My Bank Account Got Cleared Through Neteller.

This one gets Macs too.On Friday my Neteller account was compromised. They got in by hacking into my e-mail (unfortunately, the necessary account info from Neteller was in old dated e-mails). I woke up to find that I had no access to one of my e-mail accounts, and no access to my Neteller account. The villain had gone into my Neteller account and changed the password and all contact info.I have a Mac and can confirm this was not a virus/ keystroke logger. Someone nailed my e-mail and then went crazy.By the time I woke up, the villain had made $2950 in withdrawals. Neteller shut down the account and will get back to me (in a week) with the reuslts of the investigation. The solution: I closed the bank account and opened a new one. Even instachash transactions take days to clear. In the interim, my bank suggested that I move my money to a new account.The same thing could happen with any of these services... The real solution: use multiple passwords, change them often.

Point noted.But someone who has accounts with both (Firepay and Neteller) might get hit twice. I was lucky that I caught onto to this quickly, so I will not lose anything, but we all need to be more vigilant.I was fortunate that the villain was not very bright. If he/she had not locked me out of my own e-mail, I would likely not have found out until the money cleared my bank account.

I didn't say that this was a Windows only problem. I said that the targeting of Neteller as opposed to Firepay, etc. was similar to hackers targeting Windows instead of MacOS, etc.
I understand what you are saying Wilheldp that it's the "biggest" company they are trying to hack. I think Neteller must be recognizing that there might be a problem of some kind with their site security. When this all started, Neteller had us calling our banks to get their fraud depts involved and have them refund the money (insured by the banks). Why is Neteller now repaying the lost funds themselves, which would not trigger an insurance reimbursement ? I wonder if Neteller is just being really nice or if the banks were complaining that there was an awful lot of "funny business"/fraud involving Neteller accounts.Viking....your case sounds a little different than many of the others. On my (and many others) case, the money was just sent to a poker site . There was no changing of our email/passwords/contact info stuff.

I simply set my instacash limits to $100 per week. If I ever bust and need to pull money from my bank I guess I will have to do it at a very slow pace. That will give me time to cool down after going broke. Hopefully that does not happen.Why shut it down completely when you can set your own limits. If I lose $100 bucks to a hacker I really don't care that much.

Finz- The technique used in my case with Neteller is somewhat savvy and may be a response to the growth of these problems. With most of us, we get an e-mail confrimation of a Neteller transaction. If the villain changes the contact info, then the victim is not notified of the theft. This gives the villain (potentially) more time to mess around. The money withdrawn from my Neteller account was sent to poker sites, but if my e-mail had not been tampered with as well, it would have been days before I was aware of it. (All the utility of changing my Neteller contact info was undone because the moron also locked me out of my own e-mail.)

And that is the smart thing to do.BTW-Neteller has been very good about my case all along. My account is still inactive because of how long it takes the transactions to clear. But there is no question that all I will suffer in the long run is some inconvenience.

And that is the smart thing to do.BTW-Neteller has been very good about my case all along. My account is still inactive because of how long it takes the transactions to clear. But there is no question that all I will suffer in the long run is some inconvenience.
I got my account hacked about 2 weeks ago. Sucks. took alittle over $800. The only upside is neteller has VERY good support. Got my money back easily and quickly. Anyways, at this point if there is any regualar at this site that hasn't called neteller to set their instacash to >$100... well their just dumb asses, or the worst loseing player on the earth.

I don't feel bad for you. All you're doing is advising people that aren't smart enough to keep their private information locked down, to deter anyone who gets it from getting the money out.It's not like some elite hacker guy is just cherrypicking random accounts and hacking into them. You're computer is either already at risk and they got the info through a keylogger or trojan, or you've had your neteller info elsewhere on the internet where it shouldn't be.So my advice is to learn the basics of security for your computer and also if you're really concerned, maybe you should look into how people obtain this information. (keyloggers, trojans, fake forms, guessing secret question to your hotmail account, etc)

Most people do things poorly from a security standpoint. How many of you have registered for a site and given them your e-mail address and a password that's the same as the password for your e-mail account? I'd guess that 25-50% of people use the same password for every site they register for including yahoo mail, gmail, hotmail, etc. Sure we know it's a bad idea but "I don't care too much if anyone reads my boring e-mails". You forget though that if they can get access to your e-mail they can get access to any site that will e-mail your password to you if you "forget".The problem is that sites like Neteller, FirePay, PayPal, etc have put convenience before security. Most people want it that way until they get their money taken. There are some simple steps that these companies can take to increase security. It'd be simple for Neteller to require you to re-enter your bank account number before every transfer. It'd be terribly easy for them to have you enter your cell phone number and text message you every time you did a transfer. And if they're going to allow you to change your contact info they need to send a notice to your old e-mail/cell phone # so you can call up quick if you didn't request it. These are all simple measures.Sure you can make things better by turning off insta-cash but that really doesn't prevent anyone from doing a transfer just makes it take longer. Sure you can and should use good password for your e-mail and neteller accounts but if you're like most people you have 300 different accounts and using unique username/passwords for each would be next to impossible. We pay fees to Neteller and Firepay and Paypal for providing a service and security is part of that service. It's time to start demanding we get our money's worth.

NH Konidias, I am sure that all of us feel cheered that you don't feel bad. We also appreciate your useless lecture on security. I am thrilled that we made you feel so good about yourself.If you had read my posts, you would know that my Mac was not subverted by a keystroke logger, trojan, etc. Nor have I responded to any phishy messages. Neither I, nor Comcast, have any idea how my e-mail account was hacked, but I will clue them in on your terrific insights! Unfortunately, hacking is possible and the answer is vigilance.psujohn makes a good point that Neteller, Paypal, etc. could work to improve their security as well. For example, once the villain had access to my Neteller account, he/she was able to change all of my contact info online without having to answer any of the security questions.

****, I cant logon to neteller at work (I tried before)because my account gets locked down due to an unfamiliar IP address, so I have to wait until I get home to check. I am going to limit my InstaCash to $200 but what if I want more than that? Will I end up having to pay a fee? Im scared.

I just got off the phone with neteller. And what they told me is that it is likely that someone from a poker forum is likely to have done it ( this beiing the only poker forum im on) at the time my money got robbed my password for this forum and my e-mail were the same. The guy said, that people just hack the forums because its much easier then hotmail and yahoo, if they get your password in the forum they just hope its thesame from your e-mail, if they are right its often payday for them..SO..... it was someone from this forum that robbed me i hope your happy you bastardo. Im getting paid back but its still a bit ch.....

I just got off the phone with neteller. And what they told me is that it is likely that someone from a poker forum is likely to have done it ( this beiing the only poker forum im on) at the time my money got robbed my password for this forum and my e-mail were the same. The guy said, that people just hack the forums because its much easier then hotmail and yahoo, if they get your password in the forum they just hope its thesame from your e-mail, if they are right its often payday for them..SO..... it was someone from this forum that robbed me i hope your happy you bastardo. Im getting paid back but its still a bit ch.....
ok, I confess, it was meand just so everyone here knows, his fcp password is "rolled"