name that isn't used for much it's pretty unlikely.If you use names like:joeFCP@yourdomain.com for FCP andjoeYahoo@yourdomain.com for Yahoo andjoe2P2@yourdomain.com for 2+2 etc then that's a possible way for spammers to get at all your e-mail addresses from having one but again pretty unlikely.

This is a response I posted to a message in the FCP Poker Forum about this issue. We can't rule out some player's e-mail addresses being found when the forum was hacked into a few months back as the hackers would have had access to e-mail addresses. The hackers did not have access to the forum passwords as we don't even have access to them and the forum and poker accounts are totally separate and not connected in any way. We haven't provided our e-mail database to any other companies other then the On Game Network. That being said there's no question that some spammers do have some FCP e-mail addresses.The most likely way that the spammer received your e-mail address is via a Network Sniffer that is installed somewhere on one of the servers located between our e-mail server and your e-mail server on the internet. If one were on a server while we were sending out a mass e-mail they would get a number of FCP addresses.Since 99% of e-mail traffic is not encrypted a malicous Network Sniffer could be designed to datamine the e-mail addresses of the traffic that is passing through that part of the internet and then used to spam those addresses. Once your e-mail address is in the hands of the spammers the genie is out of the bottle and you'll probably continue to receive an increasing amount of spam.