After Hours Rant

Say what you will, but being a successful poker pro requires a lot of gamble and a lot of aggression. Granted, for some people, it's a very quiet aggression while others are loudmouths but they both have it. You need that aggression to get everyone else's chips. It's not just friendly competition for pros, it's money and it's their livelihood. While it may seem petty, it's all a part of that aggression.

Say what you will, but being a successful poker pro requires a lot of gamble and a lot of aggression. Granted, for some people, it's a very quiet aggression while others are loudmouths but they both have it. You need that aggression to get everyone else's chips. It's not just friendly competition for pros, it's money and it's their livelihood. While it may seem petty, it's all a part of that aggression.
good point :club: but its the overt hostility that wears on me. Not to mention the obsession with the state of other players affairs. Poker players are worse than a jewish tea party when it comes to gossiping
My roommate and I were havin a conversation tonight when our party died down after the company had left.... when we were cleaning up havin some late nighters, he made a very good point that really sunk in with me....so Im gonna share it with FCP readers for better or for worse.Sometimes you just gotta let it rip with no consequences...speak your mind and not give a flying f**k what anybody thinks. So lets do it.IMO Poker is such a beautiful game. I think we can all agree on that. The strategy, the egos, the essense of the game challenges us all on so many levels in ways unique to our own personalities and abilities. To me I see poker as a true test of competition for every man....whether he is fat, skinny, ugly or whatever. Its a level playing field that every man can compete in regardless of athletic ability or lack thereof. I love poker because it tests my patience, my desire and my fortitude....and you don't even need a G.E.D. to jump in the mix. Its a stage for all competitors..black, white, jewish, muslim, purple, orange who cares where you came from, where you've been or what your bank account is. Poker is the great equalizer.But what really disappoints me (and Im sure many others) is the collective mindset of our 'profession' is that so many of us (I am by no means excluding myself) are so hostile, vindictive, and downright hateful towards the competition. We 'flame', berate, degrade, expose and discredit other players because we as poker players feel we are superior to the competition.On a personal level, I love poker because it challenges me mentally, physically...tests my limits of tolerance, and demands absolute devotion if expected to succeed in the long term.The real issue is that for some reason as COMPETITORS, the nature of the poker player seems to be driven by the need to berate and humiliate other players...at all costs. Be it a bad play, a busted bluff, bad bankroll management or general demeanor. The poker "community" (and I use that term extremely loosely) seems hell bent on bashing and degrading anyone that challenges their invincibility.Its safe to say that 90% (conservative estimate) of every last poker player on Earth seems to think he/she is the 'BEST'...we are all the next (fill in the blank with the WSOP champ of choice), so when someone suggests an idea or an approach to the game which we might not agree with...the knee-jerk reaction always seems to be >> (you are an idiot....horrible play...you are a donkey etc etc) and somehow evolves into a flame war complete with personal insults and venom laced cyber threats.In the venue of message forums IMO this is an aspect of the game that has spiraled out of control. Everyone is so concerned about what limits this person is playing...how much did he lose...is he busto..etc etc etc.Why are poker players such gossip whores ? Why is everyone so consumed with the state of other players bankrolls ? Every day I see a thread on P5's about how Mike Matusow is such a loser/degenerate etc. LOL Good lord its positively pathetic to witness .01/.02 limit NOOBS berating name players and dishing out critique for established name players. Not just Mikey but Prahlad, Jamie Gold, Greg Raymer, Chris Moneymaker and so many other pros that 'made it' . I suppose its just veiled envy, but nevertheless its pathetic that some of (us) are so intent on discrediting others that have had more success than we have.Anyway Im rambling, but I guess I am just disgusted that our 'community' as poker players is so ridden with gossip hounds and discussion of how the other guy f**ked up, or how he is a fluke . Ive been playing poker now for 4 years and I've had to read over and over how Chris Moneymaker is a joke....how Greg Raymer is a joke and how Joe Hachem is a joke and now Jamie Gold is a joke....all from the same collection of players who would auction off their right testicle on Ebay for the same recognition that the aforementioned players enjoy today.This is supposed to be a gentlemans 'sport' , but sadly its full of 'Micons' and other lowlifes who insist on perpetrating story lines of slander, degradation and belittling anyone who isn't in the clique' of the new generation X of poker as we know it. The arrogance of some of the online 'elite' make me want to puke. If we just embraced the spirit of competition and left the personal sh1t at the door this would be a much better poker world for all of us.ok nuff said I could go on but this is long enough....flame away Im sure I am going to get ripped for something :D
Did you guys take alot of 'E' on this night? Sound slike you need a hug. :club: