******official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread******

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger played the Super Bowl with broken ribs, SI.com's Peter King has reported. Coach Mike Tomlin had denied any injury problem with Roethlisberger in the week before the Super Bowl. Roethlisberger was seen stretching his mid-torso region throughout the week and apparently was comfortable in the game, going 21-for-30 with 256 yards and the game-winning touchdown late in the fourth quarter to Santonio Holmes.Roethlisberger also threw an interception and was sacked three times. The Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals 27-23. "Fractured ribs,'' Roethlisberger told SI.com. "Luckily, in the game, I didn't take any big hits to make 'em hurt. But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn't have been anything they could have done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play.''Roethlisberger was drilled in the back by a helmet during the AFC title game against the Baltimore Ravens on Jan. 18 and did not leave the game, though backup Byron Leftwich hurriedly warmed up.
The article suggests the broken ribs weren't discovered until after the game but there was certainly something wrong. From the bottom of page 1 of the article.
Regarding the celebrated ribs: Roethlisberger was speared in the kidney area in the AFC Championship Game. His midsection hurt so much that he had X-rays before the Super Bowl. They were negative. But a subsequent MRI told a different story. He found out last Thursday."Fractured ribs,'' Roethlisberger said. "Luckily, in the game, I didn't take any big hits to make 'em hurt. But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn't have been anything they could have done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play.''The kid from Miami of Ohio sucked it up pretty good. The Super Bowl win standings of the Quarterback Class of 2004: Roethlisberger 2, Eli Manning 1, Philip Rivers, J.P. Losman, Matt Schaub 0. Look at the three draft picks in the first round before Roethlisberger in 2004 -- cornerback DeAngelo Hall, wideout Reggie Williams, cornerback Dunta Robinson. Think Atlanta, Jacksonville and Houston regret those picks?
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steelers reach agreement with KemoeatuFriday, February 27, 2009By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-GazetteThe Steelers just came to a contract agreement with guard Chris Kemoeatu that will pay him $20 million over the next five years.There were reports that Kemoeatu was about to sign with the New York Jets for the same amount, but he decided to stay with the Steelers instead.

Steelers reach agreement with KemoeatuFriday, February 27, 2009By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-GazetteThe Steelers just came to a contract agreement with guard Chris Kemoeatu that will pay him $20 million over the next five years.There were reports that Kemoeatu was about to sign with the New York Jets for the same amount, but he decided to stay with the Steelers instead.
Sweet. I also think Saturday used us in his negoitations with the Colts IMO.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tomlin is smart..."Hungry is a word that I've been analyzing here of late. It's not hunger that drives me, it's not hunger that needs to drive our football team. Hunger and thirst are things that can be quenched. We have to be a driven group, we have to seek greatness. I think driven is a more appropriate word, it's a word I tend to use with them as we prepare for '09."http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09083/957819-66.stm

Random...I ate at Mike and Tony's (gyro place in the South Side) at a table next to Mike Logan on Monday night. I just gave him the head nod "Hello!". I was wondering if a guy like him would rather be recognized with something more than that while I was eating.While I was paying, a mid-20s guy comes in with a few friends and yells "IT'S SUPER BOWL CHAMPION MIKE LOGAN!". Logan looked like he wanted to tell the guy to STFU when the guy added "I'M A BIG FAN OF YOURS! GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON!" Logan responded "Yea, I retired a few years ago and do ESPN radio now..."

I'm surprised this isn't a bigger story, locally, although I'm sure Mark Madden was all over it. I'd love to hear what the Baltimore players think about this - you gotta think that they aren't happy with this request...at least publicly.
Yes, he was ALL over it.Also random, I sat near him at the HS Pens Cup games last night. He's was cracking me up with some comments.
Yes, he was ALL over it.Also random, I sat near him at the HS Pens Cup games last night. He's was cracking me up with some comments.
Awesome...you probably already know this but he's another fine grad of Shaler High just like yours truly.
Awesome...you probably already know this but he's another fine grad of Shaler High just like yours truly.
I did know that.
Did you find yourself staring at his teeth while he talked? *shudder*
He was behinid me, so I didn't talk directly to him or look at him more than for 2 seconds.But, I know what you mean.
  • 3 weeks later...
Trusting the Rooneys on this one....thats a lot of $$$$$$
Yeah - same here. I'm not so sure this wasn't an overpayment. I'm not sure if the Porter deal with Miami was used as a benchmark or what. I'm glad he's staying, but...

2009 Schedule NFL says its the 4th easiest schedule this year.1 Thu, Sept. 10 vs. Tennessee Titans NBC 8:30 p.m.2 Sun, Sept. 20 at Chicago Bears CBS 4:15 p.m.3 Sun, Sept. 27 at Cincinnati Bengals CBS 1 p.m.4 Sun, Oct. 4 vs. San Diego Chargers NBC 8:20 p.m.5 Sun, Oct. 11 at Detroit Lions CBS 1 p.m.6 Sun, Oct. 18 vs. Cleveland Browns CBS 1 p.m.7 Sun, Oct. 25 vs. Minnesota Vikings FOX 1 p.m.8 Bye9 Mon, Nov. 9 at Denver Broncos ESPN 8:30 p.m.10 Sun, Nov. 15 vs. Cincinnati Bengals CBS 1 p.m.11 Sun, Nov. 22 at Kansas City Chiefs CBS 1 p.m.12 Sun, Nov. 29 at Baltimore Ravens NBC 8:20 p.m.13 Sun, Dec. 6 vs. Oakland Raiders CBS 1 p.m.14 Thu, Dec. 10 at Cleveland Browns NFLN 8:20 p.m.15 Sun, Dec. 20 vs. Green Bay Packers FOX 1 p.m.16 Sun, Dec. 27 vs. Baltimore Ravens CBS 1 p.m.17 Sun, Jan. 3 at Miami Dolphins CBS 1 p.m.I see 14-2 ?

• 2 weeks later...
Gary Russel got cut today - I'm a bit surprised. I kinda figured he'd be used in short yardage situations again this year.
FRANK THE TANK! FRANK THE TANK! FRANK THE TANK! FRANK THE TANK!

I think Foote has a few solid years left in him - sucks to see him go, but it makes sense for both parties to cut ties. I'm just glad it was a friendly parting.I don't know much about Frank, yet, but he doesn't look fun to tackle.

• 1 month later...