• 2 weeks later...

I guess going by Skalansky - if Kido had known what Joe had would he still have called - absolutley not, but personally I am glad he won - he is an exciting player - and seems to have his priorities in order. Just proves the 'Thats poker' idiom over and over.Best,Gary

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense. wouldn't you rather put in your chips as a favourite?
In a tournament, there are often spots where you should take gambles that are -cEV since after you factor in the top heavy payoff structure, your overall expectation is +EV.Of course you always want to put your chips in as a favorite, but often, -cEV situations come around that tournament players willingly take up.
In a tournament, there are often spots where you should take gambles that are -cEV since after you factor in the top heavy payoff structure, your overall expectation is +EV.Of course you always want to put your chips in as a favorite, but often, -cEV situations come around that tournament players willingly take up.
No. Most players don't willingly make -cEV decisions. I honestly have no idea where you get this idea from.
http://www.cardplayer.com/players/results/...ot%3B_Pham/8050you're an idiot.Kido Pham is a known player on the circuit.Please compare your tournament results to his?Retards who have no crudentials shouldn't insult anyone else.
I never said Kido wasn't a "known" player on the circuit. I never said he didn't have CRUDENTIALS. Spell much? Someone with as litle knowledge as you about poker shouldn't insult anyone else buddy. Judging by your moronic statement, you don't have a clue as to what "luckbox" or "aggrodonk" means.John Juanda is often called a "luckbox" by his friends, does that mean he too isn't a well know player on the circuit?Tuan Le, JC Tran can be called aggrodonks, does that mean they aren't well know players on the circuit? You are a clueless, trolling moron, at best. And I don't want to even get into what you are at worst.So when you learn how stupid and wrong you are, and how you don't even know what those words mean, AND the fact that I never said Kido wasn't a known player on the circuit, then you can reply. So basically, you shouldn't be replying back ever again. Reading>You
Someone with as litle knowledge as you about poker shouldn't insult anyone else buddy. Judging by your moronic statementYou are a clueless, trolling moron, at best. And I don't want to even get into what you are at worst.So when you learn how stupid and wrong you are, and how you don't even know what those words meanReading>You
You know, it's comments like this that cause you to be disliked. Tone it down a little and you might start getting a little respect around here.
The payoff structure in a tournament is top-heavy and you need a lot of chips to place high. The times that he gets lucky more than compensates for those times that he misses. Also, ppl keep harping about the fact that he called with a 6-high flush draw but I think the flush draw being 6-high was irrelevant. From the way the hand played out, Kido was pretty certain that Zilem had a big pair and that his flush draw was live. Kido played correct tournament strategy there - willingly taking gambles where he knows that he has the worst of it in order to accumulate the chips.
I respectfully disagree with you here. Yes, the payout structure of a tournament is very top heavy and eventually you have to accumulate alot of chips to win, but that doesn't mean you have to donk your way to a big stack prior to the final table. Look at how Hachem won the ME in '05. He was a shortstack pretty much the entire way and played very good tight/aggressive poker up til the last couple of players. If you're going to be a LAG tournament player you should be very good at it, otherwise you're pretty much just a donk. Players like Barry G, DN, etc have that style perfected and would never make the ridiculous plays that players like Kido Pham make. I watched the Circuit Event episode in question and the way Kido and Doug Lee played is simply indefensible by any rational human being.
I respectfully disagree with you here. Yes, the payout structure of a tournament is very top heavy and eventually you have to accumulate alot of chips to win, but that doesn't mean you have to donk your way to a big stack prior to the final table. Look at how Hachem won the ME in '05. He was a shortstack pretty much the entire way and played very good tight/aggressive poker up til the last couple of players. If you're going to be a LAG tournament player you should be very good at it, otherwise you're pretty much just a donk. Players like Barry G, DN, etc have that style perfected and would never make the ridiculous plays that players like Kido Pham make. I watched the Circuit Event episode in question and the way Kido and Doug Lee played is simply indefensible by any rational human being.
I think someone has said earlier in this thread that given the amount of chips that was already invested in the pot, Kido actually had the correct odds to call off his chips on a draw. If someone can actually provide the chip counts for this hand, it'll be much appreciated.I think donking your way to a big stack is the same as willingly taking -cEV gambles in order to gain that big stack. For some players, they are actually very good at playing the big stack, hence they are willing to take huge risks to get that big stack. Here, I quote a 2+2 post by Gigabet (Darrell Dicken) regarding this.For those that do not know, there was a very long and controversial thread(in the MTT forum) about another hand that I had played. Basically, I had made a -ev call because I had felt that the positive ev I would gain later in the game, if I win the hand, outweighs the negative ev of the specific hand. Because you cannot mathematically prove the positive equity of future happenings with any certainty, this is all theory. In that post, he was talking about calling an all-in for a decent chunk of his stack with Q3. He felt that it was correct for him to take the -cEV gamble to get the big stack since he can then wield that big stack well.Now, Gigabet's Q3 situation may not be exactly the same as Kido's situation (calling all-in with 6-high flush draw), but the same overarching concept is clear - taking -cEV gambles to gain the big stack. Just because Gigabet feels that this gamble is correct to take doesn't meant that it's correct to take for all of us. It really depends on your ability to play the big stack.

I was in the audience at the circuit event when the Hachem hand went down.Though I don't remember the exact stacks or blinds, the action went:* JC Tran raises UTG (with AQ as it turns out, but we didn't know that until TV)* Folded to Kido in MP who reraises with JT* Folded to Hachem in the cutoff who reraises* Scotty folds, blinds insta-fold, JC insta-folds* Kido thinks for all of maybe 5 seconds, and pushes in, which was about a pot-sized reraise. Hachem had him covered by about 5 BB.* Hachem actually thought for about 30 seconds before calling, had asked for a chip count, but then waved it off and calledWhat you have to realize is that prior to this hand, Tran was playing pretty aggressive, but in a controlled fashion. He was playing position more than cards, so raising UTG meant something halfway decent.Hachem had been involved in maybe 2 hands prior to this, and we're probably 1 & 1/2 hours into the final table at this point. He had plenty of chips and no reason to risk them doing something stupid.Kido had been playing just about every hand he could. There was absolutely no reason for Kido not to realize Hachem had a huge hand there.

I was in the audience at the circuit event when the Hachem hand went down.Though I don't remember the exact stacks or blinds, the action went:* JC Tran raises UTG (with AQ as it turns out, but we didn't know that until TV)* Folded to Kido in MP who reraises with JT* Folded to Hachem in the cutoff who reraises* Scotty folds, blinds insta-fold, JC insta-folds* Kido thinks for all of maybe 5 seconds, and pushes in, which was about a pot-sized reraise. Hachem had him covered by about 5 BB.* Hachem actually thought for about 30 seconds before calling, had asked for a chip count, but then waved it off and calledWhat you have to realize is that prior to this hand, Tran was playing pretty aggressive, but in a controlled fashion. He was playing position more than cards, so raising UTG meant something halfway decent.Hachem had been involved in maybe 2 hands prior to this, and we're probably 1 & 1/2 hours into the final table at this point. He had plenty of chips and no reason to risk them doing something stupid.Kido had been playing just about every hand he could. There was absolutely no reason for Kido not to realize Hachem had a huge hand there.
Thanks for the info but I was talking about the hand where Kido called Zilem's all-in on the flop with a 6-high flush draw.
Thanks for the info but I was talking about the hand where Kido called Zilem's all-in on the flop with a 6-high flush draw.
Yes I know. But people brought up the other hand as well.The answer to your original question is that Kido plays a high variance game and so you won't see him at a lot of final tables, etc.

TheCorporation3 Today, 4:38 PM Post #125 Poker Forum VeteranGroup: MembersJoined: August 17th, 2006 Posts: 1,127 Member No.: 22,806Favorite Poker Game: Texas Holdem QUOTE(bascomeb @ Monday, September 25th, 2006, 4:30 PM) **** you all tell me how! I've tried not asking in other threads so I dont sound like a newb http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...4784&st=120**** off you moron. You'll never ****ing get it. Oh yeah, DIE! --------------------"Welcome the Jungle baby." - Scotty Nguyen, 05 WSOP short handed final table event where Doyle wins his 10th.

TheCorporation3 Today, 4:38 PM Post #125 Poker Forum VeteranGroup: MembersJoined: August 17th, 2006 Posts: 1,127 Member No.: 22,806Favorite Poker Game: Texas Holdem QUOTE(bascomeb @ Monday, September 25th, 2006, 4:30 PM)
52 years old, and you still don't have a life? I'm sorry to hear that.
I think someone has said earlier in this thread that given the amount of chips that was already invested in the pot, Kido actually had the correct odds to call off his chips on a draw. If someone can actually provide the chip counts for this hand, it'll be much appreciated.I think donking your way to a big stack is the same as willingly taking -cEV gambles in order to gain that big stack. For some players, they are actually very good at playing the big stack, hence they are willing to take huge risks to get that big stack. Here, I quote a 2+2 post by Gigabet (Darrell Dicken) regarding this.For those that do not know, there was a very long and controversial thread(in the MTT forum) about another hand that I had played. Basically, I had made a -ev call because I had felt that the positive ev I would gain later in the game, if I win the hand, outweighs the negative ev of the specific hand. Because you cannot mathematically prove the positive equity of future happenings with any certainty, this is all theory. In that post, he was talking about calling an all-in for a decent chunk of his stack with Q3. He felt that it was correct for him to take the -cEV gamble to get the big stack since he can then wield that big stack well.Now, Gigabet's Q3 situation may not be exactly the same as Kido's situation (calling all-in with 6-high flush draw), but the same overarching concept is clear - taking -cEV gambles to gain the big stack. Just because Gigabet feels that this gamble is correct to take doesn't meant that it's correct to take for all of us. It really depends on your ability to play the big stack.
you totally misunderstood why he pushed with Q3. it's not his ability to use a big stack. it's the way his stack relates to the table (namely the first two limpers). it's more of an SNG situation and doesn't relate to tourney's as well.however, i believe you are correct in that there are times where there are plays which seem crazy (or -ev) but are actually the correct decision. just because sklansky says it is not the correct decision does not make it so.
He jumped at me first...Scoll up and see for yourself. I don't write those out of no where...
I'm not a carebear.It doesn't matter if you are provoked. You tend to respond with foul and abusive language as soon as someone questions or insults you. If you were more civil you wouldn't get flamed and insulted. Simple as that.