Playing Deepstack Tourn Way Above Bankroll

Hey guys, Have been looking around web for advice on deep stack strategy and your forum seems very helpful so thought would give it a shot.I have recently qualified for an online tournament that is WAY above what I would usually play. I usually play micro stake MTTs and have had decent success winning some with 100-300 players. Also these are pretty standard in structure, 1500 chips 12min blinds etc. $25 MTT is highest I have played in.Details of event I qualified for:$2500 buy in5000 starting chips30min Levels (starting at 10/20)I expect it to get about 300 runners. Questions I have:Am I going to bump into MUCH better players? or just lot of qualifiers?How is best to play such a slow structure? Should I sit tight early? Or try to pick up chips while other do that? Any other tips/info/help appreciated.Thanks,AdamUK

Hey guys, Have been looking around web for advice on deep stack strategy and your forum seems very helpful so thought would give it a shot.I have recently qualified for an online tournament that is WAY above what I would usually play. I usually play micro stake MTTs and have had decent success winning some with 100-300 players. Also these are pretty standard in structure, 1500 chips 12min blinds etc. $25 MTT is highest I have played in.Details of event I qualified for:$2500 buy in5000 starting chips30min Levels (starting at 10/20)I expect it to get about 300 runners. Questions I have:Am I going to bump into MUCH better players? or just lot of qualifiers?How is best to play such a slow structure? Should I sit tight early? Or try to pick up chips while other do that? Any other tips/info/help appreciated.Thanks,AdamUK
You'll have a mix of good players and satellite qualifiers. I never think radically changing your style is a good idea if its been reasonably successful, as yours has been (unless you just got hit by the deck to qualify).The big difference between this tourney and what youre used to is the deeper stacks which makes playing weaker starting hands with big potential (eg suited connectors) a better bet thanwith shallow stacks.The problem is that this style requires post flop skills that you may not have developed. If you play them similar to small pairs (flop a monster or fold) you avoid a lot of the post flop pitfalls, but you potentially limit yourself to only 3 board cards when the 4th or 5th may win, if you manage the hand properly.The most important thing is to set a goal. Since this is way out of your normal br, an in the money finish may affect your future poker life signficantly, and playing tighter near the bubble (assuming you have a decent margin above the bubble) could be more correct for you than for someone who alredy is playing at their comfort level.

I like to see flops when I'm deep and play postflop.The deepest tourney I ever played in was a $1k buy in event, starting stack $10k, starting level 25/25, and 30 min levels. This was a 2 day online event, so really great structure.I believe in building a stack early by playing pots, so you dnot have to rely on catching cards late, although obv you do have to catch your fair share of hands during a tourney to win...anyways, if you consider yourself above avg. playing postflop, then do so. Play your position well, and put people to a test.One of the biggest pots I played was on the first day and it was a really "big" hand for me. It was basically the hand I put myself in on that meant life or death for me.I had been up and down all day, and had just built back up to 2nd in chips on the table. The chip leader at the table open raised with 99 and I called wtih 9 :club: 8 :D The flop was 9x 6 :D 7 :D so I flopped tp + fd + oesd, he bet out, I raised, he 3 bet, and I pushed. During the hand I actually put him on an overpair, so obv I want to get it all in there, given the hand I thought he had. Turns out he had a set, but at that point I'm still only like a 60/40 dog or so...this was a huge pot as obv the chip leaders were going at it. I did end up getting lucky and hitting my straight on the turn, and went on to finish 7th in the tourney.I'm not saying you "need" to play hands like this..but I believe in putting yourself in a position to win, and taking calculated chances like that are obv how you do it. I'm sure you know this..but I'm just saying...don't play scared..i played the event on a 4k roll, so obv I was short too. I had deep stack experience from playing live tournies and I was confident enough that I could do well.Just focus on making good decisions and making plays on pots that no one wants. I picked up a ton of little dinky pots in spots where I 'knew' I could...I personally dont advise just playing tight and waiting, cause that's what a lot of others are going to do. I'd advise playing position as well as possible, taking flops early when you can and think you have substantial implied odds if you hit...if chit goes sour early, you have enough time to tighten up a bit and play more "str8" forward.either way, if you are posting here, you obv are a thinking and improving player..if nothing else, just play your game and hope that you run decent and avoid getting unlucky.good luck, bro...it will hopefully be a fun and good learning experience either way.- Jordan

The biggest tourney I've played was that $530 WCOOP event the other night, but I still think the most important thing is not to play scared. There's going to be a lot of other qualifiers just like you that the money means a lot to that will be folding too many hands when the blinds start getting high, and that will be playing way more passively than they should. You really need to take advantage of this, by going after more pots postflop in the early stages, and by stealing liberally once the blinds get high. Don't be afraid of getting all-in on a coinflip or even of getting in as a 2/1 dog if that's what will eventually happen if you keep stealing. It takes lots of luck to win a tournament regardless (or make a big cash); all you can do is give yourself a good chance.

The biggest tourney I've played was that $530 WCOOP event the other night, but I still think the most important thing is not to play scared. There's going to be a lot of other qualifiers just like you that the money means a lot to that will be folding too many hands when the blinds start getting high, and that will be playing way more passively than they should. You really need to take advantage of this, by going after more pots postflop in the early stages, and by stealing liberally once the blinds get high. Don't be afraid of getting all-in on a coinflip or even of getting in as a 2/1 dog if that's what will eventually happen if you keep stealing. It takes lots of luck to win a tournament regardless (or make a big cash); all you can do is give yourself a good chance.
I agree with this.I'm the same, the two biggest tournies I've ever played are the two $530 WCOOP events I played.Seriously, don't play scared. If you are observant enough, you will be able to tell who the qualifiers were, and who's weak, etc. I know in the other thread, you said it wasn't the Stars ME as I though, but to anyone playing in anything on the big sites who are worried about this, when I play, I usually leave http://thepokerdb.com open so I can search quickly and see who usually plays the $200s, etc, vs the guys who have a few cashes in the $10s.Personally, I didn't find the overall level of play to be great in either event I played, although the PL was better than the NL tourney. Confidence is key. I know I have a ton to learn about tournies, but I was confident I could compete even in a high-buyin event like these, so I didn't play scared at all, even when I was confronted with players like PearlJammer, PMJackson21, Micon, GambleAB at my tables.- Zach
If its Stars then it is sellable although W$ go for a pretty substantial discount compared to T$.
90% on Cashmanbrian if you email him and tell him you are an FCP poster... so it's not an awful deal... that's until the end of the WCOOP...

Thanks for all replies so far some helpful stuff here.The event is on Ladbrokes Poker and is Ladbrokes European Online Champs of Poker Main Event (1st October)I am unable to sell my seat, but this doesn't bother me much, means I get a chance at taking a shot at some big cash that usually I wouldnt.I definetly intend to not played this scared, I'm confident in my ability and definently going to use the fact I qualified for free to my advantage around the bubble when most will tighten up. General advice seems to be to play confidently, play suited connectors and 1 gaps early when stacks are big, be able to get off some medium hands early on if whole stack is at risk.

Thanks for all replies so far some helpful stuff here.The event is on Ladbrokes Poker and is Ladbrokes European Online Champs of Poker Main Event (1st October)I am unable to sell my seat, but this doesn't bother me much, means I get a chance at taking a shot at some big cash that usually I wouldnt.I definetly intend to not played this scared, I'm confident in my ability and definently going to use the fact I qualified for free to my advantage around the bubble when most will tighten up. General advice seems to be to play confidently, play suited connectors and 1 gaps early when stacks are big, be able to get off some medium hands early on if whole stack is at risk.
Early round play, stacks will be deep, so you can almost play like a cash game. See some flops cheaply with SC's and small pairs. Make hands, don't be concerned with making moves or bluffing or anything like that. Play early for value.Later on, play according to your M and your position, etc. Keep track of the players who frequently raise in position, etc, and who routinely fold when reraised or give up on the flop. This is when you need to accumulate to make a run.However, don't be worried about having to play short stacked or anything. With these long slow structures, patience pays off more than anything.The $530 PL tourney I played, my M hovered between 7 and 10 for a huge portion of the tournament. Go ahead and be patient and wait for the cards to come to you. All you need is a hand or two in a row and you can jump up the ladder very quickly, if you don't manage to accumulate a lot earlier on.Best of luck.- Zach
If you have not read Harrington On Holdem 1 and 2 yet, you should try to pick them up and spend some time reading before the tourney.GL and let us know how you do.
I agree, the Harrington series is definitely a must read to tune up mtt skills. Re-read 1 and 2 if you've already read them, you'll brush up and give yourself confidence going into the tourney.In the early going with deepstacks, "play like harrington 1 recommends" is about the best advice you can get.
If you have not read Harrington On Holdem 1 and 2 yet, you should try to pick them up and spend some time reading before the tourney.GL and let us know how you do.
Yeah I have read both these and have book 3 on order at the mo. Both a good read and definetly the basis for my MTT style.For all of you that requested updates on how I do, I'd be more than happy to! I'm sure I'll have some time to burn during the (hopefully) long tournament.Thanks,Adam
Got some results for you all...Came 39 of 368 for $4140! (Paid top 40)My biggest cash to date, very nice considering I qualified for free!Thanks for all the advice.Good luck,Adam
Congrats. How much did you qualify for?I bet you were sweating the bubble lol.