Do You Ever Just Want To...

reach across the poker table and strangle the life out of the player across the table from you? I do, and quite frequently as well.Why you ask? Well it's not because they drew out on me, that's not the reason at all. It's also not because they seem to be out playing me or because it seems they always have a big hand against me.It's because they're dumb. Just the plain fact that they're idiots. I'm talking about that guy who has seen a few WPT and WSOP broadcasts, maybe a Full Tilt Learn From the Pros show, and now thinks that he's god's gift to the poker table.This guy has heard a few bits of poker lingo like value bet, and semi-bluff, and is spouting them off like they have a daily quota of poker cliches they have to meet.These are the players who still think a race is exciting, even when they aren't involved in the hand. These guys stick around after they bust out of a tournament to see who wins, even though they were knocked out in the first level and they have no friends that are still in.I'm talking about the people who think checking down when a player is all in during a pot is an unwritten rule that cannot, under any circumstances, be broken...even when there are 63 players left of a 65 player field.These players make it almost unbearable to play live poker sometimes. At least online you can mute the chat. Problem is, we all have to endur their retardedness (word?) because those are the players that give us the money.ps. Isn't it ironic that more than half the players who respond to this will be the exact people I am talking about?

Well, I don't know about the railbird thing, unless they're just plain obnoxious, but I tend to agree with you about people who spout lingo, make bad moves and genrally portray themselves as some kind of poker genius.

I'm talking about the people who think checking down when a player is all in during a pot is an unwritten rule that cannot, under any circumstances, be broken...even when there are 63 players left of a 65 player field.
I love players who do this. It lets me call and check down a hand that may have some showdown value. They also tend to stubbornly call with nothing when I make a hand and start betting it.I came to a realization the other day when someone at a tourney was complaining about another player pusing all-in a lot. There are really two possibilites:- it's a good strategy and you can't really complain about an opponent playing a good strategy- it's a bad strategy and therefore will benefit you in the long runYeah, guys spouting off like they know something when they're complete idiots can be annoying but in reality they're just giving you information. I was playing with a guy who started talking about how odds of drawing to an OESD were much worse than the odds of drawing to a flush. That's good information to know about your opponent. Of course this is a friendly game and the rest of the table explained that the odds are pretty close.
reach across the poker table and strangle the life out of the player across the table from you? I do, and quite frequently as well.Why you ask? Well it's not because they drew out on me, that's not the reason at all. It's also not because they seem to be out playing me or because it seems they always have a big hand against me.It's because they're dumb. Just the plain fact that they're idiots. I'm talking about that guy who has seen a few WPT and WSOP broadcasts, maybe a Full Tilt Learn From the Pros show, and now thinks that he's god's gift to the poker table.This guy has heard a few bits of poker lingo like value bet, and semi-bluff, and is spouting them off like they have a daily quota of poker cliches they have to meet.These are the players who still think a race is exciting, even when they aren't involved in the hand. These guys stick around after they bust out of a tournament to see who wins, even though they were knocked out in the first level and they have no friends that are still in.I'm talking about the people who think checking down when a player is all in during a pot is an unwritten rule that cannot, under any circumstances, be broken...even when there are 63 players left of a 65 player field.These players make it almost unbearable to play live poker sometimes. At least online you can mute the chat. Problem is, we all have to endur their retardedness (word?) because those are the players that give us the money.ps. Isn't it ironic that more than half the players who respond to this will be the exact people I am talking about?
No. I love live poker. What's better than the loudmouth across the table going all in with his pocket 8s, and Mr. Tight in seat 10 going all in with his AJ when you just hit a set of jacks on a rainbow flop of J 7 6? Commiserating with them is the nuts (yes, TPTK no good ... too bad ... yes, I see you had a straight draw with your 8s; I'm lucky it didn't hit).

I agree with a lot of what you say however it is not necessarily bad.railbird thing is cool in my book. Some people are really big fans of the game and not necessarily the player. I love the game and I frequently will watch a tournament just to see if I can get a read on someone. What really is annoying is when the railbirds commentate. That sucks.The checking down thing is not that big a deal.What pisses me off is when people who know how to play get so worked up about the fish. Without the fish........you can not eat.

I'm talking about the people who think checking down when a player is all in during a pot is an unwritten rule that cannot, under any circumstances, be broken...even when there are 63 players left of a 65 player field.These players make it almost unbearable to play live poker sometimes. At least online you can mute the chat. Problem is, we all have to endur their retardedness (word?) because those are the players that give us the money.ps. Isn't it ironic that more than half the players who respond to this will be the exact people I am talking about?
retardation
Please be happy these people still play....im mean Jesus what do you want a bunch of rocks.........it sounds to me like you take yourself way to serious.......if you are as good as you claim maybe you should try to enjoy the game a little more, not everyone is playing it as serious as alot of us.....believe it or not people still play for entertainment

EDIT: my quoting doesn't seem to be working...

nell is a good person.
this is true.
No. I love live poker. What's better than the loudmouth across the table going all in with his pocket 8s, and Mr. Tight in seat 10 going all in with his AJ when you just hit a set of jacks on a rainbow flop of J 7 6? Commiserating with them is the nuts (yes, TPTK no good ... too bad ... yes, I see you had a straight draw with your 8s; I'm lucky it didn't hit).
I never said I didn't like the way they play, I'm aware of the need for bad players. It just annoys me when every word they say shows their complete ignorance of the game....but they think they are all-stars.
I agree with a lot of what you say however it is not necessarily bad.railbird thing is cool in my book. Some people are really big fans of the game and not necessarily the player. I love the game and I frequently will watch a tournament just to see if I can get a read on someone. What really is annoying is when the railbirds commentate. That sucks.The checking down thing is not that big a deal.What pisses me off is when people who know how to play get so worked up about the fish. Without the fish........you can not eat.
The checking down thing is dumb because of the following situation.1st level of a tournament. 4 people are in the pot, including me. One person is all in for the amount of the preflop raise. I flop a weak hand (middle pair or something) and bet because I have the best hand and want to protect it. the two players fold leaving it to a showdown between me and the all in player. After I win the pot, two guys who have been spouting Vince Van Patton lines all night proceed to talk about me behind my back (but right to my face) about how that was a horrible play and that I am stupid for not trying to eliminate the player. Hypothetically.And don't get me wrong, I don't get worked up when players make bad plays, and I don't tell them differently when they say stupid things. I just keep to myself and keep playing. That is also a big pet peeve of mine (but for a different rant).
retardation
Thanks
Those bad players are WHACK!
OK
Please be happy these people still play....im mean Jesus what do you want a bunch of rocks.........it sounds to me like you take yourself way to serious.......if you are as good as you claim maybe you should try to enjoy the game a little more, not everyone is playing it as serious as alot of us.....believe it or not people still play for entertainment
You don't get it
+1anger20managementvl8.gif
I'm talking about the people who think checking down when a player is all in during a pot is an unwritten rule that cannot, under any circumstances, be broken...even when there are 63 players left of a 65 player field.
I happen to agree with that one. No pair...no bet. Dry side bluffing is retarded.
I happen to agree with that one. No pair...no bet. Dry side bluffing is retarded.
There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't bet if you think you have the best hand when you aren't even close to the bubble. The idea is to increase the chances of you winning the hand, why do you care if you get the field down from 63 to 62?
QFMFT
There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't bet if you think you have the best hand when you aren't even close to the bubble. The idea is to increase the chances of you winning the hand, why do you care if you get the field down from 63 to 62?
read carefully what ALF is saying. Then stop. Think about it again. Then think somemore. You will see he is agreeing with you more than disagreeing.

I never said I didn't like the way they play, I'm aware of the need for bad players. It just annoys me when every word they say shows their complete ignorance of the game....but they think they are all-stars. The point I'm trying to make is -- let it roll, baby. Just let it roll ... I was sitting at the MGM earlier this year. Some fancy pants plonks down $1,500+ on a 3-6 limit table and proceeds to cap every bet ... and give it all away. He was having a great time and telling us why he was doing what he was doing. He was stupid. We unloaded him of about $1,250 of his troubles in about 45 minutes -- $600 to me before anyone else figured out what was going on. But there was a guy at the table who was berating him for bad play. I literally pulled him off the table by the shirt collar and talked to him about how we all needed to show him the best time we could ... for his $1,500. Point is that the "capper" walked away smiling, because he could say he lost at poker in Vegas. I SINCERELY believe that was his goal -- to lose to the "sharks" in Vegas. He knew NOTHING about the game. Locally, there's an "all-star" who donks into stacks like you wouldn't believe. He treats poker like craps. (I know .. there's more than one, but I have this particular one in mind). After he gets some chips, he ALWAYS points at my stack and says, "you're next." I smile and shake my head. After an appropriate amount of time and the right spot, I have his chips. We do this little dance every other time he gets a paycheck. People find him highly annoying; I actually like his little act. So the "all-stars" don't bother me ... I honestly like the chatter. It distracts people from the cards. I even find them entertaining. It tilts people. Sometimes it's annoying, yes. But that's one of the "costs" of success. Lighten up. It's a "game" to some people.

It is annoying as hell....Obviously every game, everywhere has the guy that has to spout the (usually very wrong) odds that so and so player was getting when they made the great laydown/horrible fold... I laugh to myself and nod a lot and tell him how right he is, cuz.... You just can't fix stupid :club:

ps. Isn't it ironic that more than half the players who respond to this will be the exact people I am talking about?[/size]
You didn't need to include this part. It was pretentious and makes you look bad - almost as bad as using the fictious word 'retardedness'.Not much of what you wrote about other players' actions bothers me. I can ignore it. Have you been busting out early a lot lately?

What I love is the guy who bluffs the dry pot to get heads up with the all in, loses to the all in. Then finds out, one of the other players would have hit on the river and knocked out the all in person. Then the next few hands, the original all in player busts the dry pot bluffer. Good Times!

I dont think he's talking about the complete tards.He's talking about the low stakes break-even-at-best nits.(which realistically is what the majority of posters in general are, save for the nit part possibly)
It is annoying as hell....Obviously every game, everywhere has the guy that has to spout the (usually very wrong) odds that so and so player was getting when they made the great laydown/horrible fold... I laugh to myself and nod a lot and tell him how right he is, cuz.... You just can't fix stupid :club:
See? these guys know what's up.
You didn't need to include this part. It was pretentious and makes you look bad - almost as bad as using the fictious word 'retardedness'.Not much of what you wrote about other players' actions bothers me. I can ignore it. Have you been busting out early a lot lately?
You're probably the type of player that I'm talking about. That's the beauty of it....it's not even stupidity, it's just ignorance.and the OP wasn't meant to sound angry, though it may have come off that way. Just wanted to talk about it with other people who know what I'm talking about.oh, and the answer to your question is no.