Whats Legal? Poker Laws!

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Where can I find all of the laws for having poker games in New York state. I play in a club (bar) that you have to pay a $10 memebership for the year to be the member. You need an electronic card to get in. They serve alcohol and food. On tues nights we play a $30 NL tourny. Then we play a $1-$2 NL cash game that usually ends up with a couple grand or more on the table. The club doesnt take ANY money from the pots, and we dont pay them anything to have the game there. We do have a waitress come upstairs and get our drinks and food. Is this legal?? Can the club or players get in trouble? I would like to have the exact laws to take to the game. Thanks alot!

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Where can I find all of the laws for having poker games in New York state. I play in a club (bar) that you have to pay a $10 memebership for the year to be the member. You need an electronic card to get in. They serve alcohol and food. On tues nights we play a $30 NL tourny. Then we play a $1-$2 NL cash game that usually ends up with a couple grand or more on the table. The club doesnt take ANY money from the pots, and we dont pay them anything to have the game there. We do have a waitress come upstairs and get our drinks and food. Is this legal?? Can the club or players get in trouble? I would like to have the exact laws to take to the game. Thanks alot!
Short answer: if they wanted to bust you, they could.Gambling is three elements: consideration, chance, and prize. If you have to risk losing anything of value (money, $10 minimum tab, donation to charity) to play a game of chance (poker) to win a prize (self explanatory) then you are gambling.The rest is simply a matter of how bad law enforcement wants you. Answer: generally not too bad, till org. crime gets in.

New York state does not hold that the player is performing an illegal act by playing poker. Over the last two years there have been many busts in NYC card rooms. They do take all the money from the players and cause them grief, but they have not, to my knowledge, arrested the players. They do arrest the dealers, managers and owners.Knowing NY law enforcement (they do what they want), they would consider the game illegal since a price was paid to "join" and you are buying drinks and food while you play. NY will turn any activity into an illegal one so they would try at least to say that the food and drinks were priced to "replace" rake. Especially if they let you pay with chips or cash on the table.

where is this game and are you taking new players??
Upstate.....and there is more than enough room for more players. So, more about the game so you have more input about the legal question. There is never money on the table. No paid dealers. We only pay for food and drinks with cash or on tab. The problem is that where we are playing a pool league is going to start playing too. So people from local bars and such are going to see us playing, where before no one saw us because we were upstairs away from everyone. We cant change the day because we all have games on other days of the week. My problem is that this game is JUICY and I dont want to see it end!!!
Upstate.....and there is more than enough room for more players. So, more about the game so you have more input about the legal question. There is never money on the table. No paid dealers. We only pay for food and drinks with cash or on tab. The problem is that where we are playing a pool league is going to start playing too. So people from local bars and such are going to see us playing, where before no one saw us because we were upstairs away from everyone. We cant change the day because we all have games on other days of the week. My problem is that this game is JUICY and I dont want to see it end!!!
Where are you "upstate"? There's a lot of room up here ... lol.
Where are you "upstate"? There's a lot of room up here ... lol.
About an hour west of albany. PM where you are and I will tell you how close you are to us.Anyone have anymore thoughts on the legality of our games? Do you think there is someone in our local Govt or the cops that I could ask the specific rules?
About an hour west of albany. PM where you are and I will tell you how close you are to us.Anyone have anymore thoughts on the legality of our games? Do you think there is someone in our local Govt or the cops that I could ask the specific rules?
Keep advertising it to anonymous people over the Internet and pool-players wondering what's going on will be the least of your worries...
Keep advertising it to anonymous people over the Internet and pool-players wondering what's going on will be the least of your worries...
Well if you can find it with those directions.....then come on in. Have you seen NYS? You go figure out what an hour west of Albany is and come visit. Im sure I`ll see you real soon.....dumbazz. Im not an idiot, Im not going to give out any specifics as to where we are located.