4 Iron From 160?

I think the problem with DN with his golf game is his length. I play some golf and consider myself a bogey golfer. DNs driver seems fine 230-250...but i think his irons are short. I personally hit it alittle longer then most but i hit my pitching wedge about 120-135, 9 iron 135-145, 8 iron 145-155, 7 iron 155-170, 6 iron 170-180. 5 iron 180-190, 4 iron 190 to 200, 3 iron(which i dont use that often) 200-215 and then i use my 4 wood to about 230-250if DN is hitting a 4 iron from 160 thats huge...alot of other golfers would use a 8 iron....I think DN needs to keep the ball back alittle in his stance with his irons to get a little more distance with his irons..I bet he would cut alot of strokes of his game. also 7 iron from 128? i just think he needs moreQUOTE(Tigerlite @ Tuesday, September 12th, 2006, 10:34 AM) Now that's awesome putting. Dude, how could your round be terrible after doing that well on the greens? From reading your golfing posts, it seems to me pretty clear that you usually drive the ball pretty well and you putt well unless you have a really long putt which then makes it difficult to you. Thus, I deduce that your main problem is your iron play and short game. Try this, Daniel: prior to your round, go to the range, and do not touch any of your woods. Don't even look at your driver. Start with your most lofted iron, and hit shots with it. Try to consider a distance, and then hit it to that distance. Take at least 10 swings with this club. After the tenth swing, stop using this club after you make solid contact and hit a good shot. Then, move on to the next most lofted club and follow the same routine, until you have hit every iron in your bag and the last shot with every iron is that beautiful iron shot that keeps us coming back to the links for more.You seem also to not have that much power with your irons, for instance, you once wrote that you would hit an 8-iron from 130 yards. In the desert, a shot of 130 yards should be a pitching wedge and not a big one at that. In my experience, when someone is not hitting the ball as far as they should, there are two main things happening: 1) the player is adding loft to the club, and 2) the player is picking the ball up rather than hitting down on the ball. Golf is a game of opposites. When you try to pick the ball up, you are actually hitting the ball lower. I bet the trajectory of your shots is pretty low to medium. Have you noticed that the Pros, even with a four iron, will hit the ball pretty high. Reason for that is that the hit down on the ball which causes the ball to fly higher and farther. Here's a quick tip to get this going: with your irons, when you are addressing a shot, move your hands slightly forward. By doing that, you are actually delofting the club. Another tip: move the ball slightly back in your stance from where you normally play it. This will mean that you will have more of a descending blow thereby eliminating the swing which attempts to pick the ball up. There's more, but I've written enough for now. Good luck.Excellent tips, thanks for the reminder. I've been told to hit down on the ball before and when I do I hit my irons way longer. I'm also going to try and make sure my hands are a little bit in front as well. I'll let you know how it goes.EDIT: i guess i wasnt the first one...great post and great tips--------------------

Golf is a game of opposites. When you try to pick the ball up, you are actually hitting the ball lower.
Actually, that's incorrect.For instance, when trying to keep the ball low (for wind) you move the ball back in your stance and keep your hands well forward, which reduces trajectory, not increase it. De-lofting your club reduces club face angle will reduce ball trajectory.Hitting down on the ball with irons is correct. Typical ball position is middle of stance, hands slightly ahead. The downward ball-compressing action does two things: 1. creates the spin you need to help stop the ball, and, 2. creates more power which translates into more distance.

Distances are averages assuming normal swing speed in ideal conditions....60 w - 1/4 swing 45, 1/2 - 75, full 9556 w - 1/4 swing 55, 1/2 - 85, full 105+52 w - 1/4 swing 60, 1/2 - 90, full 115+.PW=120-1259=1408=1507=1606=1755=1854=200 ish3= retired7 wood= 2103w=225 235D=285 ave.One of my lessons years ago included me pacing off specific distances and hitting all my wedges from those distances, creating a very accurate chart of just how far I hit each wedge. This has been HUGE for my short game and is now why it is the best part of my game.GL all! :club:

Actually, that's incorrect.For instance, when trying to keep the ball low (for wind) you move the ball back in your stance and keep your hands well forward, which reduces trajectory, not increase it. De-lofting your club reduces club face angle will reduce ball trajectory.Hitting down on the ball with irons is correct. Typical ball position is middle of stance, hands slightly ahead. The downward ball-compressing action does two things: 1. creates the spin you need to help stop the ball, and, 2. creates more power which translates into more distance.
Somewhat true. You also want to take one more club and swing easier when hitting into the wind. The harder you swing, the more spin that is put on the ball, which causes the ball to rise into the wind. An easier swing keeps the ball low, and that is what you want when hitting into the wind.
Somewhat true. You also want to take one more club and swing easier when hitting into the wind. The harder you swing, the more spin that is put on the ball, which causes the ball to rise into the wind. An easier swing keeps the ball low, and that is what you want when hitting into the wind.
Ah yes..."swing with ease, into the breeze".Its putting in the wind that I absolutely cannot master.

Its not we are all much bigger then DN or swing harder or faster. What is his problem? He can cut 8 strokes easy by hitting it 20 yards longer with his irons. Why does he play for money when he loses all the time? Get better then play for money.

distance is relative..proof : 2006 british open another thing size shouldnt be an issure here...i think it is safe to say most of us are much larger than michelle wie and she hits the ball 300 yards...timing and tempo are the keyshitting the ball 310 off the tee, managing to hit 9 fairways and 9 greens doesnt matter if u have 35 putts..

a good putting round is anywhere between 10-18 (per nine). anything more is horrible becuase it is over 2 putts per hole. Everyone should keep track of their putts becuase you may think you played well and look at the score card and see a 50 and not realize why, but its because of putting

Despite the considerable distances (most of you guys a far above average with your irons) you hit the ball, it's the short game that matters most when it comes to score. If you don't believe me, count your stokes inside 60 yards. It sounds like DN is a bit inconsistent in his long game. That means lessons and practice until its automatic solid contact. Then alignment will enter the picture.Go low --BurgermanL Wedge 80S Wedge 105P Wedge 1209 iron 1308 iron 1457 iron 1606 iron 1705 iron 1804 iron 190Rescue 2104 Wood 2203 Wood 235Driver 265

just because im bored, i'll post mine:p-110 (don't have any wedge but im good at any distance under 110 with the p)9-1258-1307-1506-1655-1754-180 (inconsistent)3-200 (inconsistent)CPR (nike's rescue club)-2003 wood-225driver (nike sasquatch)-250putting-rarely miss one under 10 feet but im good at putting long ones with close to the hole=low 40's on a kind of hard course

I've only golfed in vegas once, but it doesn't rain their much does it?then the fairways probably roll and you get an extra 20 yards per shot as apposed to playing at a place where it rains a couple of times a week

distance is relative..proof : 2006 british open another thing size shouldnt be an issure here...i think it is safe to say most of us are much larger than michelle wie and she hits the ball 300 yards...timing and tempo are the keyshitting the ball 310 off the tee, managing to hit 9 fairways and 9 greens doesnt matter if u have 35 putts..
distance is relative if you are a PRO and can hit each iron about equal but for regular players that play bogey golf....long irons are VERY hard to hit...and hitting it with a 4 iron to a 7 iron is a BIG difference...yes within 60 yards is very important but if you have a good iron game you wouldnt be chipping within 60 yards as much..you would be putting...
She's 6 feet tall. Taller than most guys I think.

60 degree - 75 max58 degree - 90sand - 100 - 10550 degree - 110gapPW - 1359 - 1458 - 1657 - 1756 - 1855 - 195-2004 - 210-220hybrid 22 degree - 2203 wood - 250driver - 300+ handicap 16Favorite golf course - Bighorn Country Club mountainfavorite cigar La Gloria Cubana Series R #6

Want to know something fun-get a 64 degree wedge. The ball goes nowhere but very high. Its pretty useless on the course unless you need to get over a tree that is 10 feet in fron of you, but it is fun to play with in the backyard or driving range.

60 degree - 75 max58 degree - 90sand - 100 - 10550 degree - 110gapPW - 1359 - 1458 - 1657 - 1756 - 1855 - 195-2004 - 210-220hybrid 22 degree - 2203 wood - 250driver - 300+ handicap 16Favorite golf course - Bighorn Country Club mountainfavorite cigar La Gloria Cubana Series R #6
Being a PGA pro I recommend you get lessons, seeing that you hit it that far and are a 16 is pretty bad. You must hit it very crooked, or have the worst short game in the world, or you are vey inconsistent hitting them those distances. All which could be corrected by taking lessons. No disrepect intended.
Being a PGA pro I recommend you get lessons, seeing that you hit it that far and are a 16 is pretty bad. You must hit it very crooked, or have the worst short game in the world, or you are vey inconsistent hitting them those distances. All which could be corrected by taking lessons. No disrepect intended.
None takenI took a full day private lesson with a pro at my country club, he tore my swing apart, and got me much more under control, but I lost 10-20 yards on some of my long clubs, a fair trade. I hit so many shots that day I couldn't swing for 2 days after that.Then I didn't have a chance to play for 3 months...ooopsMy problem is during season I play once every two months, during summer I pay 1-2 times a week. Love the game, but my company has become pretty successful so for now I am a scramble king.I know I could get to a low single digit handicap with time and effort.Until then I will just keep trying to buy a good game.btw, inside 40 yards my 60 degree is money, 40-130 is problem range. everything else is 80% straight, with a few OB's to keep my handicap high. So you were pretty close with your opinion of my game.

Good advice SCGolfer. I agree totally. The FCP'er that says inside 60 yards isn't that important hasn't played enough golf. Getting the ball in the hole from that distance and inside of it consistently is where the big guys separate themselves. There's not much difference in the long game per se.Go low --Burgerman

dn, protien shakes my man!repair the tearing down of your muscles, and since u r veggie, u do not get as much complete protein as u should (i am assuming, but i can almost be 100% sure of this. it takes a lot of persistence to always come up w/ proper food matches).

Distance isn't all that important in golf, how straight and consistently you hit the ball is far more important, and even MORE important, like scgolfer says, is your short game.The problem nowdays, due to guys like Tiger, Daly, Villegas, is the new courses are being made LONG, and players aren't necessarily playing the proper tees they should be. What it comes down to is this, would you like to hit the ball 360 off the tee with a 60 yard across accuracyy variance, or 260 with a 10 yard variance. Pretty simple choice.

my dad wants me to play golf with him today and i feel bad saying no so im not playing in the wcoop. it seems bad that i would blow of my dad for poker-anyways i hope i get in the high 30's-that would be a good round.