Official Bruins Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm tempted to like Lucic, if only because he is so hated by both Serge and Dale.

You don't exactly watch hockey, do you?
yeah I do ,but not when my teams are out. I will watch the stanley cup final. I thought I heard it went into a 2nd overtime period but I was wrong as I just read it went just in 1 OT period, and almost headed into the 2nd overtime period with less than 1:14 to go left in the 1st OT. It must of been a very good game either way. Still a heart breaker for Ray. I will admit I lost touch with hockey over the last 3 years but, prior to that I could go back over 30 years in hockey with stats, players and know my stuff. If hamilton gets a team look out cause I will be back into the stats, and seraches again, and will come out a quoting lol
2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)1 Members: rcgs59this should be interesting...
yeah I do ,but not when my teams are out. I will watch the stanley cup final. I thought I heard it went into a 2nd overtime period but I was wrong as I just read it went just in 1 OT period, and almost headed into the 2nd overtime period with less than 1:14 to go left in the 1st OT. It must of been a very good game either way. Still a heart breaker for Ray. I will admit I lost touch with hockey over the last 3 years but, prior to that I could go back over 30 years in hockey with stats, players and know my stuff. If hamilton gets a team look out cause I will be back into the stats, and seraches again, and will come out a quoting lol
I was wrong

"The Carolina Hurricanes released a sobering piece of news this morning following Scott Walker's tumultuous series against the Boston Bruins that saw him sucker-punch Aaron Ward in Game 5 and then pot the OT game-winner in Game 7. Walker's wife, Julie, has cervical cancer, but the disease is treatable and she is expected to make a full recovery. Walker learned of his wife's diagnosis during the seven-game series against the B's. "My wife is an amazing person and we are looking forward to a positive outcome from this challenge,” said Walker on Saturday afternoon. “I will address the situation with the media, but my family would appreciate its privacy going forward."So...hmm, I feel a little bad for him.

I cant be bothered going back to find the post, but you know you were screwed Ray when Serge jumped on the Bruin bandwagon and proclaimed them the next cup champions... It's not your fault, Ray. Blame Serge

I cant be bothered going back to find the post, but you know you were screwed Ray when Serge jumped on the Bruin bandwagon and proclaimed them the next cup champions...It's not your fault, Ray. Blame Serge
I just saw this..Its official you are a loser....
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been kinda looking at some cap numbers, now that the FA frenzy is dying down a bit, seeing where some teams stand, etc.The Bruins are a curious case:They have 12 forwards under contract:Marc Savard $5,000,000Patrice Bergeron $4,750,000Michael Ryder $4,000,000David Krejci $3,750,000Marco Sturm $3,500,000Blake Wheeler $2,825,000Chuck Kobasew $2,333,333Mark Recchi $1,000,000Steve Begin $850,000Milan Lucic $850,000Byron Bitz $687,500Shawn Thornton $516,666 Also add in Vladimir Sobotka, as he's signed for a cap hit of $750k, if they wanted to carry a 13th forward.On defense, they only have 5 guys signed, who should be in the NHL:Zdeno Chara $7,500,000Dennis Wideman $3,937,500Aaron Ward $2,500,000Andrew Ference $1,400,000Mark Stuart $1,300,000They signed Johnny Boychuk as well, but given that it's a $500k deal, and he's 25 with only 5 games of NHL experience, I'm assuming he was an AHL depth move.In net, I'm making the assumption that Tuukka Rask is backing up Thomas this year. That might be a mistaken assumption, given his cap hit.Tim Thomas $5,000,000Tuukka Rask $3,200,000As a backup, Rask isn't going to make all of his bonuses, but the $2.35 million in potential bonuses has to stay on the books until they cannot be reached. The team has another $2.15 million or so tied up as bonuses in their other entry level deals as well, fwiw.So, adding that all up, the Bruins are $49,999 over the salary cap ceiling.And, you'll notice, that's without Phil Kessel, or Matt Hunwick, and regardless of what happens with Hunwick, they still need a 6th defenseman.It's going to be really interesting to see what they do, to figure this mess out.Looks to me like Kessel is not going to start the year as a Bruin unless a whole series of moves happen first. Even if they do trade him, they really can't take back any salary at all.

Been kinda looking at some cap numbers, now that the FA frenzy is dying down a bit, seeing where some teams stand, etc.The Bruins are a curious case:They have 12 forwards under contract:Marc Savard $5,000,000Patrice Bergeron $4,750,000Michael Ryder $4,000,000David Krejci $3,750,000Marco Sturm $3,500,000Blake Wheeler $2,825,000Chuck Kobasew $2,333,333Mark Recchi $1,000,000Steve Begin $850,000Milan Lucic $850,000Byron Bitz $687,500Shawn Thornton $516,666 Also add in Vladimir Sobotka, as he's signed for a cap hit of $750k, if they wanted to carry a 13th forward.On defense, they only have 5 guys signed, who should be in the NHL:Zdeno Chara $7,500,000Dennis Wideman $3,937,500Aaron Ward $2,500,000Andrew Ference $1,400,000Mark Stuart $1,300,000They signed Johnny Boychuk as well, but given that it's a $500k deal, and he's 25 with only 5 games of NHL experience, I'm assuming he was an AHL depth move.In net, I'm making the assumption that Tuukka Rask is backing up Thomas this year. That might be a mistaken assumption, given his cap hit.Tim Thomas $5,000,000Tuukka Rask $3,200,000As a backup, Rask isn't going to make all of his bonuses, but the $2.35 million in potential bonuses has to stay on the books until they cannot be reached. The team has another $2.15 million or so tied up as bonuses in their other entry level deals as well, fwiw.So, adding that all up, the Bruins are $49,999 over the salary cap ceiling.And, you'll notice, that's without Phil Kessel, or Matt Hunwick, and regardless of what happens with Hunwick, they still need a 6th defenseman.It's going to be really interesting to see what they do, to figure this mess out.Looks to me like Kessel is not going to start the year as a Bruin unless a whole series of moves happen first. Even if they do trade him, they really can't take back any salary at all.
What makes it even more interesting/weird is that the Bruins wanted to trade Kessel for Kaberle, who carried a 4.5M cap hit. They would still need to move something if they made that move, I don't know who it is on their roster they want to move, but it seems they have someone in mind.

I think the biggest thing is the bonuses. They're worth 4.5 million next year, and we know, barring a season-ending injury, Rask won't make his, and I think the other player who has bonuses would be Wheeler, and unless the Bruins lose half of their top 6, he's not going to sniff a scoring line.There's something called a "bonus cushion", which has something to do with how the teams can go over the cap by a certain number. I really don't understand how it works, though. I may have to research it later tonight. My understanding, though, was that on rookie contracts, bonuses counted against the cap until the point where they were physically impossible to achieve (ie, games started bonus). Most of the bonuses would stay on the books until the season ended, then, with like goals scored, assists, etc, because even though a guy isn't going to get 20 goals in the last 4 games, it's possible, so it can't be ruled out.With veteran players, over a certain age, who have bonuses, like Gary Roberts last season, the cap hit should be make those bonuses are tacked onto the following season's cap, not this year's.I don't really get it. I'll have to read up on the CBA or something. I'm sure the Bruins brass know what they're doing, so maybe they get to overspend by the amount of the bonuses they don't expect to have to pay out, like most of Rask's, etc.

I guess we figured it out.The Bruins have signed former Penguin/Oiler/Canuck backup goaltender Dany Sabourin to a 1-year deal.I'm sure this saves about $2.5 million in cap hit, since it'll leave Rask in the minors.

With veteran players, over a certain age, who have bonuses, like Gary Roberts last season, the cap hit should be make those bonuses are tacked onto the following season's cap, not this year's.I don't really get it. I'll have to read up on the CBA or something. I'm sure the Bruins brass know what they're doing, so maybe they get to overspend by the amount of the bonuses they don't expect to have to pay out, like most of Rask's, etc.
I think it's normally the bonuses can count against next year's cap hit except for this year (since it's the last year of the CBA).
I think it's normally the bonuses can count against next year's cap hit except for this year (since it's the last year of the CBA).
I don't think that's the case for rookie bonuses, but I've been wrong before. I think there's a distinction between ELC's and veteran bonuses. I am aware of what happened the previous season because of the potential reopening of the CBA, however.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Ray,you excited for the new season?You are my least hated team of all the teams in our division.Not saying much though when the other teams are Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo :club:

• 5 weeks later...
Way to go Chiarelli :club:
yes way to go...I think the trade worked out for both sides...Chiarelli was going to lose him anyway..He got good value..We got the best player in the trade..No matter what those draft picks turn into..Leafs will be better than Boston..Soon,,,very soon..
There's a video on TSN of the top 10 prospects for the 2010 draft and they say it will be a stacked top 10.
that might be..but i doubt there will be a guy like Kessel in the 10 area...I also think the Leafs will pick closer to 15