Help Me Out On The Weird Game I Play

Hey All,I play live in a club with some weird rules. I have been beating the game for $30/hr over the last year but was recently thinking that I could improve this if I could figure out the correct play a little better.In essence it is an 8 handed game that allows 3 bets of up to $10 preflop (with $1/2 blinds), followed by unlimited and uncapped bets post flop. The guys who run the game put in the pre flop limit to encourage action as they are really there to play and see a lot of flops.The other funky rule is you only have to reraise the amount of the big blind regardless of the size of the raise in front of you (i.e. UTG bets $10, MP raises to $12, button raises to $14 - no further raises allowed). I have found that this structure really limits the value of hands like 88-JJ, but I would think it raises the value of hands like 67s although I am struggling with the mathematical basis for this.Finally the action junkies who play this game think nothing of calling a maximum raise or even a max raise and reraise with virtually any two cards. It is not uncommon to have 6 players see the flop with $150+ in the pot already.My strategy thus far has been as follows:AA,KK,QQ,AK - raise and reraise the maxJJ-22 - limp where possible. Call any raises (or now I tend to stick in a min reraise to limit any action behind me) that give me 7-1 or better.Suited connectors down to 45 - limp in early position - call up to a $5 bet in late positionGapped connectors from 46 to 7-10 - limp if possible. Call a small raise in position.AQ,AJ, KQs - raise the max if first to act, call up to $10 if in late position.Fold everything else.Post flop I only play top pair or better, flush and straight draws I play when the odds are favorable.Are there any spots I am leaving money on the table?

AQ,AJ, KQs - raise the max if first to act, call up to $10 if in late position.
if everyone's calling everything, raising these early seems like it would be counter-productive. (although a $2 raise to limit the action might be worth something.)I could be wrong though, and I usually am.
Hey All,I play live in a club with some weird rules. I have been beating the game for $30/hr over the last year but was recently thinking that I could improve this if I could figure out the correct play a little better.In essence it is an 8 handed game that allows 3 bets of up to $10 preflop (with $1/2 blinds), followed by unlimited and uncapped bets post flop. The guys who run the game put in the pre flop limit to encourage action as they are really there to play and see a lot of flops.
Is this game for real? It just seems like a really stupid variation of limit poker...A really stupid one.
Is this game for real? It just seems like a really stupid variation of limit poker...A really stupid one.
It's not my game of choice but since I don't live in Vegas my options are rather limited for live play. That, coupled with the fact that there is no rake (the club makes it's money off of booze and food) and the general loose play does make it a profitable game. I also find that my post flop play has improved dramatically since you regularly find yourself in the situation where people are playing any two cards.
if everyone's calling everything, raising these early seems like it would be counter-productive. (although a $2 raise to limit the action might be worth something.)I could be wrong though, and I usually am.
Good thought. I am probably going to make more money when an A hits the board too.
It's not my game of choice but since I don't live in Vegas my options are rather limited for live play. That, coupled with the fact that there is no rake (the club makes it's money off of booze and food) and the general loose play does make it a profitable game. I also find that my post flop play has improved dramatically since you regularly find yourself in the situation where people are playing any two cards.Good thought. I am probably going to make more money when an A hits the board too.
Play a lot of suited connectors and such for cheap because you will always be getting odds to draw out on them if they can only raise $2.
so preflop the total amount to play could be $30, right? $10+$10+$10At first, I was thinking $10 total from 3 bets/raises.So. HOW DEEP ARE THE STACKS?
Ahh. The other wrinkle in the game.Starting stack is $60. ($480 on the table - $60x8). Rebuys are very common so by the middle of the evening there is usually about $2500 in play. I try and arrive right at the beginning in order not to be shortstacked.
Ahh. The other wrinkle in the game.Starting stack is $60. ($480 on the table - $60x8). Rebuys are very common so by the middle of the evening there is usually about $2500 in play. I try and arrive right at the beginning in order not to be shortstacked.
I swear this is the weirdest fcukin game that anyone would actually play...
Sounds like heaven for donkeys. I would recommend continuing to play in this game. The swings might be sick though.Please send me directions to this game.
HAHAHA, yeah me too! Send me the invite, I want to play the donkeys too! I need to build up my bankroll. Ok, on a serious level now.The game just seems like a funky spread limit game, except with controlled raises of $2 increments. That is just weird. I would try to see cheap flops with good drawing hands, since you will always be able to call down to the river to outdraw beacuse of your awesome pot odds they will be forced to lay you.
HAHAHA, yeah me too! Send me the invite, I want to play the donkeys too! I need to build up my bankroll. Ok, on a serious level now.The game just seems like a funky spread limit game, except with controlled raises of $2 increments. That is just weird. I would try to see cheap flops with good drawing hands, since you will always be able to call down to the river to outdraw beacuse of your awesome pot odds they will be forced to lay you.
I must admit there are a few people in the game who can't let go of a flush or OESD to save their lives. The swings used to be sick back when I first starting playing. I'd like to think now that my post flop play has improved to the point where I am able to lay down hands in marginal situations. Thanks for the advice .
I must admit there are a few people in the game who can't let go of a flush or OESD to save their lives. The swings used to be sick back when I first starting playing. I'd like to think now that my post flop play has improved to the point where I am able to lay down hands in marginal situations. Thanks for the advice .
Seems like you have to play this game like Omaha. Draw to the nuts only. May 2nd and 3rd nuts depending on the betting/reads.

If everyone is calling preflop, raise the max from every position with almost every hand you consider to be playable. On the flop with short stacks, you'll want to push with any good hand and call a push with all draws and good hands.I don't understand why the swings would be worse in this game than others.

This really isn't that "crazy" of a structure. It's spread-limit preflop and NL postflop. What's so hard about that?
I don't get it either. There's kind of a dumb rule about a min-raise of $2, but other than that it reminds me of that Poker Dome show where they play pot limit preflop and no limit postflop. Other than that it's No Fold-em poker...I'd try to keep the pot relatively small pre-flop except with real premium hands, and then push/call anything decent.
I don't get it either. There's kind of a dumb rule about a min-raise of $2, but other than that it reminds me of that Poker Dome show where they play pot limit preflop and no limit postflop. Other than that it's No Fold-em poker...I'd try to keep the pot relatively small pre-flop except with real premium hands, and then push/call anything decent.
Get the pot big with hands that figure to have an edge, not merely premium hands. Value raise incessantly against loose callers preflop.