Should A Pitcher Be Able To Win The Mvp Award?

Pitcher for MVP??  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should a pitcher be awarded an MVP award?

• Yes, if they were the most valueable
    • No, they have the Cy Young award.

Johan Santana is having yet another amazing year, and as a result there are a few baseball writers across the country that are lobbying for him as the AL MVP. Many people, such as MDXS, believe that Pedro was robbed in, I believe it was 1999, when he lost the MVP award after having an outstanding season.Now pitchers already have their award for excellance, the Cy Young award, which is supposed to be given to the best pitcher, or most valueable if you look at it that way. The question is, should a pitcher be able to win both the MVP and Cy Young awards? If so, what is the point in even having the Cy Young award?

Johan Santana is having yet another amazing year, and as a result there are a few baseball writers across the country that are lobbying for him as the AL MVP. Many people, such as MDXS, believe that Pedro was robbed in, I believe it was 1999, when he lost the MVP award after having an outstanding season.Now pitchers already have their award for excellance, the Cy Young award, which is supposed to be given to the best pitcher, or most valueable if you look at it that way. The question is, should a pitcher be able to win both the MVP and Cy Young awards? If so, what is the point in even having the Cy Young award?
Santana should not be the MVP. A pitcher has to have a phenominal year in order to win the MVP. Pedro deserved it in 99 and Guidry deserved it in 78, but they didn't get it. If they didn't win it there's no way Santana deserves the MVP as he hasn't put up those kind of numbers.

Oh, yeah I totally agree. I should have clarified that. Santana isn't having one of those standout, stand alone seasons. It's just another great one for him. And I should also say that I voted no, so of course I don't think he should win it.

Yes, pitchers should be able to win the MVP. Yeah, okay, pitchers have the Cy Young Award. So? Hitters have Silver Slugger awards and a few others, and defensive players have Gold Glove awards of their own...the MVP is out of everyone. If a relief pitcher has 140 appearances with a 0.00 ERA with 280 K and 0 BB and a 35-0 record..he should be able to win the MVP. Position shouldn't matter.

With the success of David Ortiz...should a DH be able to win MVP?If you think about it, defensive ability rarely gets mentioned when talking about MVP, typically offensive numbers are just shown.I can see good points to both sides. I guess I lean a little toward no, since they do not have to play any defense which is 50% of the game.

Yes, pitchers should be able to win the MVP. Yeah, okay, pitchers have the Cy Young Award. So? Hitters have Silver Slugger awards and a few others, and defensive players have Gold Glove awards of their own...the MVP is out of everyone. If a relief pitcher has 140 appearances with a 0.00 ERA with 280 K and 0 BB and a 35-0 record..he should be able to win the MVP. Position shouldn't matter.
great post. took the words out of my mouth.

Ok, we have the Silver Slugger awards. Who can tell me the reciepiants of that in the last three years? I can't ever remember reading in the paper about the SS award. If they make it a bigger deal than I could maybe agree with you, but until then there are really three awards; MVP, Cy Young, and ROY

Pitchers and DH's should be able to win the MVP.
I agree, though they should have to that much more dominant to make up for their lack of playing every day or lack of playing the field, respectively. Also, hitters now have the Hank AAron Award, for what it's worth.
They should be able to, but it would take an absolutely dominating performance for it to happen. No chance for it to happen this year.
He won't get it, but Santana deserves consideration.
Or 69 appearances, a record of 7-1, 1.91 ERA, 93 K and 11 BB in 80 innings, and 51 saves - Dennis Eckersley in 1992 when he won the Cy Young and the MVP.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just wanted to bump this to bring it up that I recently discovered that it says "Most Valuable Pitcher" right on the Cy Young Award plaque. I still don't see why people insist that pitchers be considered for MVP even though they have their own Most Valuable award.