Interesting Laydown

Ok, I was playing a $50 sng on full tilt last night. There were 4 people left, blinds were $150-300. I was in 2nd with 3700, chip leader had about 5,000, the other 2 had 2,900 and 1,900. I was the SB with 8dTs...it was folded to me and I just limped in...the BB was chip leader and checked. The flop came 9d-Jd-Qd. I bet out 600 and the BB immediately went all in. What would you have done?I opted to fold even though I figured they didn't have the flush but was putting them on a higher diamond then what I had and just had the bad feeling about getting outdrawn....I don't know, hard to explain how I could fold knowing I had the best hand. I typed in the chat box what I had and they showed me Qs-Td. Was this the right move being so close to the cashers? It actually worked out for me because the very next hand I knocked out the shortstack and went on to win the sng.

Ok, I was playing a $50 sng on full tilt last night. There were 4 people left, blinds were $150-300. I was in 2nd with 3700, chip leader had about 5,000, the other 2 had 2,900 and 1,900. I was the SB with 8dTs...it was folded to me and I just limped in...the BB was chip leader and checked. The flop came 9d-Jd-Qd. I bet out 600 and the BB immediately went all in. What would you have done?I opted to fold even though I figured they didn't have the flush but was putting them on a higher diamond then what I had and just had the bad feeling about getting outdrawn....I don't know, hard to explain how I could fold knowing I had the best hand. I typed in the chat box what I had and they showed me Qs-Td. Was this the right move being so close to the cashers? It actually worked out for me because the very next hand I knocked out the shortstack and went on to win the sng.
More info required. Please try again.

I would have folded preflop. And like you I would have folded to the all-in if I had called pre-flop (which I wouldn't have :club:).Next time do the following ....• Post this in strat• Don't post resultsCongrats on winning though :D

1. Why did you limp in with T8 if you flopped the 2nd nut straight with a gutshot flush draw, and bet/fold?2. You are playing too high, and are paranoid. You said "just had the bad feeling about getting outdraw." This is a stupid excuse to fold a straight in this situation, even if they have the flush.3. Don't focus on results. If you folded and came in 2nd or 3rd, would you post this hand?
1. Why did you limp in with T8 if you flopped the 2nd nut straight with a gutshot flush draw, and bet/fold?2. You are playing too high, and are paranoid. You said "just had the bad feeling about getting outdraw." This is a stupid excuse to fold a straight in this situation, even if they have the flush.3. Don't focus on results. If you folded and came in 2nd or 3rd, would you post this hand?
If there weren't 3 to a flush out there I would have called instantly but for some reason I had a bad feeling. There is nothing wrong with going with my instinct. It was worth 100 to see a flop...which was a good flop for me, but like I said, the diamonds scared me after the all-in bet. Plus I did not want to go broke that hand with 2 players having shorter stacks than me with the blinds being so high.But yes the correct play would have been to fold preflop, however that is not the question I asked.
Ok, I was playing a $50 sng on full tilt last night. There were 4 people left, blinds were $150-300. I was in 2nd with 3700, chip leader had about 5,000, the other 2 had 2,900 and 1,900. I was the SB with 8dTs...it was folded to me and I just limped in
Stop right there tiger.Don't get involved with the chip leader at those stages if you don't have to. Especially with a marginal hand like 8-10o. See, now if they were suited you wouldve flopped a straight flush! Moral: Play suited cards, (jk)
Ok, I was playing a $50 sng on full tilt last night. There were 4 people left, blinds were $150-300. I was in 2nd with 3700, chip leader had about 5,000, the other 2 had 2,900 and 1,900. I was the SB with 8dTs...it was folded to me and I just limped in
Your options were raise or fold. Not call.End of discussion
I agree. I shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with.
wrong.All 3 are plausible options, and very minor issue.It's t150. With no read on BB we don't know how good / bad preflop is.It's not horrible, that's for sureI'd like a bit of a read on BB and the flow of the game so far.**************Post flop was pretty bad however.BB probably thinks he's semibluffing against a pair.Would a made flush push here?You're not ahead of the other two enough to forfeit this big pot.
wrong.All 3 are plausible options, and very minor issue.It's t150. With no read on BB we don't know how good / bad preflop is.It's not horrible, that's for sureI'd like a bit of a read on BB and the flow of the game so far.**************Post flop was pretty bad however.BB probably thinks he's semibluffing against a pair.Would a made flush push here?You're not ahead of the other two enough to forfeit this big pot.
Sorry actuary, I love you to death (you have a nice ass), but the options are raise or fold here 99% of the time with that hand. Your read would determine your option. I can't see a call being right.
Sorry actuary, I love you to death (you have a nice ass), but the options are raise or fold here 99% of the time with that hand. Your read would determine your option. I can't see a call being right.
Preflop? the complete is the best option. Youre getting 3:1 odds on a hand thats dead even vs a random hand. To call is less than 5% of your stack and doesnt hurt your lead over 3rd place since you are moving out of the blinds. The hand will show almost all of its potential on the flop, so its not going to suck you along. If he is going to play back at you with air sensing weakness, its only cost $150. Calling is break even hot and cold if raises 60% of the time. Even if he raises 90% of the time, thats -$45 tEV...easily made up by 3700 you can win the other 10% of the time. Folding is out of the question.Is it worth a raise? Youre up against chipleader. The only plausible reasons to raise here are if theres a high probability of a fold...which you dont have the information to assume, or if you raise an amount that inhibits him from raising that extra 40% above the 60% break even point. But even at 100% that risk only costs you 60 TC..why "buy insurance" against that risk that will cost you more than that risk?Raising is a poor option here.After that flop? call. there are ton of hands that will try and protect against draws and or semi-bluff.

I suppose its hard to "hate" folding when you have a marginal hand, even getting good odds, since it lays the groundwork for a possible steal later, if BB remembers that you dont always play in a b vs b situation.When its a suited hand or connected/one gappers there is so much potential for a decent pot I am very reluctant to give them up. And you already know I prefer to not raise Aces. If the only hands I limp with are Aces, I only raise with a pair, and fold the rest, it becomes pretty obvious. Limping with these hands helps disguise those Aces, and sometimes I'll show a hand folded on the flop to set up for a future limp with an A.

My feeling was that the guy was on a huge draw and it wasn't worth busting out in 4th place. I had the 2nd nut str8 and not a big flush draw. I figured my best option was to fold and just wait, even though I knew I had him beat with 2 cards to go. It seems the chip leaders in these tournaments get a little "luck advantage" when people are all in against them. It might not have been the best play because it is playing "scared poker", but I figured one of the other two short stacks would make a mistake because the blinds were hitting them next. I guess I got lucky and was able to knock them out.As far as preflop, I personally did not mind limping in to complete the blind because if he raised his option, then I just get out, no harm done. That extra 150 did not make or break me.

I figured my best option was to fold and just wait, even though I knew I had him beat with 2 cards to go.
It wasn't.
It seems the chip leaders in these tournaments get a little "luck advantage" when people are all in against them.
They don't.
It might not have been the best play because it is playing "scared poker"
Correct.
but I figured one of the other two short stacks would make a mistake because the blinds were hitting them next.
If that's your attitude, fold preflop and save the 150.
As far as preflop, I personally did not mind limping in to complete the blind because if he raised his option, then I just get out, no harm done. That extra 150 did not make or break me.
You flopped a straight with a gutshot straight flush draw. What else are you looking for with T8o? I don't mind the call preflop, but when you hit a flop this hard you can't fold.
You flopped a straight with a gutshot straight flush draw. What else are you looking for with T8o? I don't mind the call preflop, but when you hit a flop this hard you can't fold.
Rainbow flop and I am beating him into the pot. There were too many hands that could have beat me.I see everyone's point, I really do. But it was not worth committing all of my chips to possibly bust out in 4th.
I see everyone's point, I really do. But it was not worth committing all of my chips to possibly bust out in 4th.
no one plays to get in the money more than me.and even I'd never fold thisyou aren't ahead of the other two by enough to not call here, see?It's not like someone has 400t.Plus, while there is some risk of busting, it will also dramatically help your chances of getting 1st by calling here.On Party, the difference between 1st and 2nd is as big as 4th to 3rd.btw I like the BigStax push hereps. Post these in Tourney next time. see how much better the advice got once it was moved?