Anybody see this show on CBS at 8? I thought it was a great show. So premise is nuclear bombs go off (or something)... small town survives and want to know whats up. Would like to hear some opinions.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody see this show on CBS at 8? I thought it was a great show. So premise is nuclear bombs go off (or something)... small town survives and want to know whats up. Would like to hear some opinions.
yeah, i watched it. not sure what to think of it. it's obviously trying to mimic the general idea of watching lost, where we know what happened, we can see what's going on, but we have no idea why it happened, and outside of what we can see, we have no idea what's going on. i thought it was a decent set-up show, and will probably watch it over the next couple weeks and decide whether to follow it.

I recorded it, just watched it last night.The tried pulling some obvous emotinal strings, but I like a lot of the actors who are in it. I'm going to keep watching for the next few weeks to see what it will be like.

I watched it on OnDemand since I missed it last week. It was pretty good. I am curious what is going to happen. I thought it more like Invasion but written better when I saw it. We will see how it goes.

I saw it back in the 80s when it was a miniseries called The Day After or something like that.
The Day After was actually a made for TV movie, just a bit different than a series. I'm betting you haven't watched the show, you probably read a similar newpaper article to the one I read today where it was comparing it to other post nuclear setting movies/shows.Anyway, episode two tonight. Fairly predictible I thought (exp the shootout), but they are doing just enough to keep me interested in the next weeks show.
The Day After was actually a made for TV movie, just a bit different than a series. I'm betting you haven't watched the show, you probably read a similar newpaper article to the one I read today where it was comparing it to other post nuclear setting movies/shows.Anyway, episode two tonight. Fairly predictible I thought (exp the shootout), but they are doing just enough to keep me interested in the next weeks show.
Actually I have seen about half the first episode and most of tonights episode (yes I am a problem channel surfer sometimes). I got the same impression of fairly predictable but doing just enough to keep me interested. About the only intriguing plotline going is the "cop from St. Louis" as far as what his real back story might be and why did he lie about the radio IMHO.
Actually I have seen about half the first episode and most of tonights episode (yes I am a problem channel surfer sometimes). I got the same impression of fairly predictable but doing just enough to keep me interested. About the only intriguing plotline going is the "cop from St. Louis" as far as what his real back story might be and why did he lie about the radio IMHO.
Yea I don't get why he lied, unless the news was so bad he didn't want to worry the town while they were all running for shelter.If I remember right, he put tacks on...DenverAtlantaPhillyChicagoSan Diego and he was still going...
Yea I don't get why he lied, unless the news was so bad he didn't want to worry the town while they were all running for shelter.If I remember right, he put tacks on...DenverAtlantaPhillyChicagoSan Diego and he was still going...
Yeah that was my thought too. I'm also thinking he wasmore than a cop. My guess is he has some intelligence/national security type background, saw it coming and that's why he's out in the boonies. His skill set (radios, fallout protection etc) just seems to say he's got more going training-wise than what he's letting on.*edited because i shouldn't post when i'm not paying attention*
I would guess the reason he didn't tell was because if that info got out it would create a mass panic that would serve no good at all.
I still think he would pass it off to the Mayor and let him decide.

I read the description for this weeks show and we'll get a satellite photo showing the extent of the nuclear attacks. I wonder if the show will morph into a road warrior type scenario?

I read the description for this weeks show and we'll get a satellite photo showing the extent of the nuclear attacks. I wonder if the show will morph into a road warrior type scenario?
Wonder where they are going to get that from.
  • 2 weeks later...

All they got is that looping feed of what they think is Cinncinati getting exploded.I cant figure out at all what the black guy is up to. And someone needs to just start shooting the retarded teenagers who are trying to have parties in the middle of a nuclear holocost.

I really think this show has potential but unfortunately the ratings are sooooo bad that it probably won't return. This Hawkings character is annoying me
Heros and Jericho got renewed for another season.

**SPOILER ALERT****DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T VIEWED 10/18 EPISODE**I'm growing a little irritated with the show. They are manufacturing drama by making everyone a drooling idiot (firemen that don't know how to put out a fire). I grew up in a small town in Kansas and if such an event were to occur the town wouldn't be operating so willy nilly. I know, I know, suspension of disbelief etc etc. But, come on, the power finally comes back on and the first thing that the mayor's wife does is vacuum the living room carpet? Puhleeeeeze. Furthermore, while us small town midwesterners do like our beer, the only place where people gather wouldn't be the local tavern. There would most assuredly be a town meeting (in a school gym, an auditorium, or some other appropriate venue) within in 24 hours, and some sort of delegation of duties assigned. This show seems to be written by people that have never been to that big chunk of land between the east and west coasts, except maybe a flight layover in Denver, Dallas, or Chicago much less researched any sort of sociology of small communities. The bias that views midwesterners as bumbling hillbillies that need their hand held to make a decision or form any sort of coherent plan is really getting old.[/gripe]I knew Hawkins was a spook. But why was his initial screen in Russian and the screen at the end of the episode showed a U.S. Seal? Intriguing.***END SPOILER***

All I can say is my jaw absolutely hit the floor when those missiles flew off into the night. One of the coolest things I've ever seen on a TV show, just an amazing way to end the episode.

I'm really perplexed by Hawkins.....can't figure out where they are going with this
that's about the only reason i'm still tuning in, that and larger story (nukes) are the only plotlines that i have any interest in. the rest is blah, i mean, if any one of the characters besides hawkins died in the next episode i really wouldn't care. the "love interest" plotlines are soooo ham-handed and obvious. the irs gal is gonna bang the guy whose house she was there to forclose, the popular girl and the geek grocery boy are gonna hook up etc etc.
All I can say is my jaw absolutely hit the floor when those missiles flew off into the night. One of the coolest things I've ever seen on a TV show, just an amazing way to end the episode.
Yea that completely shocked me, what a great cliffhanger to an episode. Next week should be interesting with people in a small town seeing missles launch toward presumably another country people will lose it. Keeping control in the town is going to be near impossible.Hawkins and Skeet's characters are by far the most interesting because not everything about them has been thrown out in the open yet. The love story with the brother really could have waited to be developed further down the road and right now is probably the most boring part of the show. I really dont have a problem with them hanging out at the tavern, it's the only public place with a satellite feed, so they have somewhat explained it. I'm trying to figure out how they haven't ran out of beer yet though.

Although the acting can be meh at times, I still really like this show. I'm glad it will be back for another season. Hawkins character is confusing me. Is he good is he bad? I have no clue.

**SPOILER ALERT****DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T VIEWED 10/18 EPISODE**I know, I know, suspension of disbelief etc etc. But, come on, the power finally comes back on and the first thing that the mayor's wife does is vacuum the living room carpet? Puhleeeeeze. Furthermore, while us small town midwesterners do like our beer, the only place where people gather wouldn't be the local tavern. There would most assuredly be a town meeting (in a school gym, an auditorium, or some other appropriate venue) within in 24 hours, and some sort of delegation of duties assigned.
The vaccuuming didn't bother me. She needed to keep busy. I know my grandmother would do the samething. She was doing dishes and cleaning the bathroom 4 hrs after my grandfather died. As said by someone else, the tavern has the satellite feed and it's a meeting place. There was a town meeting. In the morning after day 1. The duties seemed delegated to me. I don't want 15-20 mintues of this show having the mayor tell each person in town what their duty is. That is boring. The set up in ep 1 that the town meeting was taking place and the next ep it was done and people were set.
That was cool. Might ruin my alien invasion prediction, but that is fine.
Although the acting can be meh at times, I still really like this show. I'm glad it will be back for another season. Hawkins character is confusing me. Is he good is he bad? I have no clue.
The acting seems okay but the writing where the problem is. Most of these people are top notch actors but no matter how good you are if the writing and direction is bad, you will look bad. To go from this show and then onto Lost you can see a big difference between writing and direction.