kk vs aa, my exit from the negreanu open

first time in the tourney, had some big hands, but made a fast exit in 23 minutes when my kings ran into aces. just thought i'd post some interesting hands i'm still thinking about:PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converterUTG+1 (t1480)MP1 (t2995)MP2 (t1560)akishore (t1500)Button (t1670)SB (t1355)BB (t1500)UTG (t1500)Preflop: akishore is CO with [Tc], [Ah]. 4 folds.Flop: (t60) [3d], [7c], [Jd] (2 players)SB bets t40, akishore calls t40.Turn: (t140) [8s] (2 players)SB bets t120, akishore folds.ATo in CO in unopened pot... is this a steal situation? i'm not a big fan of stealing blinds in the early stages of the tournament... stacks are too deep, and you can get yourself into unnecessary messy situations, but should i have raised? i saw the flop bet as weak, it either said "king high, i just want to take this pot down heads-up" or "second pair or bottom pair". i contemplated raising, but i thought a call might scare him more, like i was trying to trap him. but he fired again on the turn, so i folded.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converterSB (t1545)BB (t4640)UTG (t1650)akishore (t1390)MP1 (t1170)MP2 (t1225)CO (t1450)Button (t1660)Preflop: akishore is UTG+1 with [4h], [4d]. UTG raises to t80.Flop: (t340) [3h], [9d], [Kd] (4 players)SB checks, UTG bets t125, akishore folds.i'm pretty sure my play was fine here, but just making sure if this is correct in a tournament situation. UTG raised to 4xBB, i called since it wasn't a hefty raise and i had about a 70xBB stack. i didn't hit a set on the flop, so of course i immediately dropped it.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converterButton (t1465)SB (t4620)BB (t1445)akishore (t1310)UTG+1 (t1555)MP1 (t1225)MP2 (t1450)CO (t1660)Preflop: akishore is UTG with [Ts], [As]. akishore raises to t70, BB calls t50.Flop: (t220) [Kd], [4h], [Jd] (3 players)BB checks, akishore bets t150, BB folds, akishore calls t150.Turn: (t820) [7d] (2 players)akishore checks, Button bets t220, akishore folds.Final Pot: t1040i played this hand like a donkey. i don't know what i was thinking raising ATs UTG, this a limp/fold hand in tournaments, right? i made a hefty bet on a missed flop (with only a gutshot and an overcard), and i was min raised. i'm not a big fan of folding to min raises at all, so maybe it was a good value raise by the opponent if he had a set or something (still not a fan of it on this suited, somewhat coordinated board). check-folded on the turn when the flush hit. i also had in my notes that Button bet his draws, so i also saw the min raise as a possible semi-bluff with the flush. regardless, with such a weak bet on the turn, i figured i was drawing dead or beat badly, so there was no use trying to bluff him out. this was a bad pot for me, badly played by me.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converterCO (t1915)Button (t4610)SB (t1375)akishore (t940)UTG (t1555)UTG+1 (t1225)MP1 (t1450)MP2 (t1660)Preflop: akishore is BB with [Ts], [Tc]. 1 fold, UTG+1 folds, CO folds.Final Pot: t435i'm still poring over this hand. the button was the chipleader in the tournament, and there were two key hands i witnessed by the chipleader: the first one, he raised to 120 (big blind was only 20) in opening the pot in late position, and he showed down KK. the second one, he again made a hefty raise, someone reraised, and he made a hefty over-the-top all-in and showed down QQ. since i was shortstacked, i was really looking forward to playing this hand well to get a lot of chips, but then he made a HUGE overbet on the button. i went into the time bank, and decided that besides the two hands i witnessed, the raise was too big a part of my stack (i was barely invested, could afford to fold), i was messing with the chipleader, and i was out of position, so i folded. i'm thinking it was a great laydown, but i'm still wondering what could have been if he was overplaying AK or something. oh well, probably an easy fold that i'm overthinking.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converterSB (t960)BB (t4715)UTG (t1000)akishore (t880)MP1 (t2345)MP2 (t1455)CO (t1760)Button (t1615)Preflop: akishore is UTG+1 with [Kd], [Kh]. 1 fold, Button calls t480.Flop: (t1805) [9s], [Ac], [6h] (2 players)Turn: (t1805) [9h] (2 players)River: (t1805) [7s] (2 players)Final Pot: t1805this was the hand that was my exit. opened to a raise of 100 on top of the 30 big blind, which was a little more than a raise to 4xBB (in retrospect, i should have raised to 90 or 105, it would have allowed me more breathing room in case of a reraise), button tripled my raise to 300 on top of 130, and i figured i had to push since calling would leave me with only 450 more. i had a bad feeling about aces because of the immediate reraise (it happened really fast), but i think pushing was the correct play. however, i do think that if i had been a little milder in my opening raise, i might have had a little breathing room, but i was still quite shortstacked from that hand i played like a donkey earlier, so i wouldn't have much breathing room anyway. oh well, that's tournament poker.i would love to hear any comments on any of the following hands. i'm not a big tournament player, but i've decided i want to improve and get better. i'm thinking of getting "tournament theory for advanced players" by sklansky and "harrington on hold 'em" sometime in the future.thanks,aseem

I like the way you played these hands, other than they donkey hand. The first hand, AT is a definite raising hand first in from the cutoff. He bet to small on the flop for you to not see another card. He continued on the turn, so you have an easy fold. The 44 hand you played right. I forget which columnist said it, but I read in Card Player that you should be willing to call up to 1/7 of your stack preflop on any pair for implied odds. You were well within this.The donkey hand, you know what you did wrong, so no need to comment further except to say fold this UTG unless the game is real passive.The TT hand you can gamble if you want, but you have enough chips to get away from it. If your read is right on the button, it is more than 1/7 or your stack, so you should lay it down. If he's a loose raiser, go all in. Here, you still have time to wait for a better spot.The KK hand there is not much you can do about. Your stack is not deep enough to get away from this hand. You raise, he reraises, and you move all in. He had AA, tough luck.

PokerStars Game #1399979744: Tournament #6280618, Hold'em No Limit - Level V(75/150) - 2005/03/22 - 21:14:01 (ET)Table '6280618 6' Seat #7 is the buttonSeat 1: gobears (1135 in chips) Seat 2: allinbluff35 (8830 in chips) Seat 3: DeNuts1 (1135 in chips) Seat 4: goldenbanana (2855 in chips) Seat 5: RMC2117 (5850 in chips) Seat 6: 1BigAceHole (2405 in chips) Seat 7: nienween (3000 in chips) Seat 8: Breeze81 (955 in chips) Seat 9: aucu (3630 in chips) Breeze81: posts small blind 75aucu: posts big blind 150*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to DeNuts1 [As Ah]gobears: folds DeNuts1 said, "nh bananna"allinbluff35: folds DeNuts1: raises 150 to 300goldenbanana said, "time my luck turns around"goldenbanana: folds RMC2117: folds 1BigAceHole: folds nienween: folds Breeze81: folds wisemandogg [observer] said, "what up banana"aucu: calls 150*** FLOP *** [2d 5d 6d]Horrible flop for me but what can I do....goldenbanana said, "dogg"aucu: bets 300goldenbanana said, "whats up"DeNuts1: raises 535 to 835 and is all-inaucu: calls 535DeNuts1 said, "no diamond"*** TURN *** [2d 5d 6d] [Qs]*** RIVER *** [2d 5d 6d Qs] [Ad]*** SHOW DOWN ***aucu: shows [Th Qd] (a flush, Ace high)DeNuts1: shows [As Ah] (three of a kind, Aces)DeNuts1 said, "****"allinbluff35 said, "ouch"aucu collected 2345 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 2345 | Rake 0 Board [2d 5d 6d Qs Ad]Seat 1: gobears folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 2: allinbluff35 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 3: DeNuts1 showed [As Ah] and lost with three of a kind, AcesSeat 4: goldenbanana folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 5: RMC2117 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 6: 1BigAceHole folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 7: nienween (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 8: Breeze81 (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 9: aucu (big blind) showed [Th Qd] and won (2345) with a flush, Ace high

Thought this was pretty brutal....PokerStars Game #1399633403: Tournament #6280618, Hold'em No Limit - Level II(15/30) - 2005/03/22 - 20:17:48 (ET)Table '6280618 6' Seat #9 is the buttonSeat 1: gobears (1360 in chips) Seat 2: Emms (2315 in chips) Seat 3: DeNuts1 (1230 in chips) Seat 4: Trancefuzer (760 in chips) Seat 6: 1BigAceHole (3050 in chips) Seat 7: IAmAStripper (1510 in chips) Seat 8: roger44 (1215 in chips) Seat 9: Roggg (890 in chips) gobears: posts small blind 15Emms: posts big blind 30*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to DeNuts1 [Ks 5c]DeNuts1: folds Trancefuzer: folds 1BigAceHole: folds IAmAStripper: folds roger44: raises 150 to 180Roggg: folds gobears: folds Emms: calls 150*** FLOP *** [9s Qs 2s]Emms: checks JaysonWeber [observer] said, "gobears wassup brutha"roger44: bets 270Emms: calls 270*** TURN *** [9s Qs 2s] [Qd]Emms: checks roger44: bets 210Emms: calls 210*** RIVER *** [9s Qs 2s Qd] [Jh]Emms: bets 630roger44: calls 555 and is all-in*** SHOW DOWN ***Emms: shows [As 5s] (a flush, Ace high)roger44: shows [Qh Qc] (four of a kind, Queens)roger44 collected 2445 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 2445 | Rake 0 Board [9s Qs 2s Qd Jh]Seat 1: gobears (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 2: Emms (big blind) showed [As 5s] and lost with a flush, Ace highSeat 3: DeNuts1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: Trancefuzer folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 6: 1BigAceHole folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 7: IAmAStripper folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 8: roger44 showed [Qh Qc] and won (2445) with four of a kind, QueensSeat 9: Roggg (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

im out now at 20th..grrr..made 2 dumb mistakes and im pretty much crippled..and had to go all in with a shortstack with QJ suited..get called by pocket aces.

aki-i had qq when you had TT, just wanted you to feel better about it, nice laydown.As we sit now we are down to 18 which is where i said id blow up....still may happen, havent had a hand since 20mins in

aki-i had qq when you had TT, just wanted you to feel better about it, nice laydown.
thanks for letting me know, i appreciate it.aseem

Here's my exit. AA got me also. At this point I was 10th out of 16.*********** # 1 **************PokerStars Game #1400102574: Tournament #6280618, Hold'em No Limit - Level VI(100/200) - 2005/03/22 - 21:33:54 (ET)Table '6280618 2' Seat #9 is the buttonSeat 1: MDXS (4800 in chips) Seat 2: Ajs1281 (4290 in chips) Seat 3: TXXS (885 in chips) Seat 4: sealster (8465 in chips) Seat 5: Seele (6250 in chips) Seat 6: vaglvr (7715 in chips) Seat 8: Mizoney (4385 in chips) Seat 9: pawnstarr (1120 in chips) MDXS: posts small blind 100Ajs1281: posts big blind 200*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to MDXS [Ad Ac]TXXS: folds sealster: folds Seele: raises 400 to 600vaglvr: folds Mizoney: folds pawnstarr: folds MDXS: raises 1200 to 1800Ajs1281: folds Seele: calls 1200*** FLOP *** [3h 6h 8h]MDXS: bets 3000 and is all-inSeele: calls 3000Seele said, "sorry"sealster said, "wow"*** TURN *** [3h 6h 8h] [5d]*** RIVER *** [3h 6h 8h 5d] [2c]*** SHOW DOWN ***MDXS: shows [Ad Ac] (a pair of Aces)Seele: shows [Ah 5h] (a flush, Ace high)MDXS said, "nh"Seele collected 9800 from potSeele said, "ty..."*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 9800 | Rake 0 Board [3h 6h 8h 5d 2c]Seat 1: MDXS (small blind) showed [Ad Ac] and lost with a pair of AcesSeat 2: Ajs1281 (big blind) folded before FlopSeat 3: TXXS folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: sealster folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 5: Seele showed [Ah 5h] and won (9800) with a flush, Ace highSeat 6: vaglvr folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 8: Mizoney folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 9: pawnstarr (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)I think I played this okay...just ran into the wrong hand. Any recommendations? It was a disappointing end because I was in good position for a long time and was playing much better than I usually do in these forum tournaments.

*** FLOP *** [3h 6h 8h]MDXS: bets 3000 and is all-inSeele: calls 3000I think I played this well enough...just ran into the wrong hand. Any recommendations? It was a disappointing end because I was in good position for a long time and was playing much better than I usually do in these forum tournaments.
You really think betting 3000 into a suited board with no card in the suit is playing well? I understand you want to protect your hand if it is good, but you will only get called here by a flush, a set, or a pair with a big flush draw (maybe just the big flush draw). So you are either drawing dead, drawing to 2 outs, a bit behind, or on rare occasions a 2/1 favorite. I know it hurts, but you have to slow down here. Either bet small to see if he's interested, or check and strongly consider folding if he bets anything significant. Even if he is bluffing, he still has a lot of outs.
You really think betting 3000 into a suited board with no card in the suit is playing well?
I meant in general, not necessarily this hand...that's why I asked for recommendations. Anyway, you make good points. I didn't want to check to give away a free card to a flush draw. I didn't want to bet too small and invite a reraise that I'd have to fold to. I guess that my stack was screwed any way you slice it and I should have played more conservatively than putting my tournament on the line.

Sry about crackin your AA nuts, but it was a minimal re-raise for your all in and I had to take the shot.

Preflop: akishore is CO with [Tc]' date=' [Ah'].    4 foldsWhy did the BB fold for free?
i noticed that too while i was in the game. guess he just didn't like his hand and he just marked the "fold" button. :-) aseem
I think I played this well enough...just ran into the wrong hand. Any recommendations? It was a disappointing end because I was in good position for a long time and was playing much better than I usually do in these forum tournaments.
It's is so hard to put someone on a flush off the flop. Say you check there, an all in could mean anything, if your going to play it aggressively an all in is the best move. I thought you played it fine and was shocked to see the hand, that was one of the worst beats i saw all night. Except maybe the two beats by sealster, the one he put on allinbluff where bluff had two pair a 9 and seal had trip nines off the flop and then on those two people with a straight was absolutely brutal. To respond to the person who thought it was a terrible play. The board was low, the person had just called. A pocket pair is a possiblity and a pocket pair with a heart is a possibility, and a flush draw is also entirely possible depending on how good the player is. Although here it would have been nice to have the ace of hearts, but what can you do.....