Strat Tournament On Stars

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who calls preflop?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)UTG (t90)MP (t3015)Button (t1115)SB (t2910)Actuary (t3310)Preflop: Actuary is BB with ac.gif, tc.gif. UTG raises to t90 All In, MP calls t90, 1 fold, SB raises to t270, Actuary foldsUTG: PokeHerPros aka IQcrashMP: Jas II aka goheelssb: aucuno way right?**************So flop comesAd 7c Ts ( 660 pot )SB (aucu) leads for 210MP (goheels) Raises to 1000SB: "KK" and folds.I see the flop and puke, then I see that goheels has 77 and I'm relieved, then the river is an Ace! But my question is: Why did you raise so much goheels ? You're either killed by AA/TT in which case you have to go broke, or you are way ahead of AT/AK/AQ/QQ/KK/ etc.just wondering.man..I woulda had a stack!
Good point, If he would have just smooth called me or min raised I would have a problem instead of an easy fold.
What about a raise and a CB automatically makes you think overpair? Did you not think I would CB into 3 players? I'm asking b/c clearly I need to do something to disguise my hand/vary my play.
I give you credit for a big pair because your are CB into three players. For all I know you could be c-betting here with AKo but if you are I'm not too worried about it.. I'd rather take more chances when I'm the aggressor with my play. I don't think there is anything you did particularly wrong where you would need to vary your play. Overall I think you actually played the hand fine and its often tough not to double up Chris on that hand. To tell you the truth I very rarely C-bet into 3 players.. from my experience it usually ends up in building a big pot against multiple opponents without a hand.
who calls preflop?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)UTG (t90)MP (t3015)Button (t1115)SB (t2910)Actuary (t3310)Preflop: Actuary is BB with ac.gif, tc.gif. UTG raises to t90 All In, MP calls t90, 1 fold, SB raises to t270, Actuary foldsUTG: PokeHerPros aka IQcrashMP: Jas II aka goheelssb: aucuno way right?**************So flop comesAd 7c Ts ( 660 pot )SB (aucu) leads for 210MP (goheels) Raises to 1000SB: "KK" and folds.I see the flop and puke, then I see that goheels has 77 and I'm relieved, then the river is an Ace! But my question is: Why did you raise so much goheels ? You're either killed by AA/TT in which case you have to go broke, or you are way ahead of AT/AK/AQ/QQ/KK/ etc.just wondering.man..I woulda had a stack!
I probably call pre-flop but Ima sucker for a flop.
I don't know how you could have the balls to push with that hand. Very nice play. That turn bet of mine was designed to look like I was giving you slightly bad odds for a possible draw that you may have now since it was the 2nd spade and it put a 9 and a 10 together. Most of the time people fold on the turn in that sutuation. I know I would if somebody did to me what I did to you. I would have picked up on the size of the bet. But then again I wouldnt have tried to steal the blinds in the first level with 10-2o.I'm glad you at least had a pair though. I knew it was a pissing contest and I was getting outplayed, but at least you had a better hand than me. Btw, I had K5o.Next time I'm a rock early.
Good to see that you are about as sick as me, lol. If you didn't notice from my play thoughtout the tournament I play a lot of hands, especially in position. As soon as you raised me on the flop I was fairly certain you were making a move, it was just a matter of whether to push the flop or wait for the turn. It would have been interesting to see what happened had a K come on the turn.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)Phil Logan (t1045)MP1 (t1330)Actuary (t2115)CO (t3950)Button (t1910)SB (t1555)BB (t1935)UTG (t5660)Preflop: Actuary is MP2 with qc.gif, ah.gif. 1 fold, Phil Logan raises to t450, 1 fold, Actuary ?
..and finally.. I would have pushed as you did here Actuary. Phil seemed to have a pretty wide range of raising hands as I had seen him raise 78o and a few weirder hands early although with half his chips I doubt he is raising one of those hands here. I certainly think a lot of weaker aces are in his range though as well as hands like KQ, KJ etc.

Tremomey, what were your thoughts during this hand? What did you put me on, why? Etc....I'll show what I had after we discuss the hand.Game #6444154323PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)BB (t1590)Hero (t1490)MP1 (t1500)MP2 (t2030)CO (t1660)Button (t810)SB (t1420)Preflop: Hero is UTG with ?? Hero raises to t80, 1 fold, MP2 calls t80, 4 folds.Flop: (t190) 5spade.gif, 6diamond.gif, 2diamond.gif(2 players)Hero bets t100, MP2 raises to t325, Hero folds.Final Pot: t615

Tremomey, what were your thoughts during this hand? What did you put me on, why? Etc....I'll show what I had after we discuss the hand.Game #6444154323PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)BB (t1590)Hero (t1490)MP1 (t1500)MP2 (t2030)CO (t1660)Button (t810)SB (t1420)Preflop: Hero is UTG with ?? Hero raises to t80, 1 fold, MP2 calls t80, 4 folds.Flop: (t190) 5spade.gif, 6diamond.gif, 2diamond.gif(2 players)Hero bets t100, MP2 raises to t325, Hero folds.Final Pot: t615
I figured that was a standard c-bet.. figured you had overs, I raise, you fold, I win pot. What did you think I had?
I figured that was a standard c-bet.. figured you had overs, I raise, you fold, I win pot. What did you think I had?
I was thinking you had mid pocket pair, 55-99. Didn't think you would re-raise with a flush draw there.edit: yes, I had overs, AQo. Good call.This is where I tend to struggle. Good cards, miss the flop....... I'm typically lost. I do the standard c-bet thing, some times it works, alot of times it doesn't.Should I pop that c-bet up a little?
I was thinking you had mid pocket pair, 55-99. Didn't think you would re-raise with a flush draw there.edit: yes, I had overs, AQo. Good call.This is where I tend to struggle. Good cards, miss the flop....... I'm typically lost. I do the standard c-bet thing, some times it works, alot of times it doesn't.Should I pop that c-bet up a little?
No because your risking a bigger % of your stack when a lesser amount will aquire the same objectiveEarly on, actually, now that I look at the specifics of the hand, 140 wouldn't hurt..Its not a larger percentage of your stack and it probably gets more folds..But later in tourneys when blinds are higher, I really try to keep my c/bets 1/2 pot sized, whether I miss or not
Sometimes a big raise actually can disguise your big hand better then a smooth call. Why is he raising so much? What did he call an all in with and then a reraise? I actually thought it would be tough to put me on an A right there. What Ace fits that action...AQ maybe, prob not? I would rather call with 89 then AQ.There was a nice side pot at the time and I was hoping I was up against AK or he would put me on a bluff since no Ace really made that much sense, obviously it didn't work. What would a smooth call or min raise represent here besides a huge hand? Ohh and fold AT every time to that action, don't forget I'm still behind you.
I would have raised there with a flush draw as well. The c-bet is fine, the only move you can really make differently is to come back over the top but that takes a lot of balls and a great read that I'm weak. Here is the actual hand from me..Seat 1: Phil Logan (1590 in chips) Seat 2: fan1080 (1490 in chips) Seat 3: PokeHerPros (1500 in chips) Seat 4: Tremomey (2030 in chips) Seat 5: gobears (1660 in chips) Seat 6: danny2271 (810 in chips) Seat 9: ChrisRichey (1420 in chips) ChrisRichey: posts small blind 10Phil Logan: posts big blind 20*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Tremomey [9c 6c]fan1080: raises 60 to 80Tremomey said, "<-- very rarely folds preflop"PokeHerPros: folds Tremomey: calls 80gobears: folds danny2271: folds ChrisRichey: folds Phil Logan: folds *** FLOP *** [5s 6d 2d]fan1080: bets 100Tremomey: raises 225 to 325fan1080: folds Tremomey collected 390 from potTremomey: doesn't show hand
Nice handYour hand is also where I could better my game. I'm way to weak when I hit a flop like you did there, and certainly wouldn't have thought about re-raising in that spot. Well done.
I'm with you.In my opinion, though, it's really being good at knowing when someone does play back at you, how to adjust. Tremomey has to stay on his toes as others adjust to his play. I admire that style as I also think you get to learn faster that way.I"m going to learn a lot from you all playing these, as making moves just doesn't seem to really be neccessary in my low buy in STT"s.
I'm with you.In my opinion, though, it's really being good at knowing when someone does play back at you, how to adjust. Tremomey has to stay on his toes as others adjust to his play. I admire that style as I also think you get to learn faster that way.I"m going to learn a lot from you all playing these, as making moves just doesn't seem to really be neccessary in my low buy in STT"s.
As you can tell, my general style of play is very loose and aggressive. I have the ability to switch gears often though so I'm not always playing this crazy. Honestly and I'm not bragging or anything but it takes a while to be able to play a lot of hands postflop without crossing that complete donkline. I have tried out many different styles and strategies over many many hands against many different opponents and by no means am I an expert. As Actuary said though as well, the more hands you play postflop, the more you will learn what works and what doesn't work and you'll start being able to read people better postflop. Everyone has their own style though and some styles work better for some people than others. As Actuary said, most times you don't have to make any kind of moves because generally speaking no one else is making moves against you. If you have a decent foundation for good pre-flop play and don't get yourself in too much trouble postflop then you can be a winning player at the >50 buy in SnG's.

Also, if you wanna see a good example in action of "floating" like I was talking about earlier, watch the $530 WCOOP event 2 replay on Pokerstars.There is a hand with about 6 players left where lasbas raises in EP with AQo and LUNOID calls on the button with A8d. The flop comes J 5 3 rainbow or something like that and lasbas makes a continuation bet and LUNOID calls. The turn is a blank lasbas checks, and I say to myself that LUNOID is going to bet about 350,000 which was like 1/2 the pot and 1/3 of lasbas remaining chips. LUNOID actually bets 360,000 and lasbas thinks for a while and mucks. Very nice play by LUNOID.

Also, if you wanna see a good example in action of "floating" like I was talking about earlier, watch the $530 WCOOP event 2 replay on Pokerstars.There is a hand with about 6 players left where lasbas raises in EP with AQo and LUNOID calls on the button with A8d. The flop comes J 5 3 rainbow or something like that and lasbas makes a continuation bet and LUNOID calls. The turn is a blank lasbas checks, and I say to myself that LUNOID is going to bet about 350,000 which was like 1/2 the pot and 1/3 of lasbas remaining chips. LUNOID actually bets 360,000 and lasbas thinks for a while and mucks. Very nice play by LUNOID.
I think that he was at the same table as me in the $1050 WCOOP NLHE. I noticed that he would often call a CB and then take the pot away on the turn.One one hand, I raised with AQ from the hijack and LUNOID called from the the BB. He checked the flop which totally missed me, I fired a CB and he called. The turn card was a blank, he checked again, I fired a second bullet with ace high and he folded. In that situation, you have to decide on the flop whether you're in for at least two bullets if the flop missed you because a player like LUNOID will not give up the pot without some resistance. Also, if I had been OOP on that hand, I wouldn't have fired a CB at all with ace high against a player like that.
I think that he was at the same table as me in the $1050 WCOOP NLHE. I noticed that he would often call a CB and then take the pot away on the turn.One one hand, I raised with AQ from the hijack and LUNOID called from the the BB. He checked the flop which totally missed me, I fired a CB and he called. The turn card was a blank, he checked again, I fired a second bullet with ace high and he folded. In that situation, you have to decide on the flop whether you're in for at least two bullets if the flop missed you because a player like LUNOID will not give up the pot without some resistance. Also, if I had been OOP on that hand, I wouldn't have fired a CB at all with ace high against a player like that.
Yeah, playing a player like that is extremely difficult OOP. A lot of times you are handcuffed in these situations and you have to look for spots to pick up pots against them in the same manner. If you can get position on them in a hand you can do what you did and fire two bullets but it often takes a lot of heart and a great read to do that.
GG Guys..Here's what Ima do with my winnings... I'm gonna play a 50+5 MTT and if I make final table I'll send 1% of my winnings back to everyone who played.Deal.. I'll let you guys know when I'm playing so you can root me on
I'm playing a 50+5 PLHE tourney right now. If I make final table 1% of my winnings goes back to each player who played the strat tourney. It's on PS. TreIts small tourney.. so not too much return for everybody but its better than nothing.. maybe i'll give 2% to everyone... we'll see what happens.

Sorry guys.. got knocked out 86th because I couldn't beat this one horrible donk in any pot.

you guys want to do another one of these sometime?
There is another one scheduled for this Wednesday already.. check a little further back in the thread